The Accurate Reloading Forums
Re: First Crossbow Kill

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/794101541

05 October 2004, 13:35
bfrshooter
Re: First Crossbow Kill
Glad to hear you did good. I am from Ohio and took 4 deer with a crossbow there when my shoulder and elbow kept me from the compound. I now live in WV where even someone in a wheelchair can't use a crossbow. Talk about backward red necks! Of course this is the "good old boy state." I still love it here except it is a liberal, democratic state. For a state full of hunters, I can't understand them voting for anti-gun politicians. When Kerry makes them all hunt with sharp sticks and rocks, I won't feel sorry for them.
05 October 2004, 23:47
holzauge
The crossbow is a Barnett Quad 400 compound that I cock with a windless attachment. I don't know what that translates to in terms of pull. It shoots the @100 gr bolt at about the speed of a .22 long rifle bullet. Using the cheesey little scope I got in the package deal I can shoot a 1.5 to 20 inch group at 30 yards OTB. It feels much like a rifle and I feel really effective to about 45 yrd.s. I like everthing but the super creepy, heavy trigger but to get a much better trigger I would have had to spend much more money and I didn't want to do that without knowing if I'd like shooting a crossbow. In truth though, at the ranges over which I'd ever use it are so short I don't think the trigger matters much and I didn't even notice when I killed the deer. I bought it without any real knowledge of such things. Since then I found a good private range where the owner is avery helpful expert. He helped me zero it in and said Barnett's new Revolution is much better at about the same price.
06 October 2004, 03:00
Plinker603
Quote:

Of course this is the "good old boy state." I still love it here except it is a liberal, democratic state. For a state full of hunters, I can't understand them voting for anti-gun politicians. When Kerry makes them all hunt with sharp sticks and rocks, I won't feel sorry for them.

It's because there aren't enough decent jobs here and a vast majority are on government handout programs. I have observed young guys on disability for bad backs that can still manage to drag deer out of the woods.

Personally, i make it a point not to admit my presidential preference, but, may the best looking... i mean, the best man win

Plinker