Find
Notify
Tools

SA Waterfowl Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello all,

I am preparing to head to Reno to interview outfitters for South American bird hunts (NOT Mexico). I want to book a hunt for a single hunter for Waterfowl only and a separate hunt for decoy pigeons only. I have zero interest in doves or perdiz. Can anyone give me 1st hand accounting of their experience with either of my 2 planned hunts and who they went with. Also since I have not done this before I would ask each of you what would you do different (what did you learn)?

Thanks in advance.

SG

One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,

Please contact me via email or phone. I can answer all your questions. Would you like to bring any of the waterfowl back for your trophy room ?

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
SG Olds,

Here are some of the waterfowl species you can collect in South America. Depending upon which species fancy you we can get you to the right area. Rosy-billed Pochard is the "Mallard Equivalent" of South America and decoys very very well. It makes grunting sounds and is a very very sporting duck. Geese may be closed in 2010 in some provinces in Argentina but things may change for them.

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been the last 5 or 6 years. We are going again in July. It is fantastic shooting. If my memory serves me correctly, I have taken as many as 11 species of ducks in a single shoot. Generally, I shoot about 100 ducks a day.

There are all kinds of shoots. Some on big water. Some on small marshes. Decoys are commonly used. However, I have had great success wading into the reeds or other cover and hiding there.

In all of those trips, I have personally had probably 2 individual shoots that weren't great. One because a gate was locked and we couldn't get to the marsh we wanted. The other, something or someone tore the blind down.

The big issue for us has been the weather. It is well known that Argentina has had some drought years. This forced the outfitter to change the location of our hunt. Hard to kill the ducks when there is no water.

Generally, the ducks and geese are not in the same area. Last year on a single shoot, we whacked quite a few geese. It is the one and only time that we have taken geese while duck hunting.

What would I do different? Nothing.

We went with Argentina Outfitters. www.argentinaoutfitters.com

I would highly recommend it.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

What dates are you going?

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mid July. I will have to get the exact dates. I don't know off the top of my head.

Go with us. It is a lot of fun.

Posts: 11943 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HUNT WITH JUAN PABLO POZZI MD PHD.HES A FUN OF DUCK HUNTING AND WILL HUNT WITH HIM EXCLUSIVELY,BESIDES DRINKING THE BEST MALBECS AND CHAMPAGNES ,AND EAT TONS OF ASADO.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Check out Juan Pozzi's web site.....I have hunted birds and waterfowl with him several times with great success. If you will be at SCI in Reno next week, look me up in the press room.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote