Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina Gun Permits- the low down
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with you 100% TWL.

Posts: 11941 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Well, The Atlanta office has reversed its position. They are now telling me you cannot get a permit without appearing in person. They do say the permits are still available at renar.

The Argentine Consulate General in Atlanta wishes to inform all those parties planning to visit Argentina for Hunting purposes of the following news regarding local regulations on the introduction of Firearms and Ammunition to Argentina.

Before proceeding, we wish to note that there is currently no official form to be Certified by the Consulate over mail, despite being mentioned in the following text and that the possibility of obtaining a permit upon arrival is still announced on the web page referenced below. Those wishing to come to the Consulate may obtain a Certification but traveling without it does not preclude solely applying for the above mentioned authorization upon arrival.

We will keep you informed of any changes or announcements regarding new Certifications.

(The information below can be found in Spanish at the official site of the Argentine National Arms Authority at https://www.renar.gov.ar/index...?seccion=circuito_es)

"TOURIST
REQUIREMENTS

Entry and exit from the country with firearms by foreigners or Argentinians residing overseas

Persons wishing to enter the country with one or more firearms and ammunition to engage in hunting, shooting or for another legitimate reason, must go to the Argentine Consulate in the country, bearing the equivalent of and Authorization of ownership or carry permit, identity card or passport, to complete the "Authorization introduction and temporary possession" of material they wish to enter the country for their stay in Argentina.

If tourists arrive in the country without authorization "introduction and temporary possession" issued by the Consulate, the local authority may grant such authorization, ad referendum of the National Register of Arms (RENAR).

To obtain this authorization upon arrival to Argentina, the applicant shall submit the form for the Authorization of Entry and Exit of Firearms, Ammunition and other Controlled materials (download from this page) and attach the proper postage Law 23,979 per weapon or material to be introduced (note: paid at the airport or point of entry).

The authorization of "Introduction and temporary possession," issued by the local authority will enable the visitor to temporary residence in the country for possession, transportation and use of the material in the activity and the term authorized.

When leaving the country, the form will be filed with the competent authority to verify the exit of arms and the ammunition not used and retain the authorization granted upon arrival. Should some of the weapons entered be missing, the applicant shall submit documentation to justify such circumstances.

Any filing that were composed of foreign language documents must be accompanied by their official translation (to Spanish), as regulated by Administrative Provision RENAR 058/04.

The authorization period to carry and use the input material is ninety (90) days from the date of admission.

Stamps of Act No. 23,979 Argentine Pesos 1,000, per weapon. It is payable only upon entry to Argentina

Extension authorizing entry and temporary tenure

Prior to the expiration of the deadline for the temporary introduction of materials, the holder thereof may request one-time prolonging for other (90) days from issuance.

In order to request an extension of the introduction of materials, temporary or permanent, shall be filed with the RENAR the documentation detailed below:

a) Note explaining the reasons for the evaluation of the extension in question.

b) Stamps Law No. 23,979 worth Argentine Pesos 1000, pertaining to the application that is intended to extend

c) Original / es Introduction Authorization duly granted.

Note: the temporary entry of firearms and ammunition will only be allowed for performing activities of hunting or target shooting in places authorized by RENAR."

We will return all the Money Orders received and Forms sent to us by mail. We regret any inconveniences.

Do not hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further inquiries.

Sincerely,

Sec. José A. Flores Velasco
Argentina Consul General in Atlanta

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody translate, does this mean we can get into Cordoba with our guns and then get clearance from Renar there?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Where are the Argentinean Outfitters, Hunting Ranch bussines men in charge or PHs in activity to explain the full details ??? horse

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Received the following from Trek today, I assume it is accurate.

quote:
As many of you may know, as of January 1, 2015 the Argentine government now requires a consular permit along with their technical Renar form for any individual who wishes to bring their shotgun to Argentina for the purpose of hunting. Well Trek Safaris have recently been informed by our sources in Argentina and confirmed by the Argentina Consulates here in the U.S., that those travelers looking to bring their fixed breech shotguns to Argentina will now be exempt from having to obtain the consular permit. This is indeed good news for anyone looking to bring their fine guns in O/U’s or SxS’s.

In addition to this, we have also learned that anyone who is traveling to Argentina for the first time and plans to bring their shotgun or rifle for the purpose of hunting will also be exempt from having to obtain the consular permit. Those of you who have been to Argentina but have never registered your firearm with Renar will also be exempt from the consular permit.

Although this is indeed good news, we also admit that this could change and in the event it does we will notify you as soon as possible. You will find more information on this matter on our website here or please call 800 654-9915 for more details.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
tu2

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We can confirm that Over & unders will be allowed without a consultate letter. Also rifles or other firearms by hunters coming the first time.
Hunters returning to Argentina with pasts gun impos will be required to present the consulate letter.
The Cordoba outfitters chamber and the Argentine chamber is working on it with local authorities to redefine this shitty consulate process.
Now watch out w your outfitter for a new firearm checkpoint at Ezeiza airport customs. Outfitter/Ranch must present some papers to grant gun impo. This process is something old for Cordoba airport but new for Eze so check with ur outfitter before flying to Eze.
Our second group of march ( monday 9th checkin ) was the leading case in EZE airport. Big corp guys from Shockey Adventures. PM if you need more info about the process but so far, its outfitter's paperwork which for a second checkpoint along with Renar police checks.
Red Stag season is a success so far.. healthy racks and healthy population. You can check firsts pics at our instagram or facebook page.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunters returning to Argentina with pasts gun impos will be required to present the consulate letter.

So if you bring a gun that you haven't previously brought to Argentina you don't have to go to the consulate? nilly
But if you bring one that you have brought before you have to go to the consulate and get a letter?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That could be read another way. It could mean the previous consulate letter. I have no idea. Argentina has become a pain in the backside.

Posts: 11941 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time applies a waiver.
Government is redefining process. Outfitters chamber is pushing for a simplified online process.

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
That could be read another way. It could mean the previous consulate letter. I have no idea. Argentina has become a pain in the backside.

I thnk I am getting snarly in my older age. Wink

But I think Argentina still is looking good compared to the new US travel permits and all the rigamoreroll that it is taking to get my family to and through Africa. It could be the last time for me.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingreport.com/w...te.cfm?articleid=706

Warning for Argentina-Bound Hunters Traveling with Guns

(posted March 18, 2015)

If you are about to board a plane to Argentina for a hunt be aware that you may need to leave your firearm at home and rent or borrow one from your outfitter. The reason is that Argentine authorities have apparently changed the requirements for the importation of firearms.

Continuing Hunting Report subscribers know that the Argentine Consulates and RENAR, the government agency that regulates firearms there, have been in a kind of tug-of-war over the issuing of import permits and the collection of funds for those permits for a number of years (see Article 1557). Now it appears that authorities have decided in favor of the Argentine Consulates, and a consulate-issued permit is now required to enter the country with a firearm. In the past, RENAR would issue the permit upon arrival for hunters who had not acquired it from a consulate.

The Hunting Report has learned of several groups of hunters now whose firearms have been impounded by Argentine Customs because they did not have consulate permits authorizing their entry into the country with a gun. Numerous outfitters have advised clients at the last minute to leave their guns at home and either borrow or rent guns during their hunt.

Hunters with time to secure a permit should be able to acquire one in advance of their trip, but at this point no one seems to know what exactly is required to obtain the permit, including some of the consulates. Some reports we've received are that you must appear in person at the consulate to apply for your permit. Others have been told by telephone that they will be emailed instructions and forms. In Argentina, authorities with RENAR and customs have not been clear with operators regarding the required paperwork either. One operator said, "Everything is confusing."

We contacted the Consulate General of Argentina in Miami, and they suggested applying in person. There were, however, directions to apply by mail with a downloadable form (not hyperlinked when we tried it), which will require notarization by a "consulate-approved" notary. The instructions/requirements are only available in Spanish but The Hunting Report acquired the following translation for its subscribers:

Persons who wish to enter the country with one or more firearms and corresponding ammunition for the purpose of hunting, or participating in a shooting sport or other legitimate reason must solicit the consulate for a temporary import permit.

Requirements to Enter Hunting or other Firearms into Argentina

a) Temporary hunting permit form for Argentina, (see RENAR Hunting Form) provided by the Consulate
b) Copy of first page of your valid passport
c) Three passport size photos, light background. No computer generated photos (do not glue/staple them to the form)
d) Copy of valid gun permit issued by the authorities in the state of your residence (current hunting license, concealed carry permit, etc.) Your consulate can advise prior to your visit.
e) Copy of your airline itinerary
f) Copy of your US Customs form 4457 (Certificate of registration for personal effects taken abroad)
g) A money order or cashier's check in the amount of $40.00US payable to the Argentine Consulate (subject to rate change)

Also, be aware that also want to know what hunting concession you will be hunting (called a coto) and/or what operator you are hunting with. These must be registered with RENAR. You can look these up on the RENAR website at http://www.renar.gov.ar/index_...ores_cinegeticos&m=2

If you are booked to hunt in Argentina in the future, contact the consulate nearest you now. Below is a list of Argentine consulates in the US. For consulates in other countries, a simple Google search should provide their contact information.

Argentine Consulates in the United States

Atlanta, GA - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina and Tennessee
catla.cancilleria.gob.ar

Chicago, IL - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and Wisconsin
www.cchic.mrecic.gov.ar

Houston, TX - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas
chous.cancilleria.gov.ar

Los Angeles, CA - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Alaska, Arizona, California, Carolina Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and Islas Carolina and Del Pacífico
clang.cancilleria.gov.ar

Miami, FL - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Florida, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Montserrat, Cayman Island and Bahamas
cmiam.mrecic.gov.ar

Nueva York, NY - Consulate General
Jurisdiction: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont.
cnyor.mrecic.gov.ar

Washington, DC - Section Consulate de la Embajada
Jurisdiction: Washington, DC, Delaware, Maryland, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia
www.embassyofargentina.us

We'll be keeping readers posted if and when we hear more about this process. In the meantime, please contact me at barbara@huntingreport.com if you manage to secure a gun permit from one of the consulates. Good luck! - Barbara Crown, Editor-in-Chief, The Hunting Report

Get important news bulletins like this sent directly to your email 24 hours before anyone else sees them, plus unlimited access to our database of hunt reports and past articles, a special expanded electronic version of our newsletter and more! Upgrade your Hunting Report subscription to Email Extra today. Click here for more information.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9359 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
This isnt the reality yopu can came with shotguns and take down rifles without any paper furthermore ,first time hunters dont need to do any paperwork .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wish someone could come up with a concrete answer, I am going and want to take my own shotguns. Some say OK, some say no.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an interesting addition. I cannot get the Miami consulate to return our call or e mails. Therefore, I cannot get the permit I need to take my own guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^^^^

They know you are a celebrity hunter Wink - from the other thread.

But a darn shame. And more for Argentina. Just when I thought Africa was getting bad enough.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an interesting addition. I cannot get the Miami consulate to return our call or e mails. Therefore, I cannot get the permit I need to take my own guns.

Don't waste your time. The "service" was perfectly well designed by our anti-gun govt.

Hopefully w will have new guy in office next year if there is a God.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got word from my outfitter, they changed the policy again. The way it was explained to me, you may take a two barrel gun, O/U or S/S with barrels longer than 24" and clear them through the Renar office on arrival at customs, If you are taking a semi-auto, you need to go to the consulate, in person.

Go Figger!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

I was told the same thing a few months back. My only double shotguns are .410 and 20's. Not good for ducks.

Perhaps I am different. I want to shoot my guns. It pisses me off that I have to deal with this for the same gun I have taken 9 times previously. It really pisses me off that they do not respond.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up this year and rented guns. It was okay, but not the same as using my own.

I thought the consulates had relented and were completing the process by mail? Not so?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
We just had a group come through and it took three hours to clear in Bs As even though all paperwork was in order. Luckily, they had a charter to Córdoba, but would've likely missed a commercial connection.

One guy brought a matched pair of Hollands in .410. They were in a Tuff Pak and in Beretta gun socks. RENAR asked the value and then googled them.

I understand wanting to shoot your own guns, but it's a pain.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I have been lucky . It has never taken me anywhere near that long . That is ridiculous .

I do not recall ever being asked about the value. This must be something new . They seem to change whenever they feel like it.

I used to love going to Argentina. This situation dampens my enthusiasm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I used to love going to Argentina. This situation dampens my enthusiasm.

^^^^ That is me too.

I am sure that I will go but will be back to the rental guns. I was just looking at a Benelli Custom Shop Cordoba too. Oh well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,
The new customs process its a new checkpoint. Actually its a temporary import process where the ranch has to address documentation and sings papers along the hunter. Ranch becomes responsible for getting the gun out of the country before the a 90 days deadline. The importation needs a reference/market value thats why sometimes they have to google the value to be written at paper work.
The big issue here is the time they take to fill thr papers and check guns. The outfitters chamber is doing lobby to get a single checkpoint where police checks the papers and customs fills the temporary import form.
Our Ranch Poitahue was the first ranch to face such regulation (w no previous notice) on march 2nd. A Jim Shockeys adventure hunts group... U can imagen our surprise and the stress involved) We have worked out more than 50 big gammers with rifles. Everybody agrees its time consuming. We are working to get this solved.

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession

one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Santiago_DM:
Guys,
The new customs process its a new checkpoint. Actually its a temporary import process where the ranch has to address documentation and sings papers along the hunter. Ranch becomes responsible for getting the gun out of the country before the a 90 days deadline. The importation needs a reference/market value thats why sometimes they have to google the value to be written at paper work.
The big issue here is the time they take to fill thr papers and check guns. The outfitters chamber is doing lobby to get a single checkpoint where police checks the papers and customs fills the temporary import form.
Our Ranch Poitahue was the first ranch to face such regulation (w no previous notice) on march 2nd. A Jim Shockeys adventure hunts group... U can imagen our surprise and the stress involved) We have worked out more than 50 big gammers with rifles. Everybody agrees its time consuming. We are working to get this solved.

Sorry to ask, but what about the Consulate paperwork? That's becoming the real stopper.

The usual entry/exit paperwork is not the big burden, the consulate thing is. I have faced this several times last year. a REAL PITA to say the least.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have been trying to get an appointment for about a month . The Consulate will not respond.

Given some of the things discussed herein. I am reluctantly giving up. I will use the outfitters guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was thinking about going to Argentina but with all of this mess i am thinking it will be easier to go back to africa. don't like using some one elses gun. i spend a lot of time at the range to make sure i can shoot well with my gun.

Posts: 87 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 27 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Consulate has contacted us. The gentleman was on vacation. They seem happy to help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the quest for a gun permits has taken a turn for the worse. It all centers on minute details. Apparently, it is a big problem because the Company I am going with has an office in BA but hunts elsewhere. This is one example.

I give up. Life is too short.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Returned from Argentina about 10 days ago. One person in our group brought his shotguns. No consulate letter, etc. he had no issues, just time consuming at airport.
I feel US booking agents do not want to say what the policy is because the situation changes daily. Can't blame them. The Argentine outfitters need to resolve this mess, if they do not want to loose business.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
At Cordoba airport arrive daily hundreds of hunters they arent asking for any consulate letter you ask your PH to be there ,a part of the building was just constructed for hunters .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan:

When I flew to Argentina in February, the Delta representative here in Orlando asked for the papers BEFORE they took the guns.

One of the problems with this entire matter is the inconsistency in the application of the law. In addition, the changes for no apparent reason.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
They never enforced it yet ,but i dont know in the future ....

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the consulate letter, I agree that the situation is the opposite to a client oriented service !!
There are different opinions and information at each consulate which turns things even worst.

So far, the consulate letter is only requested to hunters entering Argentina for the third time and so on.
Neither customs, neither Renar police is asking it when entering the country for the first or second time.
Thats what we can say basing on our info and our 2015 guests so far.

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
After spending a month with a hunting outfitter in Córdoba (I leave tomorrow and it's sad), we've had mixed results with clients bringing guns. Definitely try to enter Argentina via Córdoba. The system is much smoother. One group took three hours to clear in BA.

I do know the outfitters association is working to resolve the mess.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am told that they expect some changes after the elections which I believe are in October.

What I have gone through with the Miami Consulate is beyond insane.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Larry, there's a lot of hope many things will change after the election.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard anything new on this front? I was just in touch with the Los Angeles consulate and they were non-committal about any new policies.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all,
Argentina gun import regulations and procedures are under revision. We all expect fresh news on this matter.
Our new nationwide organization called HUNTING AND CONSERVATIONISM CHAMBER of ARGENTINA (Cámara Argentina de Turismo Cinegético y Conservacionismo - initials CATCYC) is having meetings with Government Authorities so as to discuss/analyse all critical aspects related to guns impo. Problems like Consulate permits, Customs and RENAR Gun Office procedures hopefully will be revised & improved.
This new chamber was recently formed by several Big Game and Wingshooting Outfitters and it´s mission is to take care of all aspects related to Hunting, Hunters and Conservationism. As mentioned, firsts efforts are focused in improving actual gun impo processes.
I will keep u posted if any news.

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good news. Hopefully something happens. Trying to get a permit last year was a nightmare. I want to shoot my guns not some beat up POS.