THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CANADIAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Canadian Hunting    Canadian Walmart reports your gun pictures to police.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Canadian Walmart reports your gun pictures to police.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I found this post on Savage Shooters website where a Canadian Walmart store called the police because a lady brought in film to be developed that had guns in them. I thought us Californians owned the paranoia award!

June 3, 2005

Wal-Mart Canada Inc.
1940 Argentia Road
Mississauga, Ontario
L5N 1P9

Dear Sirs:

I am writing in regards to an incident that occurred last evening, June 2, 2005 at your Wal-Mart located at 35 Molson Park Drive, Barrie, Ontario, L4N 9H5.

I took a disposable camera in to be developed at approximately 7:00 pm and was told that they were running a little late and that it would take approximately an hour and a half and to come back at about 8:40 pm.

I decided to do a little shopping and grab a bite to eat. When I returned to the store at 8:30 pm, the cashier advised me that the pictures were not ready and it would be about 5 minutes and to take a seat. She then excused herself saying she had to use the restroom and before I could take my seat she had returned with a police officer in tow, along with the assistant manager Mr. Francis Manning.

You cannot imagine the surprise, embarrassment and humiliation I felt, being detained for almost an hour by the police, as I was not provided the anonymity of a private location while being questioned as to the contents of the film by the police officer. I did not realize that it was a crime to pick up film, and I am thankful only for the fact that my daughter was not with me.

On the film were pictures of 12 handguns, a photo of my place of residence and pictures of two of my children. After getting in touch with my husband for his required PAL number (Possession Acquisition Licence) which allows him to own the handguns, giving the information to the police officer, and after my husband speaking with the officer, a check was done which confirmed all the handguns were registered.

In the process of trying to reach my husband, Mr. Manning told me that if I had informed him as to what was on the film and provided him with the number (I assumed he was referring to the PAL number) there would not have been a problem.

I asked Mr. Manning when it became policy for Wal-Mart to contact the police when pictures of firearms were taken, as I have developed many photos of a similar nature in the past at the same location without any incident.

Upon my return home, my husband called the police department to verify that all information given would be strictly confidential, as an PAL number is a very personal piece of identification.

The following day, June 3, 2005, my husband contacted Wal-Mart Molson Park Drive and asked Mr. Manning if it was store policy that the police are called whenever a firearm is involved in a picture. His replied in an arrogant manner that it was not store policy, but that it was his personal agenda to call police whenever a gun appears in a picture.

My husband advised Mr. Manning that he would be letting all his hunting friends and all the gun clubs he belongs to know, that if they take their films to Wal-Mart Molson Park Drive for developing to make sure they have their PAL’s with them so as not to cause the unnecessary embarrassment and humility that I went through. Mr. Manning suggested that, that would be a good idea, he also advised my husband that he should also inform the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters and any other Firearms publications about HIS policy.

So I am now informing you that I have done just that. I have informed all of the friends my husband hunts with as well as the following clubs and publications:

Canadian Access to Firearms;
Canadian Shooters Rights (Edward L. Burlew, LL.B);
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters;
National Rifle Association;
Ontario Rifle Association;
Alliston District Sportsman’s Club;
Base Borden Rod and Gun Club;
Elwood Epp’s Hunting and Sports Store; and
The Wolf’s Den Hunting and Sports Store.

As a company that sells ammunition and hunting gear, I would like to suggest that if it is your company’s policy, or if it is the individual store policy, it should be posted as to not cause embarrassment or humiliation to any other customers as it was to me.

Sincerely,

R W
Cookstown, Ontario

Cc Wal-Mart Canada Inc.
35 Molson Park Drive
Barrie, Ontario L4N 9H5

This is an outrage! THERE IS NO WAY I AM SHOWING MY PAL TO SOME FLUNKIE AT WALMART. GUNS ARE LEGAL AND PICTURES OF GUNS ARE LEGAL.

I called the store in Barrie myself to confirm if this actually happened. Mr. Manning is not at work for the next couple of days but I was able to speak with the store manager and yes, the letter appears to accurately reflect the facts.

To his credit, the store manager was very professional and apologized on behalf of his associates and the assistant manager who called the police but stated that "society" would agree that calling the police was the right thing to do. I voiced my concern with him regarding the legality of photos of handguns and firearm ownership in general but I doubt that it did any good. Maybe there will be enough back lash from all of us that he will understand that firearm ownership does not make you a criminal. What has happened to this country???

For your information:

The store manager is Joel Breton, phone number is (705)728-9122 ext. 300. Feel free to call him and voice your displeasure with the personal agenda of his assistant manager.

There have also been many calls and e mails to the Barrie Police Department, info attached;

Barrie Police:

Wayne C. Frechette
Chief Of Police

Mailing address
P.O. Box 188
Barrie, ON
Canada
L4M 4T2

Telephone: (705) 725-7025
e-mail us at: info@police.barrie.on.ca

Barrie Police Services Board:

Same address

(705) 725-7025 Ext. 2699

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Canuck32
posted Hide Post
Never had any problems here in Alberta with hunting pictures at Wally world. Maybe its just this one store that seems to have a problem.

If you have that much to fight for, then you should be fighting. The sentiment that modern day ordinary Canadians do not need firearms for protection is pleasant but unrealistic. To discourage responsible deserving Canadians from possessing firearms for lawful self-defence and other legitimate purposes is to risk sacrificing them at the altar of political correctness."

- Alberta Provincial Court Judge Demetrick

Posts: 615 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 17 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this was posted on Canadiangunnutz a while back, it apperas to be just certain stores that have overzealous and paranoid employees. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it had been I, I'd also have written Walmart's CEO, in Berryville, Arkansas. Walmart is not a franchise, therefore, the CEO of the whole shebang might be interested to know what some dingdong anti-gun nut at one of his (gun selling) stores, is doing.

Just a suggestion, if it happens again.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PeterPan
posted Hide Post
ONTARIO is a paranoia state for firearms.
People here who don't own guns think like victims or future victims and they are no sympathetic to gun owners, because one day they may go coooco.

And yes there is some shooting in Toronto, but involves not law abiding gun owners, who actually look evil because they own legally guns, but young guys from broken families, mostly people of colour.

It is not easy to own and be proud gun owner in Ontario.

Posts: 202 | Location: Bolton | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Its a good thing i dont use walmart for photo finishing, i usually take it into a small pharmacy in a town near my home where hunters are a regular occurance. walmart is so policitcal it isnt even funny, i hate politics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Walmarts judgment day will come.It will be the biggest party day in my life.Them and Costco,especially Costco.I swear I will be in the very front when it happens.I will make sure they will capture me on T.V.It will be a day of celebration for many small time folks who got screwed over.Death to you Costco and Walmart.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is said Walmart now owns 51% of Remington, This should prove interesting.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a good story floating around ontario but no one has yet published it. About two years ago a little old lady realized she was a criminal under the new gun laws because she owned some guns her late husband had owned. Not being interested in guns she had never jumped all the hoops to get a licence. So she called the police to turn them in. Somehow the dispatcher got her wires crossed and sent out the message that there was a gun "incident" at this lady's home. The SWAT team broke into her home and beat her up. I know she is now in court with them but it has never gotten to the press as far as I know.

TV and the Liberal press have created the paranoia. Its important to undermine Liberal values, the Liberal Press and their supporting institutions. They really are dirt bags.

VBR,

Ted Gorsline

Posts: 1116 | Location: asted@freenet.de | Registered: 14 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ask a Cons. MP if it is true. There is probably a publication ban on the case to keep it quiet.
This seems like the sort of thing that the new group looking into removing the long gun registry might be interested in. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Besides the Mal-fart guy thinking he's head sherrif, I'd be pissed at the police for not telling him to mind his own fucking business. I could see concern if the pictures showed reckless use of guns or similer nature. As far as requesting a PAL # to develop pictures, I'm pretty sure that he should be the one in shit for that due to the privicy act. A store clerk can only ask to see a PAL/POL for I.D. if the indevidual is purchasing ammo or firearm.

The guy who helped me develope recent pictures of a trip to Texas sure wasn't like that. I had pics of me sticking hogs with a Ka-bar and guys with pistols on their belts and all he wanted was to hear about the hunt, and now waves and gives a big smile when I go in the store.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote