Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting Uruguay
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted
Anyone have outfitter recommendations? We are planning a Uruguay trip next year for Doves & Ducks..

Had always planned on Argentina but Uruguay seems much more gun friendly...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott........check your PMs.

Best.......TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Uruguay several times over the years, but they were quite a while back.

Unless things have changed drastically with different agricultural practices, you will really be cheating yourself of world class dove hunting if you hunt there instead of Argentina. Don't get me wrong, you will have good shooting but the quantities of birds and volumes are simply not anything like Argentina. Can't speak for ducks, never hunted them seriously in Uruguay. And, I stress, this opinion is based on old hunts.

Go to Argentina IMO.

PS: I really enjoy Uruguay, wonderful friendly people, and would go back there in a second but for first timers, not the best choice.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hunted in Urugay many times ,great people great country ,many wild boars ,a lot of partriges ,some ducks and many doves and pidgeons .Uruguay is a beautifull friendly country with some good outfitters .Fishing is very good too .I agree with Charlie dove shooting isnt the same ,althoug there are many more croplands now .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hunt in South America for a week on the way to Africa. I would be interested in boar hunting.
Uruguay sounds pretty interesting.

I am hoping that you floks can make some suggestions for a first timer in South America.
i.e. Styly of hunting, importing/exporting rifle, nice country, outfitter, Anything you can tell me is appreciated, Thanks, Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Brian ,the best territories for hunting wild boar in Uruguay are near Aigua town ,huge boars there .
Its close to Jose Ignacio and Punta del Este city ,a lot of fishing a beautifull girls there Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Scott, Uruguay is not the most popular pig hunting destination. I recommend you La Pampa, we do 2 kind of hunts.
1- pig Hunting with dogs (Dogos)
2- Waiting in blinds.

do not hesitate in contact me. Thanks Martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin and juanpozzi, Thanks for quick response.

I will research both places.

juanpozzi, do you know of an outfitter near Aigua that you could recommend? Thanks Brian.

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3336 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
I've been researching Uruguay as an alternative to Argentina really for two reasons:

- Ease of taking my own guns (like many here, I really like to hunt with my own guns)

- The idea of no domestic flight.. Direct flight into Montevideo and couple hour drive to lodge...

JuanPozzi - help me change my mind :-)

Not that I am opposed to Argentina, just seems their government is making things overly difficult..

I need to get something planned for early 2017 - I want to invite along a good friend and PH from RSA and will be with him hunting in September.. Kinda of a surprise...

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
quote:
Thanks for the info, It looks like Uruguay is a good place for my wife and I to get a feel for South America. We too are planning for 2017.

I am looking for a one or two week layover for us on our way to South Africa. I hunt a bit and my wife and I explore the country. She loves the bush but does not hunt/shoot much anymore.

Have you found an outfitter/PH that you like?

I will be travelling with a 577 NE for Cape Buffalo. I could make some light loads for pigs I guess. It would just be fun to get out in the South American bush as I have never been there before.

( Juanpozzi, I will be keeping my eyes open for the beautiful girls there, as well!)

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Brian Canada if you visit South Africa send a msj to Willem de Jaeger hes an AR member and great PH hunted wth him many times .He hunted here too .
We have a new goverment conservative very pro gun ,pro hunting very easy to import guns now .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juanpozzi, Thanks. Are you saying that you don't know of a good hunting operator in Uruguay but Williem will? I'm a bit lost here. Please help, Thanks, Brian

I must be lost here: Are you able to conduct hunts in Uruguay? I was assuming, probably incorrectly, that you only guided hunts in Argentina, because of your company name.

Or are you suggesting that I hunt in Argentina with you? Please help me sort this out , Thanks, Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Brian Canada if you visit South Africa send a msj to Willem de Jaeger hes an AR member and great PH hunted wth him many times

quote:
Are you saying that you don't know of a good hunting operator in Uruguay but Williem will? I'm a bit lost here. Please help, Thanks, Brian

Note the "South Africa" in first quote.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, Thanks. Brian

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am looking for a one or two week layover for us on our way to South Africa. I hunt a bit and my wife and I explore the country. She loves the bush but does not hunt/shoot much anymore.

Just recommending visiting him while in SA .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Juanpozzi, Thanks for the connection with him. He sounds very interesting.
Sorry to be so confused in my posts. I don't know what I was thinking about. Mostly I just wanted a suggestion for a hunt in Uruguay.

I am already booked up in Africa with buffalo hunts and hunts with the family and grandchildren for the next few years.

Also, I have strong feelings about hunting in the Karoo. I love the country, history and people, not the "drive down the highway to a game pasture", hunting style. The Karoo has burnt me once on their hunting. That's enough for me. My wife and I still love to explore the country from The Great Fish River to Prince Albert. It's awseome country with lots of fascinating Colonial history.
Cheers, Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I correct myself:
Here is a hunting outfitter in the Karoo that has a real nice operation and his accomadations are right at the hunting area. I met him here on AR and I like him. I hope to hunt there as soon as I can. Brian
http://www.karoowildsafaris.co.za/page/packages