Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping trophys by sea
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted
Has anyone shipped there trophys home from argentina by sea?

I do not want to use delta airfreight because of there stupid ban on the big 5. It cost too much to airfreight them anyway.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 12 animals in U.S. Customs right now. All the fees and the airfreight to Seattle was $2400. The crate weighs 129 kilos and it flew on American. No freight hassles. I offer this only to give you a comparison.

The bigger problem is getting the paperwork to get the stuff out of the country. It took me 17 months from my hunt.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Thunerhead.
We have checked that possibility for our clients so as to get better options in terms of $$.
Most of taxidermists we have contacted were very clear in saying that the sea liner option is not recommended for our trophies because of the long time exposure to a high humidity ambient. We have seen the effects of the humidity on capes and masks when the dehydration process is not complete. Please check this with your local taxidermist. I am not saying its not possible but saying that the trophies could be exposed to a harmful environment during transit time.
Let us all know if u get any other opinion over this.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Just received quote for shipping to ATLanta.
1 skull mount red stag
1 black buck cape/horns

$1,712.55
Ridiculous, I might just tell them to keep them.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted Argentina about eight years ago and took a stag and a couple of boars. The only thing I had shipped home was the horns and cape of the stag. I was shocked when I received a shipping bill for $1700.00. It pissed me off and I fired off an email to the shipper and told him to just keep it. The next day I had a new bill at a much reduced price.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Thunder.
Do u have the breakdown for the 1,712 bucks ?
It seems expensive for a crate w 2 items. Unless the stag is a HUGE rack (massive volume), the final bill shouldn't be so expensive.
let us know.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
From Freight forwarder & custom broker

Pick up $89
Handling $121
Warehousing $86.5
Third party organism $165
Buenos aires airport fees $100
Custom clearance $148.60
Air freight $319.02
Courier $80
Transfer fee $32.11

Taxidermy broker:
Cites cert. Black Buck $125
Export cert. $50
Sanitary certificate $30
Packaging/cleaning $120
Disinfection X2 $50
conservation fee $25
Professional fees $57
Taxes (21%) $99.15
Wire transfer $15.17

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow! More than I paid for three shipments from Africa.* If I had any thoughts about hunting SA, this post cured it.

Rich

* pre-Cecil

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
You guys down there , clean up your act

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote