THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Stags...can you give me some reference on trophy size?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stags...can you give me some reference on trophy size?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
Hey guys,

I am going to Argentina in March to hunt stag and buffalo. My package includes a bronze stag. Can you show me any photos of a bronze trophy? I have the option to shoot any stag we see, but I have to pay an upgraded trophy fee for silver or gold if I shoot one. Do you have any photos of what these classes would look like?

I am pretty decent at judging elk, but admit I am a novice with stags. Any help would be appreciated...TH

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Tim,
Surely the outfit you are going with could provide you with some pic/examples of the three different catagories, then post them here and lets hear what some of the more experienced folks here say about their "classification".

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
505...most of what I see on their site I am sure is gold...showing the best of the best, you know...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim: look for a post in this Forum called "Old Timers". The head there is in the lower stages of gold or the better silver (it was not measured, it´s my guess).
Regards

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Can you share with us the web page address so we can see the pictures ?

Thanks

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo the Cop strikes again....let him exam the pictures with his feared magnfying glass...
jumping

Merry Christmas, Eastern comrade of arms.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
www.pampaoutfitters.com

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I will be in BA all day and night on March 2. Can you guys give me some advice on what to see, where to eat, where to have a few drinks, etc?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I will be in BA all day and night on March 2. Can you guys give me some advice on what to see, where to eat, where to have a few drinks, etc?

Drop a note to Nainital. I really enjoy going to a tango dinner show. And you should go the cemetary in the Recoleta barrio.

I visited the site of La Pampa. You will really enjoy hunting in the areas they describe in Patagonia and Neuquen. Wonderfully beautiful country. thumb

Will you be at SCI in January?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I will be at SCI on the 22 and 23. I am only hunting some of their LaPampa properties (won't make it to Patagonia, etc.)One I am particularly interested in has not been commercially hunted. They are developing it for next year, and it has a large river running through the center. It is supposed to have lots of buffalo concentrated along the river. We will do a couple of days of exploratory hunting there.

Thanks for the recommendations on BA...We are filming a show on this trip, and I definitely want to get some of the culture on film as that is as much of why I want to go to Arg as the hunting. Everything I have ever seen or heard of the country seems like a wonderful place to visit with wonderful people.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Tim:

Buenos Aires is my favorite city in the entire world.

Bill is correct in that its cemetery is unique and a must-see. If you are filming, viewers probably will be interested in seeing Evita Peron's tomb the most, but the entire place is like nothing I've seen anywhere. Be sure to budget at least two hours to walk around it.

For your night out, I strongly recommend the Sr. Tango dinner show. There are several similar places, but this one is owned by a member of the SCI Argentina chapter, and you may want to interview him for your film. The food is good, and the show is truly first class. A few of his dancers performed at an SCI convention's Saturday night banquet in Reno a few years ago and got a five-minute applause.

There also is a section of the city that is popular with tourists. I don't know its name, but the buildings are painted in a variety of bright colors and there are dancers who will tango on the street for you for a dollar or two.

As for the best food, there are dozens of great places serving the beef that has made Argentina and Brazil famous. We also had a wonderful, multi-course seafood lunch at a restaurant on a long pier on the Rio Plata. Unfortunately, I can't remember its name.

Don't bother visiting the large zoo in the middle of the city. I had hoped to see a good display of indigenous South American wildlife, especially brocket and pampas deer, but except for jaguars, tapirs and some local birds, most of the animals on exhibit are from elsewhere.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill! Good info there...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Don't under estimate the big buffalo bulls. They have the potential to ruin a guy and his camera, too .

Posts: 1532 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tim: watch your step. These people show the so called #1 new record red stag....somebody´s pet, raised in a pen in Europe and brought here to sire many sons. Beware of treed pumas, supposedly dangerous water buff and so on.
Please Lorenzo, take your turn and let him know what´s next Mad Mad Mad

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nainital,

I thought my silence was enough...

And BTW, who I am to spoil someone else fun ??

I am not the hunting police, I have just been giving my opinions every time someone asked for them, just to help fellow members with their hunting trips down here. Doing this, I am trying in some way to return Saeed's generosity for keeping AR working for us.

Maybe what is not my cup of tea, it's a good thing to another hunter, I prefer to give my opinions before, not after a trip is booked... coffee

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
BUT, as I am bored.... Big Grin

quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I am only hunting some of their LaPampa properties. One I am particularly interested in has not been commercially hunted. They are developing it for next year, and it has a large river running through the center. It is supposed to have lots of buffalo concentrated along the river. We will do a couple of days of exploratory hunting there.

Tim,

Argentina, specially La Pampa Province is very developed for the hunting business, there very few areas that are "not explored". And one with a river running thorugh it with lots of buffalos concentrated along the river is something that I can not imagine as a "secret spot" to be discovered.

Water buffs must be vaticinated for Food&Mouth desease every year, specially in La Pampa province...there are some buffs released for hunting purpose in some fenced farms, nobody will allow a buff that has cost $$$ or years to become a trophy (10 years at least for a good one) to go over a fence (have you seen the cattle fences in la Pampa ?? rotflmo) to be shot by the neighbour farmer.....

The only pumas you can hunt by law in La Pampa are those ones that have been hand breed for such purpose, wild pumas are not allowed to be hunted.

Those sheeps....what can I say about them... Roll Eyes

I don't know here, but some very famous hunting ranchs in la Pampa and even in Neuquén province, offer CAPIBARAS... Eeker rotflmo

But (again but), if you go to this place with the willing of having a good time, to make some really nice footage, to enjoy the wines and the food, the hospitality, and the landscapes, you will be rewarded. Argentina and its people will reward your time and your money.

Obviously, if you want my opinion where to go hunting you should go to La Pampa or to La Patagonia for red stags and wild boars ONLY, in big open Estancias (ranchs) and move to the north of the country after broquet deer, waterbuffs, peccari, etc. Here, for what I have read in AR, our AR member Juan Pozzi can give you a good hand hunting buffs.

Please, don´t misundertand me, maybe these people where you are going are great, and I am sure they are, it's just a more commercial operation, nothing more, nothing less.

Go with an open mind and enjoy every minute there, it's your time and your money, and don't let that anyone, even me, spoil the fun of your upcoming hunting trip. I am just guessing from what you told me, but I have never hunt with them, so you, better than anyone, will be able to tell us about that place after your return.

I have hunted fenced properties in RSA and I have enjoyed every part of it, and given the oportunity I will WACK (as my friend Scruffy says) all those buffs along the river of that property you are going to visit next march Big Grin.

Good luck and have a safe trip !!

L

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Juan,

I appreciate the info. I know they have a few fenced areas, but I believe most of their properties are not high fenced- at least that is what I have been told. I know that "record" is a genetically enhanced fenced deer, but the guy has told me they work with numerous ranches, many not high fenced, and the stags will be more realistic...

I am meeting with him at SCI, so I will get a better idea then. I must say, I am mainly going to enjoy Argentina, and the hunting is just a good excuse to go...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
hope you or someone in your party speaks Spanish. many of the restaurant people will not speak english.

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: PM sent to you.
Regards

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo: new PM sent to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please Lorenzo, I didn´t get your PM dated 12/31 (I erased it unintentionally). There is a new opening.
Regards