Find
Notify
Tools

Bringing firearms into Argentina
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes ,there will be direct fligths from Cordoba .Its very good for us to very easy to visit friends clients and fairs ,and rest a bit fishing ,spear fishing and scuba diving in Miami .We can import a long gu and a pistol in each trip too .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I right in thinking that it is much easier to bring over & unders and side by sides into the country?

Posts: 174 | Location: Cumbria | Registered: 30 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cumbrian:
Am I right in thinking that it is much easier to bring over & unders and side by sides into the country?

Yes.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from Argentina. One member of our party brought his own O/U. This gun import scenario is exactly 1 week old:

On arrival: client picks up gun in baggage claim area, goes directly to police office, where he is met by outfitter. Paper process, serial number checked. Client goes to bank, which is inside secure area, leaving gun w/police, pays for permit and returns to police with proof of payment, retrieves gun and goes to customs for more paperwork. Leaves through customs with gun.

Paperwork, among other things, essentially puts gun in the temporary legal custody of the outfitter, whose signature is required.

Arrival process took about 2 hours because of the number of guns coming off the several flights arriving at about the same time.

Hunting party goes to hotel for overnight in BA, outfitter keeps gun in his custody.

Departure: Client and outfitter go to ticket counter and declare gun. Airline agent takes physical custody of gun and directs client and outfitter to follow him to police office. Police check gun & paperwork, give gun back to airline agent. Client, agent and outfitter go to customs for more paperwork and return to ticket counter where gun is loaded onto the baggage belt by the agent. Process took about 20 minutes.

Other than the multi-layered process and the time investment, the only glitch was that the outfitter who accompanied client through departure process was different than the one on arrival. Police didn't care, customs eventually signed off, but gave the outfitter a tongue lashing.

Because the gun was an O/U, client wasn't required to go through any pre-trip process to obtain a consulate letter, which is required when bringing an auto-loader. Once on the ground in BA, however, the actual process is identical for either a breach-loader or an auto-loader.

As I said, this intel is only 1 week old. Hope this helps those trying to make a decision on this issue.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Just returned from Argentina. One member of our party brought his own O/U. This gun import scenario is exactly 1 week old:

On arrival: client picks up gun in baggage claim area, goes directly to police office, where he is met by outfitter. Paper process, serial number checked. Client goes to bank, which is inside secure area, leaving gun w/police, pays for permit and returns to police with proof of payment, retrieves gun and goes to customs for more paperwork. Leaves through customs with gun.

Paperwork, among other things, essentially puts gun in the temporary legal custody of the outfitter, whose signature is required.

Arrival process took about 2 hours because of the number of guns coming off the several flights arriving at about the same time.

Hunting party goes to hotel for overnight in BA, outfitter keeps gun in his custody.

Departure: Client and outfitter go to ticket counter and declare gun. Airline agent takes physical custody of gun and directs client and outfitter to follow him to police office. Police check gun & paperwork, give gun back to airline agent. Client, agent and outfitter go to customs for more paperwork and return to ticket counter where gun is loaded onto the baggage belt by the agent. Process took about 20 minutes.

Other than the multi-layered process and the time investment, the only glitch was that the outfitter who accompanied client through departure process was different than the one on arrival. Police didn't care, customs eventually signed off, but gave the outfitter a tongue lashing.

Because the gun was an O/U, client wasn't required to go through any pre-trip process to obtain a consulate letter, which is required when bringing an auto-loader. Once on the ground in BA, however, the actual process is identical for either a breach-loader or an auto-loader.

As I said, this intel is only 1 week old. Hope this helps those trying to make a decision on this issue.

How about a hunt report?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
How much was the fee for the importation of your firearms? I saw earlier in this thread that it was ar$1500 which equates to approx. $40 US at current exchange rates. Is this correct?

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes its correct .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I love Argentina but the gun process simply sucks. All was ok until we got to customs and they had to check each gun in a manual log to see if it had entered the country in the past year,,, makes on sense at all but this process took us over 4 hours.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been to South America 8+ times, all for birds. Trying to use some AA miles for our next trip. While LATAM is an AA "partner" they are not receptive to using miles. Considering using AA to go to Cordoba via Miami, then on to Mendoza (for pigeons), and return the same way. Any feedback? TIA.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 481 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Does anyone jnow for certain, that RENAR is still, or not, asking for a consulate permit? That alone is the real PITA.

I've some friends who would love to come back and if they find out that the must travel about 500 miles to attend a consulate meeting to clear their guns, well, they will bitch me for the next ten years or so!

Please recent experiences of returning hunters is what I'm looking for.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My most recent experience was in June of last year. A member of our party had all the necessary papers he needed before arrival at Buenos Aires. There were no administrative issues at all.

Yet, it still took him almost 2 hours to go through the process. He had to first claim his gun case, then go to the police, then to customs, then back to the police. And they all asked to see his paperwork at every step along the way.

The hidden problem for the client in this mess is that outfitters are now renting guns for as much as $100 per day, thereby adding this cost to the bottom line of the hunt. Its become a new revenue source for the outfitters, at the expense of the clients.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
My most recent experience was in June of last year. A member of our party had all the necessary papers he needed before arrival at Buenos Aires. There were no administrative issues at all.

Yet, it still took him almost 2 hours to go through the process. He had to first claim his gun case, then go to the police, then to customs, then back to the police. And they all asked to see his paperwork at every step along the way.

The hidden problem for the client in this mess is that outfitters are now renting guns for as much as $100 per day, thereby adding this cost to the bottom line of the hunt. Its become a new revenue source for the outfitters, at the expense of the clients.

It's a shame no questioning it. Hopefully in the near future the authorities will do better.

Have you had to go to an Arg consulate to clear your paperwork or not? That's the key question for me, because the form required can be downloaded, it's the consulate thing that is hated the most.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
quote:

It's a shame no questioning it. Hopefully in the near future the authorities will do better.

Have you had to go to an Arg consulate to clear your paperwork or not? That's the key question for me, because the form required can be downloaded, it's the consulate thing that is hated the most.

I think that varies by location.

I had to go to Miami once. Then they changed. I never had to go again. I did have to get some papers notarized after having the notary obtain some strange certification from the state.

it was a huge help that my office manager spoke Spanish fluently.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Arizona. The Argentine Consulate that covers my region is in Los Angeles. The last time I talked to them about this issue was 2 years ago. The requirement was that I appear in person in their office with a variety of documents, including "proof" from the state of Arizona that I was the lawful owner of my firearms. Arizona offers no such "proof". It was a catch 22 situation which appeared to me to be contrived.

As we've seen in others' posts, the situation varies by consulate office. It also varies when on the ground in Argentina. EZE is problematic while Cordoba is easier. For the client, it's become a problem. For the outfitters, it's become another source of revenue.

114-R10David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to hunt Argentina, but I won't deal with all that B.S., or use someone else's guns.

Posts: 420 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to hunt Argentina, but I won't deal with all that B.S., or use someone else's guns

My sentiments exactly. I could live with using a borrowed shotgun but not a rifle. I spend to much time practicing with my rifles and loading my own ammo to go on a nice hunt and not use them. When I see outfitters charging high fees for gun rentals I immediately cross them off my list. I think that it's a smart move by Dr. Juanpozzi to not charge for the use of his guns.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that we have had clients bring their own stocks (either Beretta 391 or A400) that we’re custom fitted to them and we just attach them. It save a lot of hassle.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an opportunity to purchase a discounted hunt to a David Denies lodge. I need to know if one can really bring our own guns into Argentina. What's the bottom line? Does anyone really know?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can but you have to jump through the hoops.

Posts: 11907 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Yes you can but you have to jump through the hoops.

X2

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
I have an opportunity to purchase a discounted hunt to a David Denies lodge. I need to know if one can really bring our own guns into Argentina. What's the bottom line? Does anyone really know?

Are you bringing a semi or o/u sbs?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two each O/U's

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is easier.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

It should be easy the link below explains the procedure and there is a link to a pdf file that you can fill out and bring with you will need at least three copies
https://www.argentina.gob.ar/j...ntry-weapons-country

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, anyone who has done this care to respond?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The process is easy. Its time consuming but easy. You have to fill a the informed in earlier reply police form in triplecate. Firarm basic info along ur personal info. You will have to present this form to Renar police office after migrations checkpoint and before heading for customs scanners. Outfitter must inform that with precise instructions. After presenting the forms to police and get their sign, you will head for customd scanners were they will check again the papers and the guns. At this point, the outfitter must present in advamce some paperwork to validate the temporary impottation. Its simple but everybody has to present papers. The 2 checkpoints can take from 20min to 1 hour.

At the return, you need to be at the airport early cause custom needs yo close the temporary importation. The airline will inform police that u are carrying guns, checkpoint again and customs will process the conclusion of the temprary impo, outfitter responsible has to present papers to conclude it.

Its not complex but everybody needs to present papers. Also, you need to pay a fee at the aiport. There is a 24hs "bank" to do so.
We receive lot of big game hunters every year (shotgun or rifles is the same) and we have developed a seamless process with a legal representative there in Ezeiza. Its important to check this in advance with your selected outfitter.

Also important. If u are entering with o/u shotguns, you can enter several times with same process. If you are entering other guns (ie. Rifles) the first time follows the same above procedure but for the second and following times you will need a an additional paper.. a letter/acknowledgement from your local Argentina Consulate.

Hope this helps.
Santiago Diaz Mathé
Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
La Pampa - Argentina
US phone +1 214 329 9013

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Santiago_DM:
The process is easy. Its time consuming but easy. You have to fill a the informed in earlier reply police form in triplecate. Firarm basic info along ur personal info. You will have to present this form to Renar police office after migrations checkpoint and before heading for customs scanners. Outfitter must inform that with precise instructions. After presenting the forms to police and get their sign, you will head for customd scanners were they will check again the papers and the guns. At this point, the outfitter must present in advamce some paperwork to validate the temporary impottation. Its simple but everybody has to present papers. The 2 checkpoints can take from 20min to 1 hour.

At the return, you need to be at the airport early cause custom needs yo close the temporary importation. The airline will inform police that u are carrying guns, checkpoint again and customs will process the conclusion of the temprary impo, outfitter responsible has to present papers to conclude it.

Its not complex but everybody needs to present papers. Also, you need to pay a fee at the aiport. There is a 24hs "bank" to do so.
We receive lot of big game hunters every year (shotgun or rifles is the same) and we have developed a seamless process with a legal representative there in Ezeiza. Its important to check this in advance with your selected outfitter.

Also important. If u are entering with o/u shotguns, you can enter several times with same process. If you are entering other guns (ie. Rifles) the first time follows the same above procedure but for the second and following times you will need a an additional paper.. a letter/acknowledgement from your local Argentina Consulate.

Hope this helps.
Santiago Diaz Mathé
Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
La Pampa - Argentina
US phone +1 214 329 9013

Yes, this sounds easy, but this process can take hours waiting for Renar to do their job. When a plane load of 20 hunters with guns all arrive at once, be prepared to wait hours. Same leaving the country. Do not let Argentine outfitters tell you otherwise.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:

Hope this helps.
Santiago Diaz Mathé
Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
La Pampa - Argentina
US phone +1 214 329 9013

Yes, this sounds easy, but this process can take hours waiting for Renar to do their job. When a plane load of 20 hunters with guns all arrive at once, be prepared to wait hours. Same leaving the country. Do not let Argentine outfitters tell you otherwise.

I also suggest getting direct to Argentina from the US. There are two destinations, EZE and COR (only through MIA at this point). SCL can change their mind whenever.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
quote:

Hope this helps.
Santiago Diaz Mathé
Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
La Pampa - Argentina
US phone +1 214 329 9013

I totally agree. However , having been 20 or more times, my observation is that fewer hunters are bringing their own guns. My last trip took very little time to deal with these issues.