New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poitahue
 Login/Join

Picture of dtspoke
posted
I've been dialoguing with Santiago at Poitahue regarding a spring hunt in 2020. From my brief interaction I've been very pleased with his responses and he seems to be exceedingly knowledgeable regarding archery.

I'd love to hear some other feedback as this is a once in a lifetime trip for a group of four. Our plan is flying to EZE on United then letting Santiago handle transfers.

We would rent shotguns for wingshooting and hunt big game with archery, however, I want to double check how difficult bringing a rifle and ammo into country would be in case that is a direction we decided to go.

One last question, we are serious meat eaters and would strongly desire to bring back as much of what we shot as possible. Can someone tell me the difficulty of this?

Thanks

Posts: 16 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I think that’s the place I’ve seen Boddington Hunt a few times. Aren’t they in Patagonia?

I’ve never taken firearms to Argentina and rarely do we have clients bring them. Ask Santiago, as he will be the custodian of the firearms while in country.

I doubt you will be able to take any meat home. In fact, we have an agreement with a local school for our buffalo meat. We do eat as much of the stag as possible. We also eat as many birds and then give the rest to the poor in our villa.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I hunted Poitahue about 6 or 7 years ago. Nice facilities, excellent food and nice populations of stag, blackbuck and buffalo. The only complaint I would have, and this was a while back, was the lack of transportation we had to get us around the ranch. There were a dozen hunters and half as many guides and only three trucks! So it was a bit cramped. But all got there trophies, no problemo...

Gun importation is a hassle. I don't know about archery equipment. I would rent if possible. Also it is expensive and a pain to get trophies exported. It cost me as much to get my stag antlers back as some shipments from Africa and I got my stag but not my blackbuck back... that was aggravating. USDA will NOT let meat back into the US so that is a moot issue. PM me with more questions if you have any.

Just a note, Poitahue is near Santa Rosa on the pampas and not in Patagonia. I think the closest town was Victorica.

Good luck!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7509 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I transported a bow that was a gift from a good client. It was no different than any other luggage. I was asked both here and there what was in the case. No other issues.

We’ve got some new hunting land in San Luis province and it’s supposed to be great, but I’ve never been. Whatever show Poitahue was on, it looked nice. Sorry for the mix up on location.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Poitahue in April this year. I was set up with a 4 day free range Stag and 2 day wing shoot. Due to my selectiveness on Stag I didn't do the wingshooting and went the distance and got a nice Stag.
I have always taken my guns but because of long layover in BA on way back and general hassle used their rifle. There was one archery hunter and he seemed to have no problem and didn't mention any. The accomodations were good and food was as you always hear about. If you drink, I don't but there were two others in camp that did and it seemed it was ample. They did everything they told me they would do. No surprises.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Santiago at Poitahue in 2014. We had terrible weather (saw the report on World Wide CNN after we returned to Buenas Aires), with rain almost constant for the seven days we were there, but that's not the outfitter's fault! I shot a nice free range red stag and a truly magnificent, white fallow deer. The "roar" is a very exciting time to me in the field and my guide and I had some great stalks, including a situation where a younger red stag actually was within 15 yards of us and totally unaware. The accommodations were comfortable, the food was excellent (even though there was too much rain for BBQ), and I really enjoyed meeting the other (Argentine) guests.

After taking my stag and buck, I chased those damn perdiz around in the rain, finally knocking one down!!! I think you'll have a good trip (weather permitting), with many great experiences there.

One point of concern: There was quite a fuss trying to get my trophies back from Argentina as only one company at the time was exporting them from the country. I do hope that situation has been remedied.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pulicords:
I hunted with Santiago at Poitahue in 2014. We had terrible weather (saw the report on World Wide CNN after we returned to Buenas Aires), with rain almost constant for the seven days we were there, but that's not the outfitter's fault! I shot a nice free range red stag and a truly magnificent, white fallow deer. The "roar" is a very exciting time to me in the field and my guide and I had some great stalks, including a situation where a younger red stag actually was within 15 yards of us and totally unaware. The accommodations were comfortable, the food was excellent (even though there was too much rain for BBQ), and I really enjoyed meeting the other (Argentine) guests.

After taking my stag and buck, I chased those damn perdiz around in the rain, finally knocking one down!!! I think you'll have a good trip (weather permitting), with many great experiences there.

One point of concern: There was quite a fuss trying to get my trophies back from Argentina as only one company at the time was exporting them from the country. I do hope that situation has been remedied.

Yes, the trophy export is a terrible hassle. I have left all of mine there and they are hung in the lodge, but that is also my second home for a good part of the year.

My father had two stags and maybe two buffalo shipped. Total cost was damn near what it cost for 16 animals shipped from Africa.

Argentina is a great place with great people. The roar is amazing!

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Originally posted by Pulicords:

Yes, the trophy export is a terrible hassle. I have left all of mine there and they are hung in the lodge, but that is also my second home for a good part of the year.

My father had two stags and maybe two buffalo shipped. Total cost was damn near what it cost for 16 animals shipped from Africa.

Argentina is a great place with great people. The roar is amazing!

Beautiful trophies, Marcus!

How good that you had a good time in Argentina!

Best regards.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Manuel,

Those were not mine. I was commenting on Pulicord’s post.

However, I’ve always had a good time in my second home country.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Poiathue for a combination wing shoot and stag. The wingshooting and accomodations were excellent. The stag hunting was a flop. They assigned us young inexperienced "guides" that did not speak english. They wanted me to take a young spike buck that I refused. I declined to go out the second day. Another hunter in our group took that spike and it cost him a $1,500 trophy fee.
Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 618 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Manuel,

Those were not mine. I was commenting on Pulicord’s post.

However, I’ve always had a good time in my second home country.

Marcus, please excuse my misinterpretation.

Best regards