Tools

How slow is too slow.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
Gun: 41 mag taurus titanium 4" barrel

Load 210 SWC 4.5 Clays

Speeds for a few shots: 512, 589, 485, 423, 487, 475, 522.

Is there any danger with these slow speeds.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
I would say that is slow, it is now a 41 special, not a magnum..lol

But I know I would not want to be shot by it. The recoil must be way down on that load.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting over the chrono from 200 yards away? Big Grin dancing

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The book shows 4 grains of clays going 825 fps.

I just want to make sure I am not going to get a bullet stuck in the barrel.

I have never heard of such low velocities before.

I did find a 38 short colt load that goes 490 fps.

It does kick like a 22.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot any clays in a .41 but if the book say 825 fps for 4 gr and you're getting 500 for 4.5, I'd check my chrono.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Is there any danger with them going this slow?

I also was shooting my other 41 mag loads through the chrony and they were spot on with past readings.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what velocity you're actually getting, but if it's in the 4-500 fps range,there is a very definite danger in the bullet not exiting the barrel with a velocity that low. If one is stuck, the next round will lead to some real excitement.

Posts: 272 | Location: North Carolina,USA | Registered: 17 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I have absolutely no information to back this up. But for my own peace of mind, I have a self-imposed limit of 700fps for any of my pistol loads. Nothing less.

If recoil is the issue, use a lighter bullet. Amazing the difference between a 110gr. .38 spec at 700fps and a 180gr. at 700fps.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I haven't shot any clays in a .41 but if the book say 825 fps for 4 gr and you're getting 500 for 4.5, I'd check my chrono.

Umm, just dawned on me. Are you using CLAYS or UNIVERSAL CLAYS.

Big difference between the two. I'm betting it's the latter...

Please be cautious with Clays. Normal Clays is similar to Bullseye. Universal CLAYS is similar to Unique. And there's not much difference in the packaging.

It sounds to me as if you used UNIVERSAL CLAYS Powder with normal CLAYS data.

Regards,

Robert

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
now that is interesting.

I will check into it.

I am using universal clays.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
So this is what I found

170 sierra jhc --UNIVERSAL--8.0=1229

200 cast ----CLAYS--4.0=854

210 XTP----UNIVERSAL--6.9=971

215 cast----clays--4.0=825

220 JSP----UNIVERSAL--6.5=921

245swc cast----UNIVERSAL--6.3=1001

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I do see they are two different powders.

Clays and Universal Clays.

Looks like the minimum that I should have been shooting is 6.3 universal.

Those slow 210's were all the ones I loaded with 4.0 grains.

I also loaded 50 220 jacketed bullets with 6.5 grains universal. These should be fine.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Oh man. That just makes me shiver. Reverse that order and Eeker

Glad it wasn't the other way around and that noone got hurt!

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This should be a sticky!!! Name it-What not to do when reloading!! Your lucky you still have your fingers and eye's!!! Please stop reloading until you get a clue!! Christ!!

One shot One Kill

Posts: 64 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 08 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PUMA454:
This should be a sticky!!! Name it-What not to do when reloading!! Your lucky you still have your fingers and eye's!!! Please stop reloading until you get a clue!! Christ!!

I made a mistake and you are a dumb ass.

Your the one that thinks you can shoot 475 linebaughs in 480 rugers.

I will learn from my mistake but you will still be a dumb ass.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:

You never made a mistake?

The powder companies shoulder never have named the 2 with such close sounding names.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
quote:

475 Linebaughs in a 480 Ruger?????? Please take a video of you shooting that hand grenade. I'd kinda like to see that. homer

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Folks make mistakes -- no need to ream the guy. No one was hurt -- no harm, no foul.......

Semper Fidelis

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
He aint gonna hurt my feelings.

I thought it was funny that I get flamed by a guy who thinks you can shoot 475's in a 480.(ITS THE OTHER WAY AROUND BTW)

I got many good responses here as I knew I would from such good company. You guys are scholars and gentlemen.

I did think that UNIVERSAL CLAYS and CLAYS were the same powder.

Where I buy my powder they only carry universal clays.

If I had gotten the Clays powder I would have had the right powder and the right load. There would have been no danger as I was looking for the lightest load on the page.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
At the same time I loaded those slow rounds, I also loaded 50 rounds of 220 seirra jacketed bullets with 6.5 grains of powder. That load is the right listed load.

When I got the slow readings through the chrony I made sure I got a reading with every shot.

I have loaded many thousands of rounds of ammo and have never had a problem. But I do learn new things still.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of Tembo
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the same time I loaded those slow rounds, I also loaded 50 rounds of 220 seirra jacketed bullets with 6.5 grains of powder. That load is the right listed load.

When I got the slow readings through the chrony I made sure I got a reading with every shot.

I have loaded many thousands of rounds of ammo and have never had a problem. But I do learn new things still.

No biggie. I have had to pull hundreds of loaded rounds myself for one reason or another. Like you said, it is a learning process. Glad you didn't hurt yourself or your gun.

PUMA, just to be crystal clear-DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT 475 LINEBAUGH THROUGH YOUR 480 RUGER!!! You will blow up your gun in short order.

Posts: 2596 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I did have to pull some bullets once now that you remind me.

During a nice long winter like this one, I worked up a load with a 458 win mag I had. The temp outside was 20*F and I thought all the loads were good to go.

A couple months later when the temps had climbed towards 55-60 I shot one of those loads and the primer fell out. Pulled all those bullets and worked the load up again and it came a couple grains lower than the one I came up with in the colder temps.

Learned not to work up loads in the cold.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:

Learned not to work up loads in the cold.

Much of reloading is trial and error. I can't say for sure how many, but I've stuck more than one bullet in a barrel before! (never pulled the trigger on a plugged bbl thank God!)

Anyway, I'm bless to live in So Cal. A bitter cold day is 55 degrees...and a hot day is 120. I do my load dev in the 70-80 degree ranges and have come to love the Hodgdon Extreme powders for just the reason you mention.

Regards,

Robert

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you haven't made a mistake yet you haven't reloaded very long.everyone learns at their pace

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Some of the old turn of the century pocket pistol cartridges had some very low velocities.
I think the bigger danger comes when useing jacketed bullets at low velocities.

For a low velocity load, I would go with the fastest powder you can find. The thought being you wouldn't want the ignition to falter when the bullets jumps from the cylinder to the forceing cone. Then if the pressure drops way down, the bullet might stall and lodge in the barrel.

There was the experiment of shooting a 22lr through several of the rifled insert blanks that were several feet long each. It seems like they got up to 21 feet of barrel and the exit velocity was around 160 fps and anything more than that, the bullet didn't exit reliably.
I may not remember the details exactly, so don't quote me on this.

This also may have nothing to do with the subject at hand.

You might try and see just how slow you can go.
Get a short piece of hardwood dowl and a mallet just incase you need to clear the barrel.

The 45 Cowboy Special is shooting a 150gn bullet, anybody know how slow it is being pushed?

http://www.cowboy45special.com/Whats_New.html
Found a link to it.
Looks like they are pushing a 120gn bullet under 600 fps reliably.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . . . . .

I did think that UNIVERSAL CLAYS and CLAYS were the same powder.

Where I buy my powder they only carry universal clays.

If I had gotten the Clays powder I would have had the right powder and the right load. There would have been no danger as I was looking for the lightest load on the page.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I took a felt pen anc crossed out the word Clays on my Universal Clays bottle for just that confusion

====================================================================================================
Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post

~ Smartfix

Posts: 146 | Location: Boerne, TX | Registered: 29 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:

The 45 Cowboy Special is shooting a 150gn bullet, anybody know how slow it is being pushed?

Found a link to it.

I looked at that link - it's a good find. As to this exact example I'd have to say it's very much the exception and not the rule. Looking at the load what we have here is a .45LC case that's been significantly shortened (which raises pressures) and a special bullet (soft lead conical like a Minie ball).

The small case allows for reasonable pressures with minimal load density.

The bullet is what's really special. Soft lead, thin wall, deep reverse cone means that it will seal the barrel at minimal pressures and it's weight is so light that even a 3.0gr,. bullseye charge will send it out the bbl.

Definitely the exception and not the rule.

Regards,

Robert

Picture of Rabbit Creek
posted Hide Post
[quote]one of us

Posted 29 February 2008 03:15 Hide Post

quote:

quote:

475 Linebaughs in a 480 Ruger?????? Please take a video of you shooting that hand grenade. I'd kinda like to see that. homer[/quote

UMMM TEMBO??

So are you saying that a rechambered Ruger SRH .475L is unsafe???

Wild West Guns here does the conversion and they are APG Guild members!

Posts: 29 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
There's a negligible pressure difference between the two cartridges. .480s have been safely rechambered in my understanding. I almost did it myself, but decided to go with a 5-shot cylinder instead.......

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lar45:

The wildcatting is pretty interesting, but leave it to the cowboy shooters to transform the mighty peacemaker into an air pistol...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tembo:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RMiller:

No biggie. I have had to pull hundreds of loaded rounds myself for one reason or another. Like you said, it is a learning process. Glad you didn't hurt yourself or your gun.

PUMA, just to be crystal clear-DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT 475 LINEBAUGH THROUGH YOUR 480 RUGER!!! You will blow up your gun in short order.[/QUOTE]

Just to be CRYSTAL CLEAR where do you get your information on the subject? The SAAMI pressure Spec for the 2 cartridges is exactly 2,000 PSI difference in average pressure hardly enough to blow up a converted 6 shot 480. Just for the record their has been quite a few of the 6 shot 480's converted to 475 by a number of well known top flight smiths across the country and I am sure that tey will chuckle at your claim... thumbdown

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A converted SRH is different then a .480 with .475 brass in it. The longer brass if jammed in will restrict bullet exit and raise pressure. Same as not trimming brass. So, yes, it can be dangerous in that case. But not if re-chambered for the .475.
Many guys seat boolits out for more powder space in the .480 to get .475 velocities. The gun is strong and the pressures are almost the same for both cartridges, it is only case length that can cause a problem.
However, I don't think you can jam a .475 case in the .480 chamber anyway unless you beat it in.
Even if re-chambered you still are restricted by overall length so heavy boolits need to be seated deep, losing some powder space. The SRH has a longer cylinder then the Freedom and is still shorter then the BFR. I shoot boolits that are heavy and short enough to fit both the SRH and Freedom from my BFR but with the 5 shot cylinder I can up the pressure. I don't know if I would want to do that in a 6 shot cylinder.
It would be best to use a boolit with a longer nose in a 6 shot converted SRH to get full velocity and powder space with reduced pressure.
The .480 shooting the same boolit at the same velocity of the .475 needs more pressure but taking a long boolit with a short nose in the .475 will also increase pressure. That is where the 5 shot cylinder comes in.
Take a very long, heavy boolit that fits the Freedom and measure the powder space. It is less then, or the same as the .480 with a long nosed boolit. But the Freedom can take more pressure then a 6 shot so you can use more powder.
Match the boolit to cylinder length and I don't see a bit of difference between the .480 and the .475 until you get to the BFR that will take boolits the other guns can't.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Good clarification there BFR.
I think it's important to remember that not everyone reading here is an expert on the subject.

(I'm not quoteing anyone, just a what if thing here)
With a statement of I shoot 475 Linebaughs in my Ruger Super Redhawk, then a new shooter might think "wow, I didn't know you could do that, I'll have to give it a try."
Then he gets to the range and stuffs the d*mn things in(it was tight, but he already paid the money and the guy on the forum said it was good sooooo).
Maybe a more complete statement could be (I had my 480 Super Redhawk rechambered to 475 Linebaugh and really like shooting the 475 instead of the shorter 480 ammo in it.)

Just something to think about and keep in mind.

The BFR was first chambered in 480 Ruger only. Some of the first guns were sent to custom shops to be rechambered to 475. It wasn't until later that they made it with the longer 475 Linebaugh chamber.

FWIW, my 2 cents.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
As the one guy here with an SRH chambered in .475 Linebaugh, I assume you are talking about me. I was under the impression I made that clear with my comment about the SRH with a 5-shot cylinder in Linebaugh. Since I also have access to an SRH in .480, I just made an attempt at stuffing a .475 cartridge in it, and it can't be done without considerable force -- a hammer may make it possible, but you won't do it accidentally.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone needs to suck some Green beer an chill!!!!!!Hic jumping

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
You buyin'? Big Grin

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You bet!!!!!!!!! beer

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original string had an average of 499, but the extreme spread was 166, which represents 33% of the average! That is terrible, and should be the first clue that something is really wrong! A 166 spread might be considered acceptable for a centerfire rifle round moving at 3000 fps, but not for a plinking load at pellet gun speed.

When you work up an oddball load, the spread is often huge at first, maybe even with some squibs, but it tightens up dramatically as you increase the charge toward the sweet spot where the powder is performing optimally. That is a really good way to find the best load for a particular bullet - get the spread to a bare minimum in the velocity range you want, then do accuracy testing withing a narrow window of velocities.

Narrow spread equals minimal changes in drop downrange equals potential accuracy.

John Davies
Spokane WA

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
The longer brass if jammed in will restrict bullet exit and raise pressure. Same as not trimming brass. So, yes, it can be dangerous in that case.

Exactly! I wasnt talking about a rifle chambered for that round. I was talking about shooting 475L in a 480 ruger chamber.

This is what Puma454 posted on another thread: "Can you not shoot the 475 in a 480? I could of sworn you could. So just get a 480 Puma!" sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Puma454 you can come back.

This sight has lots of good info we can all learn a thing or two every once in a while. Even if its not how to do something.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!