Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina May 16-June 14
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted
I'll be down Argentina way for that period working and hunting with Miles & Miles. If any hunters or outfitters want to meet up, let me know. We're just outside of Totoral.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your trip!!

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I'll be down Argentina way for that period working and hunting with Miles & Miles. If any hunters or outfitters want to meet up, let me know. We're just outside of Totoral.

Not sure I understand your post. Can you clarify.

During my LONG career I lived in Venezuela for 3 years back MANY years ago. Hunted the Paraguana Peninsula for quail. Absolutely phenomenal. Superabundance. Very remote, no inhabitants for miles.

Deer were small and scarce, Not trophy's worthy of consideration. Jaguars were spotty and very elusive.

In Peru the so called outfitters were flaky charlatans luring in dupes and housing them in locals villagers accommodations fit for a pig. And game was a joke.

In Argentina some so called outfitters lured in Gringos with promised of bird shooting that turned out to be essentially a sad case of BS delusion. Largely phony baloney.

I'll be happy to hear about some truly successful hunts there.

In the meantime I will say that after travelling expensively in 32 Latino Countries, that is the last place on earth that I would spend money for a hunt.

At the same time I want to amplify that the food in Argentina and many other Latino Countries is absolutely Par excellence.
During my years travelling I gained many friends and I truly rank them as some of the finest people, kind, polite considerate.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetibbe:
quote:

During my LONG career I lived in Venezuela for 3 years back MANY years ago. Hunted the Paraguana Peninsula for quail. Absolutely phenomenal. Superabundance. Very remote, no inhabitants for miles.

Deer were small and scarce, Not trophy's worthy of consideration. Jaguars were spotty and very elusive.

In Peru the so called outfitters were flaky charlatans luring in dupes and housing them in locals villagers accommodations fit for a pig. And game was a joke.

In Argentina some so called outfitters lured in Gringos with promised of bird shooting that turned out to be essentially a sad case of BS delusion. Largely phony baloney.

In the meantime I will say that after travelling expensively in 32 Latino Countries, that is the last place on earth that I would spend money for a hunt.

At the same time I want to amplify that the food in Argentina and many other Latino Countries is absolutely Par excellence.
During my years travelling I gained many friends and I truly rank them as some of the finest people, kind, polite considerate.

To clarify, I down here as an escape for a month. I have been with Miles & Miles five times prior. It's not a scam outfit. Their record for one day is 13,013, but I'm not that mad at the birds, nor do I want to pay the shell bill.

I posted simply to see if anyone cared to meet up in town for a coffee or drink.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetibbe:
quote:

I have been about 15 times. NEVER had a bad hunt. Always stayed in great places with great food and great hunting . We have experienced bad weather from time to time. We have experienced lost bags from time to time. Both are beyond the outfitters control. That impart of hunting.

How good is it? I shot 902 ducks in 6 days. In February,I shot 3015dovesin a day. Could have shot twice that number

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Larry, we've had multiple groups down in the past two or so weeks I've been here. We had a guy get 2,500 birds today. I didn't see it, because I was scouting pigeon fields for some Brits coming in soon.

I was shocked to see boards of 7-13K birds a day up in the lodge. The fellows on those boards are 62 and 64 year old brothers and made those boards in consecutive days.

A field we hunted a few days ago was the craziest I've seen in all my trips (five) combined. As I'm sure you know, the constant flocks actually make it harder.

I've shot some, but I'm not too mad at the birds.

The 13,013 in a day was a young, fit kid who had prepared to take the misery.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is amazing. We hunt not far from Totoral. Unless one has seen it, it is hard to describe .

3015 is the most I have shot in one day. That is a hell of a lot of shooting . I see no reason to shoot more . It is physically punishing . My right hand gets the worst of it.

Surely here are some days better than others. The year it snowed, the heavy snow days were a disaster. I shot about 200-250 each shoot. That is awful by their standards.

We head back soon to whack ducks.

Posts: 11958 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Larry, you're right about witnessing it in person. Videos just don't do justice. Same goes for the food and service.

I don't know how some people can physically shoot that many. I'd be afraid of the shell bill.

Marcus Cady

DRSS