THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    SA Hospitals??? / Blue Cross Coverage

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SA Hospitals??? / Blue Cross Coverage
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Now that I've been on "a few" safaris...I thought it about time I checked out what my insurance covers Big Grin (As I'm traveling with my sons this July, and given the attention this matter has drawn over the last few months, I thought it prudent to look into this...).

I have BlueCross (BC/BS), which says they provide coverage when traveling just like in the States (participating versus non-participating facilities). Still researching...but they have a good "World Access" website that lists all participating providers.

There are a few doc's in Zim (Harare & Bulawayo) and Zambia (Lusaka), but no hospitals. In SA, there are a bunch, including quite a few in Joburg.

My question is for the SA AR members and/or anybody familiar with the medical system in Joburg - Are any of these "any good"?

Brenthurst Clinic
    Linksfield Park Clinic
    Milpark Hospital
    Mulbarton Hospital
    Olivedale Clinic
    Rosebank Medical Centre

As a general "FYI"...from the Blue Cross website (BC/BS Website):

When you need health care outside the U.S., follow these simple steps:
(1) Always carry your Blue Cross and Blue Shield identification card.
(2) Check with your Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan before leaving the U.S. because your health care benefits may be different outside the U.S.
(3) If you need emergency medical care, go to the nearest hospital. Call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center at 1.800.810.BLUE (2583) or call collect at 1.804.673.1177 if you’re admitted.
(4) If you need non-emergency inpatient medical care, you must call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center. The Service Center will facilitate hospitalization at a BlueCard Worldwide hospital or make an appointment with a doctor. It is important that you call the BlueCard Worldwide Service Center in order to obtain cash-less access for inpatient care. The Service Center is staffed with multilingual representatives and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
(5) Call your local Plan for pre-certification or prior authorization, if necessary. Refer to the phone number on the back of your card.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill C,

I don't have enough time right now to go into any detail but I can tell you that Milpark is a very good trauma hospital with good doctors. I spent nearly three weeks there in june and july after my wife was gored by a buffalo. In addition to your primary coverage you would be wise to also buy a supplemental accident and sickness policy that covers what your primary does not. I had both and $35000 later they covered nearly everything. Anyone that goes anywhere without full coverage is playing roulette. We used CSA Vacation Travel www.csatp.com

Jack Atcheson & Sons

www.atcheson.com

GO HUNTING NOW WHILE YOU ARE PHYSICALLY ABLE

Posts: 373 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the recommendations of numerous experienced hunters and travelers, I also purchased CSA Vacation Travel insurance. The entire package was reasonable. My domestic insurance would cover a lot, but it might be difficult filing and paying, and indications were that CSA would be accepted easier. Others recommended MedJet highly. I fought a thorn tree in the dark, and almost lost my right eye. Luckily, the ranch owners sent me back to Windhoek the next morning and their personal physician fixed my up for nothing (as a personal favor to them).

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DRB
posted Hide Post
Bill,

All of these are first class operations!

Regards
Dave

Posts: 179 | Location: Durbanville, RSA | Registered: 15 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bill,

This ties in with a previous post about Travel Medical Insurance. Here is the link for those that missed the earlier post.

Travel Medical Insurance

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill C:
_Are any of these "any good"?_

Brenthurst Clinic
Linksfield Park Clinic
Milpark Hospital
Mulbarton Hospital
Olivedale Clinic
Rosebank Medical Centre

I can vouch for Olivedale Clinic, as I've spent several days there after 2 mishaps. The hospital and the staff are absolutely world class. You won't find better care anywhere IMO

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the feedback. Bill

Edit/Added: Here is what my program (Capital Blue Cross) covers:

Hospital/Clinic ER Visit OR Doctor Office (Participating Provider): If not admitted, may have to pay upfront, but will be reimbursed. Facility may file claim, or can be done upon arrival home (using the "World Travel Claim Form").

Hospital/Clinic Admittance (Participating Provider): If admitted, all costs will be submitted by the hospital, no out of pocket expenses for services covered under the program.

Non-Participating Hospital/Clinic: Deductible must be paid plus likely be billed for full amount upfront, reimbursement through Blue Cross is 50% (although there are "exceptions" where they will pay more). Obviously, these are in areas (countries) where one would prefer to NOT be treated to begin with.

It is clearer to me now the roll of "supplemental insurance" (I'm personally satisfied w/what my BC/BS provides), and the MARS/MedJet service to get one to an appropriate facility of their choice (the next R&D project).

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Excellent potst!!! Can we sticky this for future refrence? I'm heading to RSA in September and would really like to refresh this info from time to time

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

I will put a link to this over on the Tips and Packing List topic on the Hunting Reports - Africa Forum.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote