New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dogo Argentino questions?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wild boar population have increase last year. I need good dogs for wild boare driven hunt! Have look on Dogo Argentino , there are not wery common in Sweden. Is DA good at wild boars? Do I need more than one for hunting boars ? Are DA suitable for red deer huntin? Is DA a good family dog?

Thanks in advace

Matts

Posts: 147 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tycker du inte att vi redan har tillräckliga problem med för snabba hundar som håller fast och biter i grisarna?

Den hundtypen är definitivt inte önskvärd i Sverige.

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your opinion Goldeneye !

thanks

Matts

Posts: 147 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 23 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Farmer John:
In this thread there are some participants with lots of experience with the dogos. I used to hunt with a friend who owns a pack of them. My impression is they are not suitable for driven hunts. They go after the prey ang grab it, then you come ,most of the time running , take your knife and make the kill. They are corageous but seldom bark, so you must add barking dogs to the pack, so you can follow them hearing the howling and barking of the secondary dogs. This pack wich I hunted with had a "Puntero" or leading dog - a Great Dane - that had a better sense of smell. Each day that we hunted with the dogs was an adventure on itself. I have wonderfull memories of the argentinian dogos. But be aware that in my country the politicians are trying to pass a law forbidding the argentinian dogos and other "killer dogs" .They are to "vicious" to them!

Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The dogos are my passion and i hunted with them all my life ,and everytype of game even small game,but their prey is the wild boar ,they catch the boar and never realease the bite ,we use knives postils and shotguns but never rifles with the dogs ,i prefer knives ,anything you need to know just ask.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goldeneye:
Tycker du inte att vi redan har tillräckliga problem med för snabba hundar som håller fast och biter i grisarna?

Den hundtypen är definitivt inte önskvärd i Sverige.

Or in english something alike that "don´t you think that we already have enough problems with the fast dogs that maintain and biting in pigs?

The type of dog is definitely not desirable in Sweden."

Would like to know what happened in Sweden to make you think like that, Goldeneye Confused Frowner... but I am pretty sure you don´t know much about our Dogos, which IMHO is one of the best breeds of dogs, not just speaking about their hunting abilities...

Believe me, some of these dogs can almost even read and write (in spanish, of course ! Big Grin)

Regards,

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Farmer John:
Wild boar population have increase last year. I need good dogs for wild boare driven hunt! Have look on Dogo Argentino , there are not wery common in Sweden. Is DA good at wild boars? Do I need more than one for hunting boars ? Are DA suitable for red deer huntin? Is DA a good family dog?

Thanks in advace

Matts

With proper training it would be almost impossible to find any other dog more suitable thumb

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afriaander:

In Sweden we do not hunt wild boar like they do in Argentina.

We do not use knives.

We only use rifles and single barrel shotguns with slugs.

On a driven hunt in Sweden the game is suposed to be driven towards the hunters. The hunter is to shoot the animal.

If you have a dog near the boar, biting the boar
you can't risk to shoot the dog!

That means a spolit opportunity.

If you are a PH this will create problems for you since the hunters who pay you for the hunt want to shoot boars, not see a fast dog biting in the boars.

So fast dogs like the argentino or any other such dog which bite or hold the animal means a problem.

fat chicks inc.

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
They are asking about dogs for DRIVEN hunts..

Dogos are NOT good for these type of hunts, they were NOT create for this type of hunt.

They are great dogs but as Juan said, they catch and bite the pigs so the hunter can kill it with a knife but not for chasing the pigs barking from far away so the pigs go towards the hunters not running very fast or with a dog biting the pig ear !!

Using dogos in this kind of hunt is putting them in risk of being shot and spoiling shooting oportunities for the hunters.

Afrikaander, ellos quieren hacer batidas, nada más, si el dogo les agarra el chancho este nunca llega a pasar por los puestos. Necesitan perros que no sean de agarre, sólo para mover los bichos.

Abrazo

Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
For driven hunts, which I have little to none expererience, I would say a good hound type of dog would be suitable.

Find a kennel with good genetics, and as you want a dog that stays a little far away from the hogs, use hounds with short legs, like the basset hound. You need a dog with an excelent nose and good genetics, so it will focus on the scent and not the run. Pure breed dogs,specially the hounds, everything else being the same, tend to be a liitle bit slower than the mixed ones.

In europe I´ve seen they use Daschund as a tracking dog, it could be a good choice also.

I´m not a big fan of crossing breeds, but as you have a particular hunting situation, you can try to create something that fulfill your needs.

In case you need a faster dog, pick one with longer legs, like the American Fox Hound, or Grand Bleu Cascogne.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:
They are asking about dogs for DRIVEN hunts..

Dogos are NOT good for these type of hunts, they were NOT create for this type of hunt.

They are great dogs but as Juan said, they catch and bite the pigs so the hunter can kill it with a knife but not for chasing the pigs barking from far away so the pigs go towards the hunters not running very fast or with a dog biting the pig ear !!

Using dogos in this kind of hunt is putting them in risk of being shot and spoiling shooting oportunities for the hunters.

Afrikaander, ellos quieren hacer batidas, nada más, si el dogo les agarra el chancho este nunca llega a pasar por los puestos. Necesitan perros que no sean de agarre, sólo para mover los bichos.

Abrazo

Lorenzo

thumb

Μολὼν λάβε