Notify
Tools

Bringing firearms into Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
For years I have thought of hunting in Argentina. I would like 2 or 3 buffalo, stag, and black buck, and maybe a hog or two. I only like hunting with double rifles--my OWN doubles. I have no desire to use another's rifles or camp rifles. I will take home skulls only as I have zero interest in taxidermy.

While I have a 2018 trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe and 2019 again to Zim., I wonder about fitting in a trip to Argentina.

So, fellas, if you have been there, what's the scoop on bringing in your own rifle or two to Argentina. I have heard defferent stories from "don't do it" to "no issues at all."

If you're an outfitter feel free to reply with prices and rifle import information but for the issue of firearms I would mostly like to hear from a USA hunter who had "been there done that" rather than from a guide who will blow sunshine up my backside to get my business.

I have a few years remaining and do want to go to Argentina. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful input.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Cal,

I spend damn near 1/3 of the year in Argentina and countless trips over the past 11 years. Partly helping our my outfitter "family" and friends, and more recently an ex girlfriend...

The one constant is that the rules for gun import have been constantly changing. They were incredibly restrictive two years ago requiring a trip to the consulate and many hoops to jump through. They have relaxed some and hopefully will improve with the current administration, but they have been busy fixing other messes.

My outfitter "family" is Miles & Miles and we are mainly a wingshooting operation. Most people aren't as connected to a scattergun that will be shot thousands and thousands of times. With the stag and Buffalo, we have some nice camp rifles with quality optics. Therefore, most opt to forgo the hassle. Our own Larry Shores had issues and I believe it may be because he is a southpaw.

However, we had one guy bring his H&H matched .410s (they did not do well with the volume, by the way and required some nerve wracking field surgery). We also had a group of guys that are dedicated pigeon hunters and have been coming for close to 25 years with their own guns because they are quite tall and need LOP like an NBA player. They had a layover in Santiago and Chile changed the rules on firearms even though they were transiting. This cost them a day of hunting. They trashed their return tickets and chartered a King Air to BsAs and avoid Chile altogether.

That's a long winded/typed response to your question, but it's not an easy answer. The rules and refs may be totally different when you decide to go, but I think they will get better as Macri (current president) had wonderful results in recent congressional elections and that is good for hunting in Argentina.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I meant to add that Argentina is a great country. You will likely enjoy some of the best meats, wines, and hospitality!

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Cal, i sent you an email, let e know if yu get it.
Thanks Martin
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
For years I have thought of hunting in Argentina. I would like 2 or 3 buffalo, stag, and black buck, and maybe a hog or two. I only like hunting with double rifles--my OWN doubles. I have no desire to use another's rifles or camp rifles. I will take home skulls only as I have zero interest in taxidermy.

While I have a 2018 trip to South Africa and Zimbabwe and 2019 again to Zim., I wonder about fitting in a trip to Argentina.

So, fellas, if you have been there, what's the scoop on bringing in your own rifle or two to Argentina. I have heard defferent stories from "don't do it" to "no issues at all."

If you're an outfitter feel free to reply with prices and rifle import information but for the issue of firearms I would mostly like to hear from a USA hunter who had "been there done that" rather than from a guide who will blow sunshine up my backside to get my business.

I have a few years remaining and do want to go to Argentina. Thanks in advance for your thoughtful input.
Cal

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal:

Check out the bird hunting threads for my latest experience. It was doable, certainly stupid but worth it to have my own guns.

As Marcus said, things change. My last trip was about 9 months ago.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your posts and emails. Looks as if I'll be waiting for things to become a bit easier.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Guys, any update about our stupid regulations about foreigners entering the country with guns?

Any news will help since I have a friend who intendt to come down here in a few months.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know latest as well.

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Uruguay, last month it was a breeze.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Cal its very easy for double guns and first timer you can came and do the paperwork at the entrance ,its very easy it will take 30 minutes and your outfiteer can help you .Cordoba airport have a vip part of the airport just for hunters ,30.000 hunters a year came to Cordoba alone ,its the same for double shotguns .
Cheers Juan Pablo Pozzi md.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan, what about the requirement of an Argentinean citizen to sign as your Warrantor and ensure the gun leaves the country? This is the part that I am concerned about. I have entered and exited several times with the last being 2014 before the new regulations. Thanks,

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Cal its very easy for double guns and first timer you can came and do the paperwork at the entrance ,its very easy it will take 30 minutes and your outfiteer can help you .Cordoba airport have a vip part of the airport just for hunters ,30.000 hunters a year came to Cordoba alone ,its the same for double shotguns .
Cheers Juan Pablo Pozzi md.

Perhpas we should talk more as I would like 2-3 buffalo and a red deer, maybe a black buck.
I will be away from home until May 2.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes always an argentine guide has to be a warrant with the customs to be sure that you didnt import the gun without paying taxes .
Regards Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
juanpozzi,

Are hunting handguns permited?

Regards
Mark

Posts: 367 | Location: Anchor Point, Alaska | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes handgun hunting is permitted ,so bowhunting .Many hunters hunt hogs with knives too .
Cheers Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bottom line, Gentlemen, is that it is NOT an easy thing to bring your own guns into Argentina these days. Easy for the outfitter(s) to say, but not easy for the international client traveling with high dollar shotguns.

Despite what anyone tells you, the process at EZE airport is onerous, time consuming, and more than a little frustrating. Add to the equation a "fine" shotgun or two, guns in which you've invested serious money, and you can see how the process becomes a huge and stressful part of the trip.

Outfitters like Juan, who do not charge you for gun rental, are few and far between. My best to Juan for this. But the rest, in my opinion after several years of this, are part of the system. They are more than happy to rent you a gun and add an additional $450 to the cost of the hunt. And trust me, the rental gun will be a huge disappointment.

It's just the way of the world these days.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
The bottom line, Gentlemen, is that it is NOT an easy thing to bring your own guns into Argentina these days. Easy for the outfitter(s) to say, but not easy for the international client traveling with high dollar shotguns.

Despite what anyone tells you, the process at EZE airport is onerous, time consuming, and more than a little frustrating. Add to the equation a "fine" shotgun or two, guns in which you've invested serious money, and you can see how the process becomes a huge and stressful part of the trip.

Outfitters like Juan, who do not charge you for gun rental, are few and far between. My best to Juan for this. But the rest, in my opinion after several years of this, are part of the system. They are more than happy to rent you a gun and add an additional $450 to the cost of the hunt. And trust me, the rental gun will be a huge disappointment.

I'm hearing you too...and don't forget about the consulate "visit" and all the red tape involved.

As an argentine I really feel bad and ashamed of the morons running the circus.

I was told the local SCI chapter was trying to do something about this but so far nothing to report back.

These regulations are in place just to make our country a "liberal's paradise"... thumbdown thumbdown

Honestly, last time some friends came down for a nice hunt, ANMAC office at EZE was a PITA, and they were granted entry with their guns just because I was there to unleash hell on them.

ANMAC (former RENAR) is completely ANTI-GUN & ANTI-HUNT. Period. They are just making our lives harder, and given the chance they will not allow anybody to enter the country with guns.

I'm afraid to say ANMAC has currently the worst administration of the last 40 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:

I'm hearing you too...and don't forget about the consulate "visit" and all the red tape involved.

As an argentine I really feel bad and ashamed of the morons running the circus.

I was told the local SCI chapter was trying to do something about this but so far nothing to report back.

These regulations are in place just to make our country a "liberal's paradise"... thumbdown thumbdown

Honestly, last time some friends came down for a nice hunt, ANMAC office at EZE was a PITA, and they were granted entry with their guns just because I was there to unleash hell on them.

ANMAC (former RENAR) is completely ANTI-GUN & ANTI-HUNT. Period. They are just making our lives harder, and given the chance they will not allow anybody to enter the country with guns.

I'm afraid to say ANMAC has currently the worst administration of the last 40 years.

It is sad to hear. I have not been in 6 months, but I’ve never needed to deal with RENAR for temporary import, as our rifles and shotguns are in great shape.

We’ve had clients with many issues as stated above. The matched pair of H&H .410s being researched for value. The sudden rules change from LATAM or Chile last May I think..

I really had high hopes for the Macri administration to find a solution, as his Interior Minister (or the equivalent) is from Córdoba and is pro hunting.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Bringing a firearm into Argentina is simple compared to getting a trophy out. That statement is based on several frustrating and costly experiences.

I love Argentina. I am there for work several times a year and have been traveling there regularly for over 20 years. In my opinion, it is a hunter and tourist paradise. It is a shame the government and the hunting community cannot work together and resolve the issues that keep much of the international hunting community away.

Despite all of the issues, a hunt with Juan Pozzi is a must do on my bucket list.

Safe travels........Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Bringing a firearm into Argentina is simple compared to getting a trophy out. That statement is based on several frustrating and costly experiences.

I love Argentina. I am there for work several times a year and have been traveling there regularly for over 20 years. In my opinion, it is a hunter and tourist paradise. It is a shame the government and the hunting community cannot work together and resolve the issues that keep much of the international hunting community away.

Despite all of the issues, a hunt with Juan Pozzi is a must do on my bucket list.

Safe travels........Larry

You are correct about trophy shipping. It is ridiculous as far as cost and the red tape. I’ve just left my stags and buffalo at our lodge, as it is my second home and I’m out of space at my first home.

You are also correct about how it needs to be more friendly to the hunting community. As I said above, it should have been better under Macri, but I assume they are quite busy still fixing the mistakes of CFK.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Pozzi is a great exception to the rule.......but I firmly believe that the majority of outfitters are doing nothing to make importing our own guns easier.

They make most of their money off of shotgun shell sales, way too expensive, poor quality shells and gun rental.

Three 3 day rentals pay for a good quality shotgun.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear Jim ,you remember that wasvery easy to import your 458 lott and 416 remington rifles .But if you or any AR members visit my farms you can use my shotguns for free ,i never charged anything for my guns .
Un gran abrazo amigo .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dear Jim ,you remember that wasvery easy to import your 458 lott and 416 remington rifles .But if you or any AR members visit my farms you can use my shotguns for free ,i never charged anything for my guns .
Un gran abrazo amigo .

Of course I do my friend, they had issues with our Barnes bullets having hollow points, but you got that taken care of. And you had very nice shotguns for us to use at no charge.

It shouldn't be too long before we have direct flights from houston, and then I'm going to visit again!

Hope all the family is doing well, and my friend Julio?

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Un gran abrazo amigo .

Of course I do my friend, they had issues with our Barnes bullets having hollow points, but you got that taken care of. And you had very nice shotguns for us to use at no charge.

It shouldn't be too long before we have direct flights from houston, and then I'm going to visit again!

JTEX,

Are you serious about direct IAH to COR? What carrier?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jim, they had trouble with hollow-pointed bullets? Huh?
cuckoo

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16303 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Un gran abrazo amigo .

JTEX,

Are you serious about direct IAH to COR? What carrier?

American Air; said about One July

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
This is news to me. I’ve spent what would be a cumulative of weeks during layovers in Santiago, BsAs, Lima, Miami, Atlanta, and Bogotá.

I am excited.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hi ,Jim IKY is studying economy ,and guiding several groups a year ,Pilar studying medicine ,Lujan in the school yet .Julio still works in my hospital as paramedic and guides mostly birds .
Please send regards to Kevin .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi ,Jim IKY is studying economy ,and guiding several groups a year ,Pilar studying medicine ,Lujan in the school yet .Julio still works in my hospital as paramedic and guides mostly birds .
Please send regards to Kevin .

Wow. Time sure does fly........I'm very glad to hear all is well. I will certainly pass on your regards to Kevin.

I am sitting in the trophy room now looking at the skull of the buffalo I shot with you. I really need to go back and visit. I sure had a good time and certainly enjoyed your hospitality.

One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
American Air; said about One July[/QUOTE]

Sure about that? Makes no sense. AA from Houston? Would think DFW.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About two years ago, a couple of airlines tried direct flights, Miami to Cordoba. They lasted about 18 months. Can't get a straight answer from anyone on the ground as to why it didn't work out.

Been told that as part of the current government's domestic policy, there are plans to rebuild and enlarge the Cordoba airport in order to make it a direct destination point from North America. But so far, not much has been done to make it happen.

It would be great, though, to have two places in Argentina to which we can fly direct from the States.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Córdoba airport is pretty nice and not that old. I am surprised.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, the COR airport is nice and they’ve been continually improving since my first trip in 2006.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
American Air; said about One July

Sure about that? Makes no sense. AA from Houston? Would think DFW.[/QUOTE]

My thought as well. Would think it would be United.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are probably correct, I think it was a brain fart.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to try it again. I will report back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

Cordoba or BA? Please let us know.

The airport in Cordoba is, indeed, a clean and nice facility, very much like a regional facility here in the US. But it does not have the overall infrastructure to accommodate international flights carrying 300 plus passengers arriving / departing every hour all day long. It would take some major modifications to make this happen. At least that's what I've been told.

I'm going in June through BA. I'd take personal guns but I'm traveling with a group sponsored by Shooting Sportsman magazine and I don't want to tie up the entire party with the process.

114-R10David

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Entry of weapons
Tourists
a) Individuals who wish to go into the country with firearms must fill out the technical form of temporary authorization for entering or exiting firearms of Argentine Republic in triplicate for its control when entering or exiting the country.
- 1st copy: will be kept by the competent authority who will send it to the National Controlled Materials Agency (ANMaC).
- 2nd copy: will be kept by the tourist.
- 3rd copy: will be kept by the individual and will hand it in when leaving the country.

b) Pay a ar$ 1,500.- rate per weapon and for once.

Argentine authorities
-They will check the techinical form for its control when entering or exiting the country.
-Cetrify the entry of the firearms detailed in the technical form.
-Certify the payment in the technical form.

Other controls
It is possible that local police of argentine provinces make other controls over the firearms introduced to the country. That control is completely free of charge.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just heard today via one of Cordoba's largest outfitters that American Airlines will start direct flights Miami / Cordoba April 2019.

114-R10David