THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Warning about Detail Company Adventures & Jeri Booth
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Warning about Detail Company Adventures & Jeri Booth
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have been a member of this site for almost seven years. In that time I have learned who to consider using for a trip and, more importantly, who to stay away from, so I feel obligated to share a recent bad experience. A good friend and I who travel to South America annually or more often to shoot birds booked a hunt with Jeri Booth and The Detail Company Adventures to go to Bolivia. We booked the hunt in January of 2016 at SCI to travel in late June of 2016. We had never used her before, but my friend has known her for over 20 years from the outdoor shows. This was both of ours’ annual vacation. Trip was paid in full except for tips and shells, airline reservations made. American Airlines cancelled our flight out of Miami to Santa Cruz after we had already arrived there, and with no other seats available we had no choice but to come home. Once we got home we immediately attempted to rebook for the next year. We were told by Jeri that the cost was going to go up $460 and shells were going to go up by $2/box. We are both high volume shooters so that did not make us happy but what choice did we have. Jeri picked the dates for us for the following year and rebooked our flights. She communicated to us by phone and email that she made a trip to Bolivia in November of 2016 to personally visit the outfitter and to make sure our trip was good to go for late June of 2017.
Jeri notified us less than 48 hours before we were scheduled to fly out of San Antonio that “we have a problem” because only three hunters (us and one other) were booked in to the lodge and the operator was insisting on having a minimum of four to six. While Jeri encouraged us to find other hunters to go with us she never mentioned that we were required to have more hunters. She told us that we could not go and wanted to book us in to another lodge. As I had shoulder surgery scheduled the week we were supposed to get back to Texas I told her that was not possible. As Jeri had a whole year to work this out for us my friend and I decided we were no longer comfortable using her and requested a refund for our trip which she has refused to provide, so we are going forth with legal action. This was a bird trip but they also book SA big game. If any more details are desired you can PM me.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your situation and I hope it gets sorted in a satisfactory manner. I lived in Bolivia 5 years. I have visited several of the "hunt Bolivia" booths at the different shows and I have found most of them to be "questionable" in their claims and offerings and ridiculous on their prices.

Safe shooting................Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not taking sides here, but if you had a contract this kind of event will likely be included.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, I tried to keep my initial post short and to the point so I had to leave out a lot of pertinent details. Shortly after the hunt was booked we, at her insistence, paid for the hunt in full. Shortly thereafter (we are talking over 18 months ago, now) we requested a written contract primarily so we would know what was and was not included (laundry, gun cleaning, etc, etc) as over the years we have found that some outfitters include some things and others are extra, that way we go prepared with enough cash since SA charges fees for checks and don't take plastic. When we did this we were told that as far as she was concerned that our emails and phone calls were adequate for a contract and that she had been operating that way for almost 30 years. We won't make that mistake again.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I think you are due a full refund on last trip. As the outfitter, she should have known that the hunt destination required 4 or more hunters.

If I had been in your spot, I would have explored how much upcharge there would be to make trip happen as scheduled. Money talks....

FWIW, if memory serves, I met Mrs. Boothe about 30 years ago while hunting perdiz in Uruguay. She was on a ranch that Trek was using as a hunter base. We talked quite a bit over dinner and drinks and, if I remember correctly, I found her to be somewhat squirrelly and mentally wrote "The Detail Co." off my list.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote