New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big bore Peep sight Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted
For your amusement. It´s a modified m16 a2 sight, with combat and precision peep on a brno 602 375 weatherby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like it. Been looking for something like that for awhile...

gs

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Haven´t had a chance to try it out yet, just finished it today. The 375 weatherby was inspired by RIP on this forum. I like ghost peeps on rifles that might need to be shot very fast and accurately up close but I also wanted a more precise peep to make long shots and take advantage of the trajectory of the cartridge. I looked around and found nothing better than the tried and true combat sights of the m16.
Glad you liked it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnAir
I think you will find with testing that switching from the "big hole" to the "little hole" will cause a change in elevation AND windage.
You can get an after market peep that has the same elevation zero with both "holes", however the windage change will still be present.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the large hole set up for 100 yards, the small hole should be set pretty close to 300 yards. That is a great idea.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnAir,
I do recall talking to you about the .375 Wby and your wise choice of Dave Manson for reamer with the circa 2001 .375 throat specs. thumb

That does look good if you can get the front sight blade high enough to zero as lawndart says.

I have found that I can fit an NECG Weaver-based peep on the CZ with just minor modifications. Others have used the NECG Ruger-based one as a QD peep on the CZ/BRNO, with minor fitting.

NECG once told me by email that they were possibly coming out with a peep to fit CZ/BRNO integral bases, but that was long ago, and I have not checked on it lately.

I will certainly look around for one of those M-16 peeps too ... with a gold patridge front of sufficient height, that would be sweet. thumb

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
JohnAir, that's very interesting, and I'm sure it will work and be hell for stout, but man it is ugly as sin. That's the problem with most peeps I've seen--they just ruin the lines of a rifle. Like sticking a John Deere steering wheel in a Maserati.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13387 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
JohnAir, since I can't post pics, feel free to also post the pic of my .416 Rigby "experiment" that I sent you with the uglier-than-sin "handle" for everyone's amusement. Wink I have a "loaded" (pins, detent, spring, and post) .750 ID AR front sight on its way, just to vacillate a bit more on the issue. animal Your NEW pics look much better than the "phone-pics." thumb

BTW, John how tall is your front sight or have you been able to use the standard sight?????? bewildered

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
NE 450 #2,
I´m on my way to the range after I answer these posts and I will let you know just how much change there was. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Lawndart,
I hope you are right. That would work out PERFECT!

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
RIP,
Thanks again for putting me on to the great 375 Weatherby. I took a NECG front patridge and filed the base to make it fit the BRNO. I have both NECG ruger and Weaver rear peep sights but I really wanted one with dual apertures to take advantage of the long range capability of the cartridge. Hope it works out.
I bought the rear sight from midway and cut off the elevation stem. It was only around $20.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
quote:
but man it is ugly as sin......... Like sticking a John Deere steering wheel in a Maserati.

rotflmo
Yeah it sure isn´t a traditional gun. Next step is to put a McMillan cz Express stock on it and make it a real ugly do all working gun!!!

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post

Woods,
here is your photo.

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
JohnAir, that's very interesting, and I'm sure it will work and be hell for stout, but man it is ugly as sin. That's the problem with most peeps I've seen--they just ruin the lines of a rifle. Like sticking a John Deere steering wheel in a Maserati.

Yeah, mrlexma. NOW WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY?!? Eeker animal I WAS 'jest playn', BTW. animal

Thanks for posting it, John. Wink

"They who would give up an essential Liberty for Temporary Security, deserves neither Liberty or Security." ---Benjamin Franklin

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

Posts: 693 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
JohnAir
I think you will find with testing that switching from the "big hole" to the "little hole" will cause a change in elevation AND windage.
You can get an after market peep that has the same elevation zero with both "holes", however the windage change will still be present.

N E 450 No2, "IF" there is a change it will be negliable and most likely due to the shooter. The two peeps are the same elevation, the ONLY difference is that the large peep flips rearward about .1" when compared to the small peep when flipped (and visa-versa). Sorry, not trying to argue, but I have an AR (obviously from the pic). sofa

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnAir:

Woods,
here is your photo.

LMAO!!!! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:

LMAO!!!! rotflmo

Yeah, I thought some folks would get a laugh out of that pic! rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo lol

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UGH. killpc

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HP Shooter:
quote:

Woods,
here is your photo.

LMAO!!!! rotflmo

Ditto. Much appreciated. animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess then you wouldnt have to sling the rifle over yer shoulder like its yer daddy's shotgun. Beergut and broke ass pickup optional equipment...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodsracer
Next time you go to the range shoot your AR at 100 yards with the "small hole" then on another target shoot at 100 yards with the big hole.
Let us know what happens. Unless you have "same plane" apperatures you should see a difference.
Watcvh the apperaturepivot on the screw as you change from the bitg to the small. the apperatures are revolving on the windage screw inducing a windage change.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
N E 450 No2, "IF" there is a change it will be negliable and most likely due to the shooter. The two peeps are the same elevation, the ONLY difference is that the large peep flips rearward about .1" when compared to the small peep when flipped (and visa-versa). Sorry, not trying to argue, but I have an AR (obviously from the pic).

Several aftermarket companies make sight blades with the large and small holes at the same elevation, but with the milspec sights the large hole is for shooting at close range (0-200 meters), and the small hole is for longer range work (out to 600 meters, ha, ha.) The smaller hole has greater elevation than the large hole. Purely a function of the sight being designed for a battle rifle (and designed for twenty year old soldiers' young eyes).

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me likey!

Looks like an M1903A3!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you know, they sell the A2 rear sights cut to mount on 1913 rails for AR15 flattops. you could get a 2 piece 1913 and mount that rear sight pretty much on anything you can mount a 1913 rail to. Now that I think about it, I like it. might have to get one when my 470 gets made.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Just tried it out. It hits 8 inches high at 50 meters. Looks like I need a taller front sight. I purchased a brockman generation III adjustable elevation tritium front sight but it is still at my Miami Beach apartment. When I get it down here I will try it out, hope it is high enough. This front sight is winged so it will go nicely with the rear and make a very stout set up.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
The sight definitely moves to the right as you flip the smaller aperture up (good on ya 450 NE #2). There seems to be no difference in elevation but I did purchase an aftermarket (the national Match). It was VERY fast offhand rapid fire at 50 Meters (the group in the 8 inch red circle) and the 4 shots in the cut out lower right were from bags 2 shots with each aperture. I improvised a point of aim to compensate for the high impact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30 caliber serivce rifle kool aid drinkers hate to admit it, but the M16A2 has the best sights ever installed on a US military rifle. Period. End of story.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
HP Shooter,
They certainly are easy to use accurately and quickly. It takes no conscious effort to line up the sights.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnAir,
Thanks for the information. Keep us posted on any front sight developments.

M-16 style sights may become standard on the HA! line of rifles.

I have settled for now on the Talley bases and peep for the Dakota African action (or a QRW base + NECG peep, which combination I like better than Talley anytime), and NECG peep for the CZ 550 Magnum ... with NECG Masterpiece front (banded/hooded/patridge) for both action types.

I prefer eliminating the open rear express sight, and having a peep to replace the scope if it ever comes off the rifle. Also, no barrel band sling stud, but rather a forend tip mounted stud for sling. Clean and functional, no-clutter-smooth.

Thanks again for the ideas. Good work! beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
HP Shooter,
They certainly are easy to use accurately and quickly. It takes no conscious effort to line up the sights.

No doubt, but the same can be said of the M1 and M14.

What sets the M16A2 apart from all others is that the windage and elevation mechanisms are virtually indentical in design (leadscrews and ball detents) to super expensive target rifle sights like this one:

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sight definitely moves to the right as you flip the smaller aperture up (good on ya 450 NE #2). There seems to be no difference in elevation but I did purchase an aftermarket (the national Match). It was VERY fast offhand rapid fire at 50 Meters (the group in the 8 inch red circle) and the 4 shots in the cut out lower right were from bags 2 shots with each aperture. I improvised a point of aim to compensate for the high impact.

Well, 450 NE #2, at least I was correct in the fact of no elevation change when flipping between the two. I am surprised about the change in windage though, I never thought about that. thumb Guess I never noticed that now that my AR wears THIS. Wink

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess it would make sense taht the windage would change beings that the peep rides on the threaded rod attached to the windage knob...

You know, they never told me that when I got trained on teh M16 initially, or my (many) refreshers, either. Guess the difference might not be that much if you sight in using the small diameter, and switch to the large for close up front stuff. wont make that much of a difference shooting at human targets inside of 100yd with it. Maybe, who knows.

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gixxer:
here it is, under $100 too.

http://www.dpmsinc.com/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FT-RS

That's COOL!!! thumb It's definitely less "gawdy" than my "handle" but there is less surface to GRAB ON to the CZ's receiver. Maybe you could Tig weld on a tab to go into the recoil lug on the receiver? bewildered Ahhhhhh, but THEN it almost looks like you would have to GREEN PARKERIZE the rest of the rifle. Wink

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
quote:
M-16 style sights may become standard on the HA! line of rifles.

Wouldn´t that be a hoot!! I could brag that I gave you the idea !! rotflmo

I like the NECG too. Here it is on my RSM:

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like the NECG too. Here it is on my RSM:

John, you did tell me that the NECG peep works with the factory .350" front sight, didn't you??? bewildered

Nice CHAIR, BTW......and the wood grain on your RSM is nice as well!!! thumb

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually now that I think about it I would go with the NECG.

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Woods,
Yes it works with the factory front sight height and centers nicely with 400 gn 2500 fps loads in the .416 rigby. You will remember that I switched to a NECG white bead.

One of Us
Picture of woodsracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Woods,
Yes it works with the factory front sight height and centers nicely with 400 gn 2500 fps loads in the .416 rigby. You will remember that I switched to a NECG white bead.

Yes sir, I had to go back to my PMs and rear all of our conversation. homer

"SIC SEMPER TYRANNUS"

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Gixxer,
The NECG looks "right" on the rifle but I sure would like to be able to flip up that little peep and be on at 300yds. That would make the rifle both a DG and plains game rifle.