New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be Careful Out There
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The following story and pictures hit my in box today. I had an AD with a Glock in 1990 myself. Fortunately the only results were a hole in the floor, and a lot of embarrassment for me. Most people will respond to this thoughtfully. There will possibly be a few "how could he be so stupid" posts. Well, the best and the brightest among the population all have stupid moments.
Anyway, this illustrated story got me to thinking, and I hope it does the same for everybody else. I appreciate the candor of the author. Maybe the next hand that gets saved will be mine:

quote:
Well....I've always heard it's not a matter of "if, but "when". My number came up and I paid a hefty price.

Last Friday I was preparing to go shooting the next AM with a buddy of mine. I had just put a new a-grip on my Glock, and was going to clean
it after my wife and I finished our movie. Crash is an awsome movie BTW.

I put the weapon back together and inserted the mag. I did not pipe a round because I knew I was going to strip it later. I went upstairs
and put the weapon in the tool box in the garage.

About and hour later (mid-night or so), I returned to the garage to finish cleaning and getting gear together for the morning. I picked up the Glock, dropped the mag and prepared to remove the slide. I had done this literally thousands of times in the last fifteen years, but this times things were a little different. I grabbed the slide getting ready to push the takedown pins and pulled the trigger......BANG!!!!!

Apparently I DID pipe a round an hour prior. My shooting bud attributes it to force of habit, but why the hell didn't I check the chamber before pulling the trigger? Should that be force of habit too?

Not only did I set off a .45 in my garage, but it passed right through my left hand......Yep....I *******ing shot myself point blank. I'm still having a hard time getting my head around what I did. I was SO angry at myself. I have always been uber safe with any firearm, but one lack of procedure changed everything. I'm really taking this hard, and all the "it could have been worse", "accidents happen", and "thank god you didn't lose your hand statements really don't help. I guess I'm
getting over it, but it still seems very surreal to me.

Here are details....I know you all are morbidly curious, and I don't mind telling...it's kinda like therapy for me. I DID NOT hear the shot (nor did my ears ring afterwards), and it felt sorta like catching a fastball right in the palm of your glove. I have a very clear image,
and suspect I always will, of the hole in my hand...perfect .45 diameter, not bleeding....yet. It took a few seconds, and then the arterial arch in my palm cut loose. Blood like you wouldn't believe.

I think the fact that I was a Paramedic in a former life helped me out here. I walked into the laundry room and grabbed a towel to wrap it
up and called up the stairs for my wife to come down. I remember thinking "if I go get her, I'll mess up the carpet on the stairs". No lie. She came down half asleep and kind of grumpy, and I told her, "I just put a bullet in my hand". Said she was calling 911 and according to her I responded, "That would be a good idea.." My wife is neo-natal RN, and can remain cool as a cucumber. This helped me out too I think.

I went back into the garage, put my blasted hand on the floor kneeling on the towel and proceeded to open my ever present jump-bag with the other. I opened a US issue trauma dressing with my teeth, and proceeded to wrap my hand. Those dressing are the schiz nit by the way. My wife later told me it was very, "Die-Haredesque" ... I do remember cussing
at myself the entire time...I have never been that angry before ...

Four cops, the shift sup., a pumper truck and am ambulance later I was off to the ER. I didn't feel any pain until I got in the ambulance. The endorphins shut down and it hurt like nothing you can imagine. No tickets from the cops, but they did have to ask which weapon I did it with. My garage looks like an arsenal pre-range trip.

The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger, meta-tarsal, and "removed" two others. It destroyed the flexor tendon of my ring finger, almost separated my pinky tendon, and exited the right side of my wrist just above my watch band. There was a definite exit hole, but the blast force blew the side of my palm WIDE open about three inches in length. I didn't even see the exit wound until I removed my watch for the FD. Anyway, nine hours of surgery, three screws, a tendon graft from my forearm and about two-hundred sutures later I was put back together. My surgeon said if anyone has to get shot in the hand, this was how to do it. No nerve damage ... whew. Physical therapy twice a week for god knows how long, and the surgeon expects at least 80% > function back.

I've included a pic of the round. Snap-On tool boxes are quite literally bullet proof. The jacket separated from the slug when it hit the box; that's why the slug is flat on one side. If the mods permit, I'll post pics of my hand too.....it's pretty burly, and will drive the point home.

Thanks for listening. My wife thinks I'm crazy to post this, but it really does help me feel better. Remember....check the chamber twice, then check it again.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most of us are not as anal as we should be about checking things, I have made mistakes, and know people that are very well trained ex-law enforcement that have made them too. I only know one person that even when I hand him a weapon I just verified was empty still checks it as we4 all should. This reinforces it, thanks for posting.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LawnDart:

Just glad to hear you are okay.. and that it wasn't worst than it was!

heres to a speedy recovery!

beer

cheers
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for passing that story along.

Fortunately I haven't had an AD since those days long ago when I hunted with a Remington (defective safety/trigger design). Hopefully never again.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It takes a bold Man to put it out there for everyone to see. We all make mistakes and hopefully your willingness to share will prevent even 1 other person from having to experience your pain.
Don't be too terribly hard on yourself you are only human.

Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Ouch!

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure everyone on this forum has had incidents where a terrible accident could have happened.
Like the guy who laid a loaded 12ga down on the shooting bench with the muzzle pointing right at my gut (I was on the next bench). I stopped shooting with my early 20's daughter because she couldn't seem to stop swinging 1911's past me.
This accident definitely shows what firearm safety is all about. I really feel for the guy.

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
OUCH! As a buddy once told me, Death is comeing out the end of that barrel every time. This time it spared you.
Timan

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lawndart:
...The bullet (a Black Talon no less..) shattered my ring finger, meta-tarsal, and "removed" two others. ...
Hey JCN, Thanks for posting this story. Never hurts to reenforce to keep the muzzle pointed in a SAFE direction - and here is why.

Do you believe it just felt like the fingers were removed, or am I reading the above wrong.

Tell your buddy I'm wishing a speedy recovery for him too. Just happen to have Black Talons in my 45ACP too.

I try my best to consider ALL my firearms are fully loaded all the time, cleaning rod sticking through the barrel or not. Had a lot of people handle my firearms over the years and I always tell them they are completely loaded ALL the time. It is amazing to see how they immediately begin handling them differently once they hear that.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
YIKES! Never had that happen, but a buddy of mine managed to shoot an easy chair with a 12 gauge one day. He was cleaning a roomates old shotgun and cycled a round in to see if it would chamber.

The sear was worn and the gun discharged right into the easy chair, and just missed the big picture window.

After a change of underwear, he called me to help patch the hole.

Always assume the gun is loaded unless the barrel is removed from the action. And even then be suspicious!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a week or so ago I did a post in handguns obout an AD with a glock 45 in a bathroom at a gunshow. You're not alone by any means. If all the AD's out there were known about I believe it'd scare hell out of all of us. I headed up the towns firearms instruction for something like 25 years, and to a man, all of the instructors had had one of one type or another. It's one of those things that seem to happen more to either the young and inexperienced or to those older and having much experience, so much so that they do things by habit rather than thought. Sure is a wake up call, hope you're a quick healer - good luck

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Everyone understands that Lawndart is just passing this along, he can still play the piano at the local cathouse just fine.

Thanks for posting this. I've been fortunate that my AD was out in the woods. I thought the safety was on while carrying a rifle and gave it a reassuring squeeze- BOOM! Fortunately I was alone and the muzzle was pointing up at the treetops. Nowadays I like to carry my gun with the bolt slightly lifted if I have a round in the chamber.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
On this subject. I have always heard there are two types of gun handlers. Those who have had an AD, and those who have not had one YET. It's just like driving a car, very few drivers have a life time of driving without a accident.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted Hide Post
Well, that made my blood pressure go up! DON'T MISS THERAPY!! DO IT ALL AND OFTEN!! I'll say a prayer for your hand and for better numbers than 80%. Be careful everybody.

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amem to what OldCenterChurch says. Sorry to hear about this, but by posting it, you have served a wakeup call on all of us to not become to complacent. Speedy recovery and thanks for sharing again. Tell them not to tie the bows too tight on the Christmas gifts clap

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
I hope you have full recovery and use of the hand. You are not the first or last person to have a weapon discharge. Fortunately, you are alive and able to tell the story. I hope the forum folks take this seriously and it prevents them from having some type of similar experience. I wish you a speedy recover and I thank you for sharing your experience with the forum!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
Thank you for sharing. We can all learn a valuable lesson from your experience and that is you can never be too careful.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As prior members have posted. I hope this will help drive home the danger of handling firearms without the action open or the chamber checked in this incidence. And the fact that every firearm is loaded and that they should be handled that way. Thank God this individual is OK.

I had the exact same Glock, a 21, and the thought did cross my mind when I was disassembling it one day. So I changed my method of disassembling the Glock so that my hand was never in front of the barrel. After making certain it is unloaded by inserting a pinky into the chamber. First, pulling the trigger with it pointed in a safe direction. Second, makeing an OK hand sign with my right hand and sticking the back of the slide and top grip through the hole I have created with my hand. Third, I wrapped the rest of my right hand over the top of the slide. Forth, with my left hand, using my index finger and thumb, I pull down on the bar as I use my right hand's thumb, pressing against the back of the grip, to move the slide back enough to release it from the stop and slide it off of the front.

I have seen to many people use their left hand to hold the gun with the muzzle pointed at their palm as they use their right hand to pull down the bar to release the slide. Assumeing that the person is right handed.

I pray to God that these pics makes a person think twice the next time they handle a firearm. I have had too many firearms pointed at me and others at the range to take something like this lightly, loaded or not.

I hope the best for the recovery of this individual.

God Bless,

James

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems half the posters here think it happened to Lawndart. No wonder there are so many AD's.
Smiler
And seems most are with Glocks?

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi gang,

I did have a Glock AD, but that was in 1990. The only thing I really hurt was my pride.

I shoot Sigs these days.

Lois shot my truck once. She says it was an accident.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just recently had an AD and my only wound was severe embarrassment and a hole in the wall. Thank God! It takes a lot of courage to publicly diplay a terrible accident with the embarrasment potential of an AD. I pray you heal fast and well. Thanks for the courage and honesty to be the reminder for the rest of us.

Nice doesn't mean weak.

Posts: 74 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I well start out by saiding these are not accidental fireings.

They are UNINTENTIONAL DISCHARES

If you pull the trigger it was not a accident.

We had a officer do almost the same thing. But he shot his little and ring fingers off.

As a firearms instructor it always pains me when I hear about these. I felt lucky that that officer was not one of my students.

The ones I taught were giving me a hard time after the 50 times I said during feild stripping glass.

POINT IT IN A SAFE DIRECTIN AND PULL THE TRIGGER.

I have heard of more Unintentional discharges with glocks then most any thing. ( BUT THEN GLOCKS ARE BECOMING THE LAW ENFORCEMENT PISTOL OF CHOICE NOW DAYS.) One always has to remember when you pull on their triggers they well go bang if they are loaded.

Thanks for posting it is another person shoots his self with a glock story I can use in class.

Damm that must of hurt.

I put I hole threw my left hand in my machine shop the hurting started when they put that dam novicain in they poked all over. that real did not feel good

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote