Find
Notify
Tools

It has been a good weekend
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
Yesterday evening I got home happy, tired, hungry, and aching.
Aching because I spent a day in the wind at the temperature of -1�Celsius, I please our nordic friends, don't laugh, I suffer for cold wind, and yesterday , for me it was a really cold wind.
Probably it was better if I had spent some time at the resaurant, but I was alone and it was too early.
Happy, very happy because I got another black, big for our area, very bristled 120kg wild bull boar!
1 shot in the neck after two hours of waiting, in a green near the top of a mountain, trying to listen to the dogs howling the boar. At the beginning the boar stayed in a bramble bush scrub, indifferent to the barking dog, then at the right moment it got away invisible to a huntin buddy that was arrived near to it in the bush. Another buddy had the occasion to shoot but the boar made at him the surprise to be too near and too fast, beeing followed by the dogs.
Then a not too fast escape on the mountain, five or six hundred of quiet ascending always chased from the dogs, far few meters from it, and second by second more close to me .... It was the first time that I stay in that blind, and I have been told the direction that the boars take in this situation.....I climbed some meter to gain some more visibility and I saw one of the dog trotting toward to me and then the muzzle appeared and stopped looking around for danger.
The cross in the neck and the shot definitively stopped it in the tracks. Then a last tremor and the dogs attack made it fall for twenty meters down the hill ... the following has been a hard work to recovery my prey with two friends ... near the top of one of the mountain that surround part of E.Hemingway defined,after the WWII, The Perfect Valley ... Of course I agree with him.

bye

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Stefano with another "notch in the stock" This kind og hunt sounds exiting.
About the cold weather... Even we the Vikings get frosty and shaky the first cold days each fall.
But after a while you sort of get used to it, and the last days of roe hunt before Christmas ( end the 23. of December), are usually done in snow and temeratures well below zero.
The trick is to dress properly. No cotton, but wool and/or fleece, topped with wind and water proof outher shell.

Are you using shotguns or rifles when you hunt boar over dogs ?

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun hunt. Good luck for the season coming.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Steve.

It has been a good hunting weekend here as well. I went on "monteria" with my son, taking him to my same stand.

Only a couple of days after we returned from a trip fro the Alps where he shot a hardly earned 97CIC points chammois and this is the tremendous boar he shot.

Here is a picture of the territory that could be seen from our stand.

Shot was taken with a Brno 601 in 8x64S loaded with a GPA 156 gr bullet whic performed admirably well. The shot hit the boar in the abdomen and exited through the oppositte shoulder.

Before crossing a small opening at full speed it stopped to fight the dogs seriously injuring five of them.

A very, very exciting day, indeed.

montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank to all of tyou for the kind words.
Unfortunately mine do not have that tusks, strangely in this area boars's tusks are not too much developped.
However I don't look for trophy here in Italy.

Here below, instead, a more single than rare event in Italy a hunting photo, used to comment the taxes value that Romania get from hunt

"A CACCIA IN ROMANIA Due cacciatori francesi esultano dopo aver ucciso un cinghiale nel bosco vicino alla citt� di Oradea (600 km nord ovest da Bucarest). Oltre 2000 turisti-cacciatori, soprattutto da Paesi dell'europa occidentale quali la Spagna, la Francia o la Germania e gli Usa vanno ogni anno in Romania per cacciare orsi, cinghiali o lupi. Dalle tasse sulla caccia, la Romania incassa 3.5 milioni di euro ogni anno (Afp)"

The Italian caption says:
"HUNTING IN ROMANIA Two french hunter exult after thay have killed a boar in the woods near the town of Oradea ( a town far about 600 Km from Bucarest). More than 2000 Tourist-Hunter, from Spain, France or Germany and USA, go to Romania to hunt bears, boars or wolves. From hunting taxation Romania collect 3.5 million of euro every year."

And they forget the real amount of the business, because the above amount is only a percentage.

bye

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I forgot the technical data:

Rifle Sabatti Cal. 9.3x62 with a 4x by S&B mounted with Warne QD.

Cartridge reloaded using a Norma case, Nosler Partition bullet 286 grs, VVVN135 powders 56grs, Federal GMLR Primer.
I don''t remember the OAL.
The distance were about 40/50 meters.

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post

This French hunter is M. Angelvy. I saw him yesterday on the TV. The TV was bad-mouthing Romania and shooting as well, saying that too much bears are shot in this country. Sure there is an improvement. In the days before, there was only one hunter, the dictator Ceucescu.
Definitely Shooting is politically uncorrect!!!!!!!

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jbderunz,
is TeleVision made by clever people? at 99.99% no (the .01% are programs made by hunter)
Romania has an estimated poupulation of 5000 bears. It is a near to very accurate evaluation. Only very big male bears are huntable, all over 300 CIC points.
Romania has some (not 1, but 4/5 or more) deadly accident caused by bears every year. Last accident involved may people, 2 dead, 9 wounded.
Did the television spoke about this? No? As usual they are not genuine or transparent or honest, as they should be.
About Ceaucescu, maybe te only good thing that he has done was the creation of the hunting organization. The only one.
bye

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dear Steve,

THANK YOU, the facts You provided me help a lot.
I just give the TV (TF1) a severe roasting.
The hardest was not to be rude.
I don't let vile actions get away with everything.

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote