Find
Notify
Tools

Visiting Peru and Santiago
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted
I am visiting Peru and Santiago in Chile later in the year for several weeks. At the moment no hunting planned or organised.

Any tips for interesting places to visit, and also anything exciting and adventurous things to do?

Have a number of historic sites / Inca places we are visiting and also the Western end of the Amazon in Peru.

If not this trip maybe on a future one.

Thanks.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Son and GF were in Peru, earlier this year, including Machu Pichu. Don't under estimate the effects of the high altitude, lot of people get sick and need time to acclimatize. Hike the Inca trail if you have time. Gather they have some exciting white water rafting as well. History everywhere you turn.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grizzly.

Yes we are leaving some time to acclimatise. Don't think I will get in white water rafting this time, but maybe, if I have time at the right place. Have white water rafter the Zambezi a couple of times so it would be cool in Peru.

Anyone ever hunted in Peru?

John H.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I've transited through Santiago more times than I can remember on the way to Córdoba. I've always wanted to sleep d time there, but haven't yet.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Santiago restaurant, I think it's named "Chocolate Factory". Excellent fish.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 930 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish that I could tell you more info about Santiago. However, it's been over 25 years since I was there. I lived there 2 years. I spent my time living there; not as a tourist. I was able to experience living in several different parts of Santiago.

Wonderful people, interesting culture. As you might imagine, all different economic levels in a 10-20 mile radius- Very poor, to very rich.

Favorite food- Empanadas, Mote con huesillo (spelling), chirimoya fruit and ice cream.

Buy yourself some lapiz lazuli as well (common Chilean gem stone).

Wow, I need to return there! Enjoy your stay!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gentlemen.

John H.

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
https://www.facebook.com/cusco...os/1429308263751437/

Saw this elsewhere. A bear at Machu Pichu.

John H.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Santiago, I like to stay at Hotel Aubrey. The restaurant is Como Agua para Chocolate. It is in walking distance of the hotel. Very nice.

Posts: 58 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 July 2015Reply With Quote