New
Find
Notify
Tools

jungle hunt in south america?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm reading the beatiful book written by Teddy Roosevelt about his expedition across the jungle of South America. He hunted many animals: Jaguar, Tapir, various subspecies of deer, cayman, capibara... An amazing experience. I know that was another era (today probably is huntable only the capibara...) but should be great try a similar experience. In wich country would it be possible? Paraguay? Bolivia maybe?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never hunted South America so obviously others will be able to provide better answers for you. Capybara is available, as well as several introduced species in Argentina. You can dart hunt jaguar in Paraguay, some (Jim Shockey) have hunted other species there as well. I believe a special permit was issued. I've heard of poaching for big game on "bird hunts" in Bolivia…wouldn't want to be anywhere near that myself.

For awhile there was talk of self guided water buffalo in Belize. There were a couple other species available too. I tried contacting the organizer a couple of years ago but never heard back.

In North America there is the Yucatan of Mexico. Jungle birds, coati, white lipped peccary, brocket deer, and a few jungle rodents are available.

I'm curious what others have to say about the jungle hunting.

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mario:
Think you'll really enjoy that book. I just sent Juan a copy of it a couple months ago after reading it. Thought he'd enjoy reading what it USED to be like down there etc.

Can't think of the title but, there were two books about that. Some woman wrote about it after doing a lot of research of the notes and writings his son Kermit and different one's that were along on the "ordeal" told/wrote about. Can't really call it a "Trip". Think once you read what they went thru before getting out you'll agree.

Happy reading!
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
south mexico is posible "jungle hunting".... is posible hunting lot jungle species
http://www.balammexico.com/

Caçar é mais que matar, é um estado de espirito...

Posts: 82 | Location: Brasil | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
You have described exactly the situation I know. There's a guy in Bolivia which offers big game hunting, even at the jaguar, but I do not think it is legal. Probably the only serious opportunity is in Mexico, in the campeche, but the reports I've seen talking about a very low success rate, especially at the brocket deer.
The book is "trough the brasilian wilderness"and was written by Teddy. I do not know if is the same...

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a very similar taste Big Grin . Everythime you post something, it's a hunt I have looked for, too.

Unfortunatly not to much real rainforests hunt in south america. I know one outfitter who offers Belize. Can give you the contact details.
I believe Juan has some offers in argentina, but not real primary forest!?
The real big game species (tapir, jaguar etc.) are protected.

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes Dennis in latin is called "idem sentire"
Probably Juan is the only one who can provide something.
In Belize I've seen very bad reports.

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mario,
there is a report on Belize here http://forums.accuratereloadin...681006551#3681006551
It sounds interesting, but you are right most reports were not very positive. Seems like it is not so well organized.

I will Pm you with another idea I have.

Regards,

Dennis

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2064 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir Juan has an expedition in really wild forests in Corrientes Argentina ,many game there alligators brocket deer ,capibaras ,ñandues ,axis ,black bucks buffalos ,pumas its horseback riding and sleeping in tents.I guided with him in some of the safaris ,very interesting .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
very interesting... we must speak with Juan Big Grin

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.jimshockey.com/phot...14-PARAGUAY--/page-1

Mario,

Jim Shockey was in Paraguay during June 2014, attached are the photos. Best of luck on your hunt.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9348 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post