The Accurate Reloading Forums
First Climber

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1021043/m/7571006511

23 August 2009, 08:07
Kedron
First Climber
I've decided to purchase a climber for bow season this year. I have never used a climber so I was looking for some opinions and experiences with different models. A buddy recommended the Summit Razor for comfort and shooting ease but I want to make sure I get a good one as 20 feet up in a tree seems like a bad place to be disappointed in my equipment. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
24 August 2009, 06:14
elmo729
i use a gorilla greyback and love it, it works great and is cheap, something like 110 dollars new.
25 August 2009, 00:35
Shof
I've been very fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt from many different brands of treestands.

Without a doubt, the nicest one I've had the pleasure to hunt from has been the Cougar Claw Den II Prowler. I now have two of these with the leveling system and they're great. Comfortable, a reasonable weight and the leveling system is quick and simple to use.

I have two of them in the garage just waiting for the season opener.
26 August 2009, 01:03
OkieNewton
I just bought a summit 180. I plan on using it for rifle season. I like the idea of being able to face the tree. I had a home made stand before and the tree help to steady the rifle on a shot.
Okie

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.
14 September 2009, 01:04
Reloader
I own 7 climbers and have hunted from many others. It is hard to beat a summit.

The Viper is a very good stand. I use an open shot most of the time for archery, but hand climbers aren't for everyone.

Reloader
14 September 2009, 08:02
daniel77
I've always used Lock-on style stands. Not for everyone, but they allow me to hunt from any tree, not just those with no limbs and a good strait trunk of the correct diameter. I usually get above the first tier of limbs, and use the limbs as cover and free steps. I like the API version, but they are made right here so I'm probably biased. I would strongly advise against any of the ones made of steel, as they are too heavy to be holding with one arm while hanging from a tree. I have fallen once with a steel stand, from over 25 ft. (high enough to think about how this will end while falling). Thankfully I was 16 and still bulletproof. My .02.

http://www.apioutdoors.com/pro...|86&e=API+Treestands

http://dauphinhorsemanship.com/
15 September 2009, 22:50
Reloader
Daniel,

I found the cat's meow for hanging my lock-ons.

I recieved a Summit Seat-O-the-pants harness with a climber purchase. The harness has two loops on the belt. You simply run a rope around the tree and tie off to both loops. It is the best thing I've found for hanging a lock on. When you get to the spot you want to hang the stand, you just lean back and let the harness hold you with both hands free.

I know what you mean about hugging a tree and trying to hang a stand. The harness method is so much easier, not to mention safer.

have a good one,

Reloader
15 September 2009, 22:59
daniel77
Thanks, I'll try that. Not as young or thin as I used to be. jumping

http://dauphinhorsemanship.com/
17 September 2009, 06:44
Kedron
The Fed Ex truck just dropped off a new Summit Razor this afternoon. I won't get a chance to try it until next week due to a salmon fishing trip but I'll let you guys know what I think of it.
09 October 2009, 01:18
Kedron
I hunted out of the Razor for the last 5 days and was very impressed with its comfort and portability. It was pretty easy to climb with. I did get into a bit of a jam when I lost my footing on the bottom portion by not using the bungee properly. Thank god for cellphones or it would have been a long day of sitting on the rail waiting for someone to checkup on me. I've since improved my form and tied both sides of the bottom and top together.
09 October 2009, 20:06
Hughiam
There is nothing better than a Lone Wolf. I know Andre personally and his stuff is second to none.

Hugh

Pro Staff for:
In Natures Image Taxidermy
11 October 2009, 18:23
Czech_Made
Tree saddle anybody? I am at the stage of sitting it out in tree forks, but I am thinking about tree saddle to be safe and more comfortable. With three children it is not like I need to worry about pinching myself sterile Smiler in the tree fork, but can't hold it more than two hours on a good day.
Also according to the promo, you have 360 shooting area, the fork gives me 150 at max.