Find
Notify
Tools

Chiva meets Nosler
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
It was another beautiful October day in Argentina; clear blue skies, a bit warm, and we were hunting. What can make a day more pleasurable than to be in the field? And especially with good friends....nothing. Juan Pozzi and Alberto Foerster, my guides and hosts had learned of some feral goats (chivas) that were occupying a patch of brushy ground near one of Juan’s family’s farms. This area was about 20 to 30 kilometers from San Francisco; an agricultural center. Wheat, soybean, corn, and cattle.

Surrounding the lush fields of grain, and the pastures of cattle, are enclaves of bush, and it is in this bush that one can find javelina, feral hogs, puma, and goats. Very much like the brushy areas found in the Texas hill country.

We found the goats, about 4 or 5 as I recall, including a large ram with a wonderful dark grey coat. Alberto and I made a long stalk through the trees and brush and got within about 125 yards. I settled down, thought I had him and fired, missing him by inches. I knew the rifle was dead on so the fault was mine.

We tracked these quick moving “chivas†for quite a way and never did catch up with them - then. But the day was not over. Heading back to the truck we met two gauchos on horseback working in the area who said they had seen them and told us the direction they were heading. We moved to an area where we suspected they would come through and sure enough they came out of the brush and trees about 75 yards away. This time I was sure I had him, and the Marlin did its work properly, one round from my 45-70 (300 grain Nosler partition) and he was mine. As I sit at home in Pinetop now his horns grace the beam on my porch.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
That is a huge buck! WOW!

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We saw 3 goats but this is very nice ,its strange that surivived so long because my son is killing everything in the area now with his friends ,all the goats or most of them i believe belonged to that old couple that you met sometime ago Steve,do you remember both of them died and the place are abandoned ,some goats came from old farms abandoned .juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Speaking about your son Ikki, Juan, he is already a dedicated hunter and is a very fine shot. He even handled the Bowen well. I could not believe his accuracy with the .22 on those hares, and his ability to spot them so quickly, and his fine shooting with my 20 gauge. Next trip he will be my guide...... clap

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
WOW great trophy. Congratulations.
I need to go back to hunt with Juan.
Those where the days.

Cheers,

André

Always always use enough... GUN & KNIFE

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice trophy!. Congrats again, you did more in a week that most of us in years. Frowner

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Richard come with gus he will come on nov10 you must only bring the desire to hunt you can shoot 1000 doves in a day ,hunt hares ,foxes,cats,posibly pumas there are a lot ,hogs .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
We saw 3 goats but this is very nice ,its strange that surivived so long because my son is killing everything in the area now with his friends ,all the goats or most of them i believe belonged to that old couple that you met sometime ago Steve,do you remember both of them died and the place are abandoned ,some goats came from old farms abandoned .juan

Is that the farm where we went out in the bush in the back and saw all of those salt flats and the road into the farm house was lined on both sides with giant trees?

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the salt flats, but this was in a area of brushy acreage about one half kilometer from Juan's cousin's farm. And yes, the lane leading up to the farmhouse was lined by giant eucalyptus trees. They provided great bird shooting. Golden doves, Patagonia Blue Pigeons, hawks, and parrots. Does this look familiar?

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes ,Steve and his father were hunting in this area in the same farm Steve killed a goat ,and near a channel two russian boars ,there is some salt in the land ,a lot of pidgeons lives there.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA