Find
Notify
Tools

Buffalo Hunt in Argentina
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted
As Juan and alberto have mentioned, we had a marvelous hunt in Argentina, harvesting birds, hogs, goat, capybara, Yarara', and 3 very fine buffalo. I have posted some of the story on the "Hunts in the Rest of the World" forum, but wished to put some of my favorite pictures here.
Yarara" Juan almost stepped on.

Fangs of the Yarara'

Lion tracks

third buff

First buff--good stalk

Gauchos at the river with all 3 buff

Giant Old Murrah-type cow--ear marking from when released 26 years previously. Only the oldest gaucho rememberd that they had earmarked buff driven down form Formosa Province many years ago.

Young gaucho boy--shoed us the way to where the others were

My Horse

Fernando. Visible wound on shoulder is exit of final shot into sternum as bull was down and rolled

Alberto, me, Fernando with cow

Juan and Andreas with my Merkel 375 Double

Very Enjoyable Hunt.

Steve
"He wins the most, who honour saves. Success is not the test." Ryan
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

Posts: 8100 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, although some of those hats... Eeker

Looks like a great hunt.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like one heck of a good time! With some nice trophies to boot!

Was it Juan's idea to bury those poor buffalo up to heads in the picture by the river? Big Grin

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes that was my idea how you know...We have had a wonderful time ,two great stalks one in capibara one in a lonely bull,Steven is in great shape and thats helps a lot because when you have a limited time and hunt in totally wild areas unfenced places if you fail that stalk perhaps you lost your only oportunity ,so we move very very slowly like snipers and hopefully Steven dindt missed a shot ,hes very well,trained with his merkel .HE SAVED MY LEG WITH THIS YARARA THANKS STEVEN .AND IF I CAYCH THAT LION IT WILL BE DEDICATED TO YOU.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
In the photos with the camo suit and the buffalo alone is PAYO one of my guides full of 9mm holes i repaired sometime ago, in the last one with me is Andres an md and airborne officer who guides fo us too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats Steve on your hunt and success. The Yarara looks like it would make a great hat band or belt. Email me sometime and I will tell you how to make a simple tanning solution. Good hunting, David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
thumb

Congrats to all hunters and guides !!!!
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the fine photos. The "yarara" is a new snake for me and one I am glad not to have ever met in the field. I understand they can be quite aggressive.

The buff are fine, and I really like the old cow with the curly horn. The gaucho saddles looked quite comfortable. Did you get a hat to bring back?

Tell us what ammo, or handloads, you used in the Merkel.

Memorable hunt with great people. Good on ya.... thumb

This is a picture of Juan digging the holes to put the buffalo bodies in.... diggin

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Bill, I had a few 300 gr NorthFork cup-point solids for the first bull, then went to 300 gr Federal Nosler Partitions. On the capybara, I borrowed Willy's 1909 Argentine Mauser in 375H&H with a scope, and used his 300 gr silvertips. We left some of the gauchos butchering the buffalo, and I regretfully can not report on penetration/expansion--but they all seemed to work.
a few more picts:

The dogo Lanhuel:

The capybara

Group of riders

Steve
"Those who vote decide nothing. Those who count the vote decide everything." Stalin
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Excellent pics !!! Cool Cool Cool

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Martin did you see the photos of the tracks its the same farm where we saw that giant lion with Bill and we have been hunting with you the same family of lion when you came we will put a bait there with a live lamb.
Ill go the the gun show with some of the members of los dogos group .Steven won the patch ,please Steven can you show the patch .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Juan, I will post a photo of the hat and the patch tonite.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional pictures....Lanuel is a wonder dog. A gentle giant, but when the time comes, he is unstoppable. I would imagine the cartridges you mentioned would work very well. I have used Nosler partitions in 260 grain, but in the .375 I believe the 300 is preferable.

Juan, nice to know that lion still lives. And give Lanuel, Esquel, and the other a pat for me. Keep the beer cold and the parilla hot....
beer

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven said thats the lion is for you as you saw it first we will try to hunt it with you i hope not to bitted by a yarara there.Steven this is one site of battalion 32 www.battalion32.net put in google selous scouts and there is an intersing site with tracking manuals ,coin ,and operating manuals as most of your PHs in Africa are ex operators you will find it intersting .Tomorrow we will try to find the lion one of the guys will cover terrain with a sniper tikka tactical but we are 10 hunters.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven i recommend you the book Nyati by the african hunter team ,when we returned from our expeditios i found it at my hospital a nice present by my friend DON HEATH .jUAN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Steven for a wonderful adventure ,i worked for LOS DOGOS in Esquina and im member of the group ,indeed we designed the patch with Cristian ,Juan and Afrikaader .Iknow Juan from the 12 years old when i was in the military school and he was a well known rifle champion ,he introduced me later in hunting and guiding althoug i cannot hunt as he hunts i always trains shooting as he adviced me ,here everybody is or was trained by him ,the cops ,military,hunters etc hes an expert on rifle ,pistol or shotgun ,sometime ago i go with him to a combat shooting match in RAFAELA SANTA fE he wasnt competing since a lot of years ago and he never competed in that speciality called FBI shooted with snubbies BUT HE WON THE STATE MATCH ,then he won the rifle match too.Ispook with one of his trainers a commando called cap.Vives and he saind nobody can winn him in the army ,so one time he lost ,they put in his rifle training ammo ....BUT I BELIEVE SOMEDAY ILL WIN HIM WITH MY OPEN SIGTHED CZ375HYH ,do you remeber afrikaader my shot to the nandues.Marcos

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I remember that shot perfectly well, Marcos !!!
A nandu some two hundred meters away, shot with a CZ 375 H&H with open sights .... thumb

And I must admit that since that time I learnt to appreciate the nice taste of the "picanas" (nandues' tails)... perhaps we might spend sometime hunting together soon again, both with you and Juan !!!

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the successful hunt!

Juan, I am looking forward to the patch for my hat...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
David the hunt is like you like in an extreme wild place ,you need 3 or 4 hours it depends on the weather and the rivers to be near the area of the hunt very few people hunt here .The hat is designed for the knife hunters ,Steven hunted hog wirth knife in Hawaii and here he ver hesitated in killing the boar.Juan SI VIS PACE PARA BELLUM.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how juan use to hunt buffalos when he was very young and not famous ,-i believe many here can testified this- he released his dogo in the swaps the old bulls inmediately charged the dog and him and he shot a lot of buffalos at 10 mts with an old cz375hyh ,his cz 308with fmjs ....a very intersting to hunt a buffalo bull ,i saw photos of PAIMUN hanging from the nose of a buffalo.
Bill all the members of los dogos are waiting you .

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Marcos, I wish we had met while I was in Argentina. glad to have you on board.

Here's a few more picts.

Gaucho on the plains.

Teeth of the Carpincho

Penis of capy pushed from common cloaca

Juan Retreiving Capybara

Butchering buffalo

Marcos and Africaander, when I had put two shots thru the chest of the first buffalo, it turned to charge us. Juan put a 45/70 thru the middle of its chest, which staggered it. Then his gun jammed, and I was able to reload and put two more into him, which was his finish.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Wonderfull report , that was an fine hunt in an fine country, and wonderfull pictures you had there.

I`m looking forward to the day i can set my foot on las Pampas with the rifle in hand and Bowie in the sheath .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven thank you for the photos ,and i can say that every charge that i experimented its unforgetable.That bull charged us because we surprised him at very close distance .I performed surgeries in hunter and farmers attacked by cebues and buffalos and i can assure thats a serious thing ,i also saw a destroyed dogo by a bull ,so i stalk so close only when i know that the hunter is a real expert .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and great pictures!

Thanks for sharing

Justin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Mr.Graves,Juan, Willy: Congratulations!!!! clap clap clap Very nice hunt !!! really wild, true ??? A few years ago I hunted my first water-buffalo with Juan and Paimun (Lanhuels Father) and I will never forget that aventure, it was more exciting than a recent bisont hunt in South Dakota, and in Corrientes the hunters really feel hunting like Africa´s old times. See all soon, Regards,Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Some pictures from that fantastic adventure with Juan, the great warrior Paimun and my noble 416 rigby.The enviroment:
[IMG:left] [/IMG]
the friends and the trophy:
The lethal hit(Barnes 410grs)[IMG:left] [/IMG]:
Me and Paimun:
Munchi; I really miss you !!! I have some hair from you in my hunting field coat and in my old car.
Juan, Munchi(Paimun),and Gordillo!!!

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Guile thanks for the kind words ,it remebers me al the adventures with you ,my cousin ,and the great paimun ,i always miss him ,and ill met him in the valhalla to hunt again ......Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
We are seeing that old photos with Flavia and we both have tears in our eyes ,THANKS AGAIN FOR A TRIBUTE TO A GREAT WARRIOR FROM ANOTHER WARRIOR .juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of SGraves155
posted Hide Post
Guillermo, thanks for the picts. Paimun must have been a remarkable dogo. Lanhuel and Esquel did us very well, too. And of course, Africa is a top-of-the-ranks retriever---she understands everything. Very nice horns on your buff.

Juan, will you measure the buffalo we got? Let me know the scores if you do so.

Steve
Tanzania 06
Argentina08
Argentina
Australia06
Argentina 07
Namibia
Arnhemland10
Belize2011
Moz04
Moz 09

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I dindnt received the heads yet when i receive them ill measure SCI score.
Both LANHUEL and ESQUEL are PAIMUN sons .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
I sure wish I was there! Hopefully soon stir

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear friends this is a poem to the dogos i think you would appreciate.
EL VIEJO DOGO
ACERCASE LAMIENDOME LA MANO
Y SE TIENDE A MIS PIES PAUSADAMENTE
TIENE SUENO MI PERRO INTELIGENTE
MI VIEJO GLADIADOR CORDILLERANO
SE HA DORMIDO SONANDO EN UN LEJANO
PAISAJE CETRERIL PORQUE ES VALIENTE
Y SUENA CON UN DUELO A GARRA Y DIENTE
EN EL MALLIN BOSQUE O PANTANO
VIEJO DOGO DESCANSA QUE YA ES HORA,
MIENTRAS MI GRATITUD TE CONDECORA ,
Y EN EL ARMINO DE TU PIEL SIN BRUMAS
GRAVARONTE CORALES Y RUBIES
CON DAGAS DE MARFIL LOS JABALIES
Y CON TRIDENTES DE CAREY LOS PUMAS.
A,NORES MARTINEZ

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Juan
In English is this close?

THE OLD DOGO
APPROACHED LICKING MY HAND
AND PAUSES AT MY FEET
MY INTELLIGENT DOG SLEEPS
MY OLD MOUNTAIN GLADIATOR
SLEEPS SOUNDLY IN A DISTANT LANDSCAPE
BECAUSE HE IS BRAVE AND HE SLEEPS WITH
A MOURNING TO CLAW AND TOOTH
IN THE MALLIN FOREST OR OLD SWAMP
THE OLD DOGO RESTS BECAUSE IT IS THE HOUR,
WHILE MY GRATITUDE COMMENDS YOU,

Carajo!!! I gave up here.......more and more I appreciate how difficult it
is to translate from one language to another.

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Steven ,Bill a great puma was killed near our area by Guillermo Garnero a local young hunter son of a great hunter,the cat killed many calfs the waited for him in one of his kills from 11pm until 1am where he appeared was killed with a 12 auto and slugs and moonligth ,its a huge cat ,our catcontinues in the same place .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: very close to center. Your translation is almost perfect. Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Bill: very close to center. Your translation is almost perfect. Wink

Ditto.... Congratulations !!

In fact, you even curse like anyone of us... carajo !!! Big Grin Big Grin

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
PAIMUN

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Great pics.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just reposting because an iliterate stupid selfish guy said that Juan hasnt big game experience . Roll Eyesi forgot to tell that hes a famous outdoor writer too

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mfischer:
just reposting because an iliterate stupid selfish guy said that Juan hasnt big game experience . Roll Eyesi forgot to tell that hes a famous outdoor writer too

Marcos, thanks...brings back some fond memories...see you soon. Do you ever hear any more from Graves? Is Willy still in San Francisco?

Theodore Roosevelt