New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firearms to Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone shed light on the current regulations regarding taking firearms to Argentina? Thank you in advance for any current info.

Appreciatively,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years since I took guns. When I last did it , I had to get a bunch of documents from the consulate. It was a massive pain in the backside .

I doubt it has changed.

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11906 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Larry.

One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Mark, I have a hunt scheduled for 2022. My outfitter said that it cost $120 per firearm and "its not a big deal, I´ll ask you for the gun information and I´ll prepare the paperwork that needs to be presented on your arrival". It does not appear that you need to go through a consulate any longer.

You should probably check with the outfitter you're looking at using and see how he handles it.

Posts: 383 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said before , it has been a few years. One thing I remember is that things were not consistent between consulates . Some required a visit . Some didn’t.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with my long-time Argentine outfitter today. No official government changes with respect to foreign nationals bring guns into Argentina. Business as usual for the immediate future. Consulate letters, etc....

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Nothing changed just the number of the ranch ,and Pay the fee

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can someone please explain the process to take a handgun.

Thank,

AR

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reddy375:
Can someone please explain the process to take a handgun.

Thank,

AR

I am not sure that is allowed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I've hunted Argentina twice (a few years ago) with my handguns. I'm trying to work with the consulate in my jurisdiction (Chicago) to procure the appropriate documents. Nothing is easy....

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Difficulty with firearms is the ONLY reason I have not hunted Argentina. The outfitters say it is no problem. Those that have gone say it is a pain. Since there is no consulate in Alaska I will forever have to pass.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been going for years. Until the rules changed and the consulate letter became an integral part of the process, it really wasn't a problem. Certainly no more so than taking guns into Africa. In fact, it was easier than Africa. The problems were largely brought about by incompetent staff and large numbers of hunters coming off the same plane, each with two guns. Then there was a period of time when they introduced a fee which had to be paid in Argentine money, which caused havoc and confusion during the check-in process. The consulate letter issue has done nothing but make things worse.

Since I shoot ducks and other birds, it's really not important to me to have my own gun. I can use an outfitter's auto or O/U and have just as much fun. In fact, it's a better set of circumstances. Why not put several thousand rounds thru the other guy's gun?

One might consider Uruguay if bent on using one's own gun. The process in Uruguay is simple, you show up with a US Customs 4457 and go thru a quick, simple registration process at the airport, which, in my experience, was not a big deal. And the shooting in Uruguay is every bit as good as Argentina, although the number of outfitters and venues are more limited. (My last trip to Uruguay was 4 years ago. Things may be different now.)

In any event, I think that for the avid wingshooter, a trip to Argentina or Uruguay is a must. It's an experience you'll never forget.

Best.........TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
Outfitters are glad to rent guns at high prices. Nothing will get done about this.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote