THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Persimmons - What are they good for?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Persimmons - What are they good for?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Earlier in the year I was bragging to friends about a hickory tree I thought I had in my back yard. About a month or so ago the green hickory nuts turned into persimmons. Must be a bona fide miracle I guess. Now they are ripe and starting to drop off the tree. They don't taste great, but they aren't bad. Is there a good use for them in a recipe, or should I leave them for the squirrels?

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
If you do not want to make persimmon bread (they are at their best after a frost hits them) then set up your archery stand nearby.

A deer magnet.

The ripe ones that drop seldom see a second day on the ground.

Ripe ones are beginning to drop off of my trees here in middle Tennessee.

Lots of seeds, and a little pulp, but they are good eating.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Years ago when I lived in Calif. they used to make preserves and put lots of English walnut pieces and cinnamon in it. Delicious on hot biscuits.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If these are American persimmons, then I'm somewhat surprised they are even edible at this point. Typically they are quite astringent until the first frosts.

Frankly, IMO, you'd have to be pretty interested in persimmon cooking to use Am. persimmons. They are fairly small, and full of large seeds and reasonably tough skin which make them less than ideal for cooking IMO. However, if you want to try them, there are numerous recipes on allrecipe.com and others.

OTOH, japanese (Asian) persimmons are both excellent eating and large enough to work with for cooking uses.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they are American persimmons. Some of the first I tasted were very astringent; as in permanently deform your mouth. The past week those that have dropped are mild. They have five flat seeds in each. I'm told the seeds can predict the upcoming winter (Farmer's Almanac).

The only thing I've used them for so far is on my breakfast cereal. They work in that environment.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only had them once and they were quite edible .Don't know what type but they were grown here in NY ,the Hudson Valley !!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Must be a change in the weather coming, or it's just that time of the year. It's raining persimmons out back today. (We had no persimmons last year.)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are my favorite fruit. You have to pick them when they are completely ripe and soft all the way through. Otherwise they will dry your mouth and feel like sand paper. You can pick them a little early and place them indoors as they ripen and soften they will become sweet with a pudding like texture. They will make excellent jam or with sweet pastry. Use them as any other fruit.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
We just made a persimmon bread pudding last week that was pretty good, I'd suggest looking up a recipe for that.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm having a Hell of a time getting the seeds out of these things. I'm thinking about just popping them in my mouth, and spitting seeds as I come to them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't help you with American or Asian persimmons.

My girls and I were at our lease in the TX hill country a few weeks ago. They picked a 5 gallon pail of the wild Mexican persimmons. It's been a bumper crop this year with all the rain.

The girls made jam with them and it's delicious. It was a simple recipe we found on the internet. You need to double the pectin that's required as it seems it's difficult to get a good gel with Mexican persimmons.

Posts: 470 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Learn something new everyday....I didn't even know there was a Mexican persimmon (Diospyros texana).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother mentioned persimmon bread to me. I found a couple of recipes for my wife; also one for persimmon bread pudding. We'll see what happens.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/persimmon-bread-i/

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/persimmon-bread-ii/

http://kitchenetteblog.com/201...immon-bread-pudding/

Surprisingly, my brother said they had a florist from Houston buy persimmon branches from them once. The branches had lost their leaves but still held the fruit. He said they turned him down the next year because it was too much work for the money they made doing it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think deer like them.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
I think deer like them.

You better believe deer like the Mexican persimmons. Look at the deer droppings in late summer and they'll be full of the reddish triangular seeds. Same with pig and coon droppings.

Posts: 470 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make great jelly, when ripe. When not ripe they are good to feed your enemy, but probably violate the Geneva Convention.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9401 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After hearing all the great endorsements, I'll stick with "I think deer like them."

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Coons like them too,that is the seeds that you find in coon scat. It will make a so-so jam if you use the cheesecloth method but still not Smuckers by any means. On the other hand about 30-40 years ago I was invited to supper by an old black couple that had roast possum W/ persimmon sauce gravy. Actually it was quite good. Other than that I have found that my boys when they were young found those berries the perfect projectiles to rain upon ones brother.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Would someone post a picture of the "Mexican Persimmon"?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC,

sounds good and I'm sure it was. Persimmons with all those little seeds and the small amount of fruit around them are just too much of a pain.

Kind of like a Monkey Orange, but those seem woth the trouble.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
Would someone post a picture of the "Mexican Persimmon"?

Google Images has a bunch of pics. The fruit is blackish rather than orange.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
They are my favorite fruit. You have to pick them when they are completely ripe and soft all the way through. Otherwise they will dry your mouth and feel like sand paper. You can pick them a little early and place them indoors as they ripen and soften they will become sweet with a pudding like texture. They will make excellent jam or with sweet pastry. Use them as any other fruit.

+1 to that. Properly ripened persimmons are nature's gift to us.Asian persimmons are absolutely juicy and full of nectar!

Best-
Loclsley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 780 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been picking good ones up after they drop, and washing them, then just popping them in my mouth, and spit the seeds. haven't died yet. I found a couple of "good" recipes that I gave my wife. She ignored them, so I don't think I'm going to get to report on any other option.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

same as monkey oranges except you wash them.