Tools

Retiring in South America
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
Spent some time in Buenos Aires this past month for work. Buenos Aires is one of my favorite cities and I lived there 2 years. Apart from it being so cold, I had a great time and the new government has made a difference. The city has cleaned up tremendously and our branches are growing. If I chose to live in Latin America again, Argentina would be at the top of the list.

My wife and I have discussed moving back down south many times. However, having lived (not visited, actually lived) in several Latin American countries, we are more comfortable in the US as we get older.

Safe travels.............LL

I haven't been to BsAs since Macri took over. It was not pleasant under Cristina.

I spend close to half the year in the Córdoba province of Argentina working for an outfitter and have a girlfriend there. It is a wonderful country, but does have a few drawbacks.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was working full time I had a large number of clients who had "retired well". Of those that chose to live somewhere other than the US almost all lived in Mexico or other LATAM countries for part of the year and the other part in the US. I think one of the coolest ideas came from folks that had RV's and lived on the Mexico coast for part of the year. Probably not practical when you still have school age kids at home. I would guess that anywhere you went in LATAM you would either have to home school your kids or pay a lot for private education. One of my best friends' wife grew up in Peru-dad worked for Gulf Oil back in the day and retired extremely well at age 55. He could have stayed longer and ended up with even a lot more $$$ but to quote him "I didn't want my daughter marrying a local" (he was from Vermont).

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive been a world traveler and spent a lot of time in many countries..I get homesick and tired of the 3rd world politics and civil disturbance too one degree or another..Just no place like the USA and only certain parts of that these days!!

I like Southern Idaho and Southwest Texas best..Good schools, good people, good hunting, good fishing and lots of ropings and rodeos..

In the small communities we still say the a prayer for the athelets and rodeo hands, and we stand up and take our hats off when old glory passes, at rodeos and sports events, we ignore the supreme court on prayer in school, and failure to do these things is guarantee to a sho nuff ass whupping, maybe loss of a job and a trip to the state line in some cases..If you disagree with that 1940s philosophy then Idaho ain't for you. If your a democrat you won't like it here, unless you live in Blaine county where the liberals hide out.

I miss Africa from time to time, but I would never want to live there under the present circumstances..About 30 to 45 days every couple of years was a nice fix over the years..then I couldn't wait to get home..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, most countries in S Am. have seriously hurdles to overcome to allow foreign residents to own/possess firearms.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Our kids were born in Australia, we have a path to retirement there, but not sure it is worth the squeeze financially.

3 bed 2 bath houses in Australia are regularly $500,000.

Anything with land would be a super premium.

Kind of eats your retirement fast.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
3 bed 2 bath for $500,000, that will buy the doghouse in the backyard in Seattle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man has to know his limitations. I turned down my dream job on Kuaui in Hawaii because I couldn't find a place to live for under $600,000 for my family.

That was for something slapped together with mud and a tin roof, that had flush toilets.

On Hawaii (the big island, not the state) you can buy a decent house with 20 acres of land for $450,000 which is better than most of the nicer to live areas of Wyoming and Montana.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But, you're not considering a couple of factors, Aussie dollar is roughly .75 of US, so you have the possibility of exchange appreciation, especially if natural resource prices recover. The pendulum always swings back.

AFA Hawaii is concerned, they ain't making anymore habitable land, and there seems to be a continuing demand, my personal opinion is you would have been money ahead if you had moved there and carefully real estate shopped ahead of time.

One can also rent while shopping.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Australian dollar is 80 US Cents currently, when I lived there it was 1.15 plus American. It has just started to reverse a few years after I left.

When you don't have a job in retirement, and your retirement was $1500 a month it is hard to make it work in a country where the poverty line for families is $100,000 USD.

We are fine now, but I am not sure what we would have done if we'd have stayed in Australia.

The really killer isn't housing, it is groceries. I remember $1400 grocery bills every month for a family of four.

Perhaps we will live there again, perhaps someplace else.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawaii would be great if they had reasonable gun laws.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawaii would be great if they had reasonable gun laws.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
"I've been everywhere man"

Winter in Texas, get a summer place in the Rocky Mountains.

We live West of Austin and plan to get a place in Southern Colorado. New Mexico is closer, but Colorado is much better. Want to be able to drive there in a day and do OTC archery elk for non-residents. Thinking about Pagosa Springs.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3038 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My uncle Sam made me do it, just a product of 25 years under his employment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin Hunter:

Pagosa Springs is a great choice....for the summer. We lived in nearby Durango for 10 years, and miss it greatly. Will probably end up back there.

Winter in Texas, summer in Pagosa is a great plan.

Best.....TWL

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a cousin that's lived in pagosa since '72. Retired now and spends 6 months in the winter down south in Tucson. I'm not gonna condemn anyone's home area. BUT, imo, there's a hell of a lot more places better to stay warm at.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who knows where we will end up. World keeps changing.

I have lived in Europe in 3 countries, Australia, and all over the United States.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

I'm thinking about getting a place in a no state income tax location like Wyoming and spending winters in another locale. Agree with keeping base in US for healthcare, banking, and long term.

Have looked at land in many other countries, seems like there are always issues. Also not sure there is any place I could be sure I wanted to stay long term. Kind of like the idea of moving around - spending chunks of time in places like argentina, australia, maybe even Cape Town (good central location to explore africa).

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For some time we were South Dakota (no income tax) residents with a South Dakota mail forwarding service. Many RV folks do this. It is really easy. However fi you like hunting and fishing you will be paying non-resident fees. Texas is also a popular no income tax state with mail forwarding services but you'll have Texas plates on your vehicle and I think they have frequent licensing inspections.

Posts: 451 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 03 January 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW your right problems every where. If its cheap then there's a flipside too. ..too expensive. ..well too expensive. However if I today should choose a country to retire in a country like Portugal would be a candidate. Lovely climath and faily civilized people and faily decent house prices. Drop a mail to Shikar Steve here on forum.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear Costa Rica is the place to retire too. I've heard the climate is great at about 4,000 ft. elevation in the mountains.

Posts: 966 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 23 September 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ive been a world traveler and spent a lot of time in many countries..I get homesick and tired of the 3rd world politics and civil disturbance too one degree or another..Just no place like the USA and only certain parts of that these days!!

I like Southern Idaho and Southwest Texas best..Good schools, good people, good hunting, good fishing and lots of ropings and rodeos..

In the small communities we still say the a prayer for the athelets and rodeo hands, and we stand up and take our hats off when old glory passes, at rodeos and sports events, we ignore the supreme court on prayer in school, and failure to do these things is guarantee to a sho nuff ass whupping, maybe loss of a job and a trip to the state line in some cases..If you disagree with that 1940s philosophy then Idaho ain't for you. If your a democrat you won't like it here, unless you live in Blaine county where the liberals hide out.

I miss Africa from time to time, but I would never want to live there under the present circumstances..About 30 to 45 days every couple of years was a nice fix over the years..then I couldn't wait to get home..

Sounds great!

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote