New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edmonton to Buenos Aires
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well the wife and I are headed to Argentina in April. Anyone ever flown from either Edmonton or Calgary to buenos Aires? Who did you fly with? We're looking at either Air Canada (booooo) or United ( which we have no experience with) We will be taking our own guns so a gun friendly air line would be nice. Oh ya we're going with Cerro Indio Safaris. Red Stag, Black Buck, Boar, Fallo Deer and buffalo all on the list. We just need to figure out who hunts what!

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 168 | Location: Canada | Registered: 22 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
We did with Air Canada from Calgary through Toronto. It was pretty painless other than the $100 gun fee.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would avoid United via Chicago at all costs.
I had a very bad experience a few years ago traveling from Louisville to Wyoming via Chicago on United.

My rifle kept failing to arrive, missing flight after flight from Chicago.

Finally, I asked a supervisor in Colorado to call her peer with United in Chicago. It seems the baggage handlers at O'Hare would not put my gun case on the conveyor. A supervisor did so and finally after 3-4 missed flights the rifle arrived.

This was more a Chicago issue than a United issue. Too many anti-guns nuts in Chicago.

Posts: 86 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 12 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When traveling to Buenos Aires we would be flying through the United States with united our firearms would remain in transit do i need any U.S. Permits? Or is it safe enough to book the flights and run with it. Or should I use a travel agent? We will have help from the outfitter when we arrive for the Argentina permits so I'm not worried about that part.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I nmy experience, United makes Air Canada look like Air Emiratis.

Easily the worst service I have ever had on an airline, they have stranded me twice, blamed weather in my destination when it was perfect.

Posts: 475 | Location: Moncton, New Brunswick | Registered: 30 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddsix:
When traveling to Buenos Aires we would be flying through the United States with united our firearms would remain in transit do i need any U.S. Permits? Or is it safe enough to book the flights and run with it. Or should I use a travel agent? We will have help from the outfitter when we arrive for the Argentina permits so I'm not worried about that part.

wont hurt to have the permit just in case you are stuck for any reason. permit is valid one year ...

Posts: 1729 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddsix:

You don't need a US permit and I know they will issue you a temporary one if flight problems cause you to have to take possession of your firearms in the US but that said, I always take one out just in case.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks TJ. I think I'm going to go with united as I like the arrival and departure times. The lay overs in Houston also work as I have family there. So if I understand correctly as the firearms will remain in transit I can go have dinner with my family and not really worry about them. And check in as normal or do I need to stay in the airport departures area.

Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
I doubt it matters where you go providing your guns remain in transit.