Find
Notify
Tools

Getting trophies home from South America
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I had a PM alluding to some nasty cost and paperwork headaches trying to get trophies home from our Southern Hemisphere. I would mainly want skulls and antlers/horns. Anything I should be aware of as I begin putting together a budget for a hunt in say, Argentina?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16305 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't give you any info on what you're asking about.
But, a month ago I mailed two small books to Juan and the US postage was $23. I just about filled my shorts to hear that much.

Wish you well, hope you get what you're looking for without breaking your bank.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
COst me about $1,500.00 to get two Buffalo skulls to Texas from Argentina.

Pretty high in my book!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Last week I paid $986.00 (US) dip, packing, and shipping the hides, skulls, and antlers of a red stag and a fallow deer buck from BA to LAX. I was surprised how much more the costs were compared with shipping trophies back from Tanzania two years ago.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
It cost us a little over $3k for 8 animals from Argentina.....pretty much on par with African shipments. Watch for scams though. On two occasions we had other brokers tell us they were taking over the shipment when they really weren't. Of course they wanted money. I suspect the taxidermist gave them our information.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
The final number will depend on the number of items and therefore the crate size.
We always advice our clients to aside 1,000 to 1,500 usd for an export containing a stag skull plus a couple of small skull trophies (ram/blackbuck/fallow.. ).
Paperwork at argentina plus dip & pack can go up to 800 usd, then u will have to cover the airfreight which can go from 500 to 900 usd depending wight and size and time of the year, and after that the import clearance costs at US plus the ground shipping which are minor costs compared to the airfreight and argentina's side costs.
Dont know if u are coming with other pals. If so, be aware that some ranches/brokers tend to group several items from different hunters to lower the total cost of papaerwork (1 paperwork, several hunters game under 1 single hunter name). You should avoid large grouping and more precisely with red stag trophies. Having more than 2 stags under same hunter's papaerwork will fire and alert at US fish and wildlife. They know that getting a Stag is ok, having 2 can also be possible. But having 3 by a single hunter will definitely bring their attention on the crate, they can stop the impo and start asking clarifications to ur import broker.
We know about this because we deal with different brokers at the US like Global Hunters (FL) . They suffer and handle such grouping issues so u should talk to ur selected broker for more details on that aspect.
Hope this helps. U can PM for more detailed info regarding the export process and papaerwork.

Good luck and good hunting.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in March of this year and still don't have the trophies. Next week, next week, next week is a common refrain.

Once you leave you have very little leverage.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Speaking of costs, how about $27.50 US for one quart of Mobil 1 motor oil!!! This is the current rate in Chile! Talk about thieves!!1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is enough to make me reconsider a hunt in SA next year.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
This is enough to make me reconsider a hunt in SA next year.

I wouldn't worry about it, you can only drink so much Mobil 1. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ghostbird
posted Hide Post
Gato... you have not met my old Chevy pickup.

Big Grin old

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member

Posts: 561 | Location: North Alabama, USA | Registered: 14 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
From my hunt in March of 2014 I am about $1700 to get 2 blackbuck from the outfitter in Santa Rosa to the taxidermist in Texas.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of john e
posted Hide Post
My Trophy shipments from Argentina were more expensive per size/weight than any of my African safaris. Poitahue did a fantastic job of keeping everything straight and was upfront about 1-man, 1-box for shipping trophies. They even sent a replacement hide (Santiago is a good guy). I still have 5 sets of stag horns in limbo (not Poitahue, another ranch) because I refuse to pay $1600.00 a piece to import them back to the USA. This is nothing new for Argentina trophy shipments, so plan ahead and try to work as much as possible through the hunting operation.

"How do we inspire ourselves to greatness when nothing less will do" -- Invictus

Posts: 440 | Location: south texas | Registered: 10 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi John e.
Thanks for the mention. You are right when pointing that Argentina´s airfreight to US are more expensive than Africa route. Unfortunately, we are over the Africa avge. The trophy volume freight from Africa to US is ten times the amount of trophies we ship from AR. Airfreight and handling from Africa are way less expensive than AR route due to a simple matter of volume. We are trying to improve the costs but its difficult to get better deals with our nowadays volume.

​OUR CLIENTS SPEAK FOR US,

Santiago Diaz Mathe
Co-Founder & Manager
Poitahue Hunting Ranch
SDS Outdoors Obsession
Phone: +1 214 329 9013
Web: www.poitahue-hunting.com
Web: www.sdsbiggameobsession.com
Address: Argentina - La Pampa - North Patagonia
Dallas show: DSC 2020 Booth #2228
Reno show: SCI 2020 Booth #234

Posts: 47 | Location: Argentina - LA PAMPA | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
My friend and I paid a total of approximately $3,000 to get 1 buffalo trophy each from our Argentina hunt shipped to the US. They were to be shoulder mounts.

This was from a hunt with Juanpozzi. He used a shipping agent named Federico Testa.

When we finally got the trophies to Best Stretch Fur company about a year later, a Mr. Greene called me to report that they were ruined.

My trophy skull was completely crushed!! Both skins were ruined from lack of preparation. The hair had slipped.

Equally bad was the amount of skin left. There was barely enough to do a head mount rather than a shoulder mount...and that was assuming the hair had not slipped.

Best Stretch reported that the trophies were just thrown in a cardboard box and shipped.

When we got them home just before Christmas our taxidermist refused to mount them. We threw them into the garbage bin.

We contacted Juan to see if he could get just our shipping cost reimbursed but he replied that it was Testa's fault and Testa is evidently not being responsive.

If you hunt Argentina just go for the hunt. Don't expect to get a trophy from the hunt mounted - at least that is our experience.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Sadly Palmer is totally correct export trophys from here to USA costs aprox 1500us each VER EXPENSIVE COMPARED WITH THE HUNT and lately we have had some exportation problems but this is corrected with a new broker.
I offered Allen -palmer -a free safari .The safari was great hes a great hunter and at least in his previos reports Allen said we have had a great safari.To destroy a buffsalo skull is very difficult but it was done .....never happened before they can ruin the furs but destroy a skull i even thougth that was on pourpouse some ecologist in an airport or just accident ...

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
This is how my buffalo skull arrived

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Is there anything to keep you from bringing your trophys with you? (If you have time to prep them)
I see people bringing there Ibex trophys from Asia with them on the return trip. I brought my mtn. goat back with me from Canada.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Sounds like stag hunt in Europe might be bargain then?
Or Texas?

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Yes you can take the trophies with you if they are well preparedand a broker made your papers .

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
13 months from the hunt and still no shipment on the way. The excuse is always "the government is slow".

Is it really THAT slow?

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It is safe to say that I plan hunts with the idea that I will never see the animal again.

I have had problems a couple of times, sometimes you can do a better job setting things up on the front end.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
It cost us a little over $3k for 8 animals from Argentina.....pretty much on par with African shipments. Watch for scams though. On two occasions we had other brokers tell us they were taking over the shipment when they really weren't. Of course they wanted money. I suspect the taxidermist gave them our information.

I had that happen to me in Namibia. I couldn't tell you up from down, and who ended up with what at the end. I just know it wasn't me.

I know hunt for experiences, meat and trophies are a lot more interesting to bring home. Sometimes you get screwed and sometimes you don't.

A friend of mine in Australia used to say he never saw a coffin with a strong box.

I'd put it this way, taxidermy and trophies are nice, but I don't think I'll have room for it in my coffin.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
Is there anything to keep you from bringing your trophys with you? (If you have time to prep them)
I see people bringing there Ibex trophys from Asia with them on the return trip. I brought my mtn. goat back with me from Canada.

My friend who guides in Argentina brings his back with him on the plan as checked baggage. Obviously prepped and papered correctly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now I here this makes my put a trip to Argentina on the back of the list

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Santiago. Came home with great memories and pictures. Have always shipped trophies home but decided not to from Argentina.
Roland at Trophy Shot Prints took my pictures and made them art. Feeling great about the decision.

Ski+3

Posts: 851 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
It's pretty darn expensive. The shipping quote I got for my buffalo skull was nearly $1,000.00 and the actual shipping cost portion was only about $170.00...... Not cheap.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen ,i sent trpohies 2 months agao everything worked perfectly ,i sent 4 trophis in a package to USA for 1300us .I used Federico Testa broker .The cost is for package you can send several trophies in your package .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Juan asked me to post a photo of my buffalo, so here it is. Also a link to the online version of the article for anyone interested. Sorry for the thread hijacking!

http://www.americanhunter.org/...uth-american-safari/

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir . tu2Currently on buffalo safari on herseback for several days .

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA