Find
Notify
Tools

About "mountain lions" in La Pampa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
The offering of hunting these cats in a topic in the "Offered and Discounted Hunts" Forum made my think a little bit about the management of this animal for hunting purpose.

The hunting of wild "mountain lion" or puma, is not allowed in La Pampa province since 2007.

The only animals allowed to be hunted must be specially raised for this purpose. There are three authorized breeders and every animal has a number.

So the thing is that every one of these three authorized places that breed and sell pumas has a limited number of animals to be sold each year.

It's a legal offer, one can like it or not but it's still legal so there is nothing to hide.

What happen with the cat if once released it it's not hunted, it stays roaming free and it's allowed to be hunted next season ?

Does an animal (predator) that was hand raised can survive by it's own i the wilderness ? is he able to hunt and kill it's own food ?

What is the size of the area where the animal is released for being hunted ?

I want to thank our AR member Guillermo Amestoy for providing me the info about these breeding programs that I sharing with you here. Thanks Guille thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
This is a real shame and should be stopped. This goes a step beyond "estate" or ranch hunting. SC I should be notified and any hunter who brags about killing a puma that has just been released from his kitty litter box should be ashamed of himself. Mad

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a real shame and should be stopped. This goes a step beyond "estate" or ranch hunting. SC I should be notified and any hunter who brags about killing a puma that has just been released from his kitty litter box should be ashamed of himself.

...and what happens with RSA Lions ?!
Same Story other continent !

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
This is a real shame and should be stopped. This goes a step beyond "estate" or ranch hunting. SC I should be notified and any hunter who brags about killing a puma that has just been released from his kitty litter box should be ashamed of himself. Mad

Bill:

If the truth were to be known, a large number of the South American pumas from Argentina already listed in the SCI record book spent time in a box not too long before they were shot.

The problem is, canned cat outfitters are experts at staging "hunts" and hiding the truth from their clients.

(To me, this is fraud, and such crooks should be prosecuted.)

When SCI dropped African lion entries from South Africa and Namibia from its record book years ago as a result of blatant canned hunting in those countries, many members whose lions were removed claimed their "trophies" were genuine free-ranging wild lions.

This despite the fact that they had taken them far from anywhere a wild lion had walked in at least 75 years. The "hunts" had been so well orchestrated that the members could not believe they had been duped.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To make things worse, the fact is that there are many free pumas roaming the pampas. So, to punish a certain trophy the SCI should be sure that the animal was pen raised. In other provinces, pumas are a real menace: a friend of mine in Dean Funes, Cordoba, lost many heads of very dear exotics due to three pumas in the last months, albeit an olympic wire fence. And the predators could not be yet be shot. Eeker

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
simple solution to the canned hunts is to have the canned animals branded. pretty hard to explain a wild lion that has a brand on it

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GrayDuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo:

What happen with the cat if once released it it's not hunted, it stays roaming free and it's allowed to be hunted next season ?

Does an animal (predator) that was hand raised can survive by it's own i the wilderness ? is he able to hunt and kill it's own food ?

My guess is they will survive on domestic livestock which is just one more problem with this whole situation.

"The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry" - Robert Burns

Posts: 226 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 30 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Well my friends, I have receive new info.

Some outfitters still pay for trapped pumas so they can keep the in cages till the next client.

They put them in cages without water and they released them thirsty and with some kind of drug while they take the client to the waterhole.

Also when hunting with dogs, they put the trap in a 45° angle against a big tree in the bush with one employee.

They release the dogs and the dog handler walks towards "that" part of the bush. When the dogs arrive they open the cage and the cat climb the tree (obviously) with the dogs barking under the tree.

the "white hunter" Big Grin says to the client: Hey, listen the dogs !!! come on run !!!

Meanwhile the cage and the emplyee disapear and the tired hunter arrives and BANG !!!

Well, that's all.. Roll Eyes

But not everyone is like this, there are very serious outfitters and Argentine is one of the best places to go hunting, don't allow some bad apples to spoil a great place to vist Wink

I go every year and I hope to continue doing it for the rest of my life !!

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo said: "But not everyone is like this, there are very serious outfitters and Argentine is one of the best places to go hunting, don't allow some bad apples to spoil a great place to visit."

And I could not agree more. A wonderful country with wonderful people and many, many honest and ethical outfitters. Those who operate dishonestly should be publicized and the state should take steps to cancel their licenses.

I can also say that for the past several years "I go every year and I hope to continue doing it for the rest of my life !!" It has become my favorite destination.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friends ,in LA PAMPA canned hunt is legal totally legal ,you can take or not ,but for instance in RIO NEGRO pumas are considered a pest and you can hunt as many as you want ,here in CORDOBA we have many problems pumas a lady asked my help because she lost 21 cows ,i went with my dogs,i baited it and finally 2 old guys i put on the bait shot it and MISSED-second time same spot another client misfired after seeing the lion ,for some time it disapeared but events like this are pretty common here .
I lost many lambs ,thanks to this cats.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote