New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina inflation rate hits 79%
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Bloomberg reports that the overall inflation rate hit 78.6% in August in Argentina, with some categories going as high as +100%. Another large increase in bank interests rates to follow. Can't imagine this is good news for the outfitter industry and the hunting client in 2023.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes me wonder about the air charter costs as well.

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My first trip in 2006 it was 3 pesos:1 USD. Two hours ago, I changed $100, and received $27,000 pesos.

Most hunters just enjoy meals and such at various lodges. I often eat out and about. What most don’t see is that menu options are printed, but prices are in pencil to adjust accordingly. I often get excellent steaks with a side for $8-10.

The biggest impact items on outfitters are fuel and shells. Shells are in somewhat short supply. The factories had shutdown or switched lines. We honor prices of current bookings at the price of that booking. This includes booing made back in 2019 for 2020-2021 hunts, which didn’t happen due to coronavirus. We have considered adding a caveat/asterisk for bookings well into the future, but don’t like leaving the biggest variable cost (to us and the client) being unknown. It’s being considered, but nothing concrete yet.

That being said, the birds have been just as good. There have been some crazy days with high winds, but we can’t control the weather.

As far as charters, I can’t comment. We had two groups charter from BsAs to Cordoba when I was last here in May, but I didn’t ask the cost.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt.Purvis
posted Hide Post
Some of the Provinces there have cancelled all duck hunting.

Posts: 513 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 09 November 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Purvis:
Some of the Provinces there have cancelled all duck hunting.

Can you provide any more details?

Posts: 11946 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

The duck season was cancelled in Entre Rios province just two weeks short of the closing date. I had a mixed bag hunt already booked and a deposit on the table. We had to make adjustments and change some things. I settled for dove and pigeon.

A group of greenies in Buenos Aires was able to convince a judge that Entre Rios did not pursue due diligence when it conducted its pre-season waterfowl population survey. They tried in other provinces but were not as successful. In any event, they've been emboldened by their success in Entre Rios and will surely be back next year, although my outfitter tells me he believes they'll have little chance. The outfitters have organized and will do what it takes to avoid a similar outcome in 23.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Larry:

The duck season was cancelled in Entre Rios province just two weeks short of the closing date. I had a mixed bag hunt already booked and a deposit on the table. We had to make adjustments and change some things. I settled for dove and pigeon.

A group of greenies in Buenos Aires was able to convince a judge that Entre Rios did not pursue due diligence when it conducted its pre-season waterfowl population survey. They tried in other provinces but were not as successful. In any event, they've been emboldened by their success in Entre Rios and will surely be back next year, although my outfitter tells me he believes they'll have little chance. The outfitters have organized and will do what it takes to avoid a similar outcome in 23.

It’s nuts. The outfitters (farmers, the entire economy) have had a hard enough time the past couple years with COVID and then the greenies pull that.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote