Find
Notify
Tools

Yo, Southerners! Greens?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm not a big fan of leafy vegetables, but know I would be healthier if I ate more of the darned things. Please school a Westerner on proper selection and preparation of greens -- collards, beet greens and such.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the ones that require special handling [speaking of health ] like poke weed !

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mete, I had to look it up to find out that only the young leaves and stems are edible, after repeated boilings to reduce the toxicity. Poor old Poke Salit Annie had a lot of processing to do!

– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
and she had to do it because a gator got her granny rotflmo you rarely see beet greens in the south. it's generally collard and turnip greens, boiled with bacon or fat back for seasoning. poke salad greens are mainly found in Louisana and Miss.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Collard, turnip or mustard greens. Soak them in the sink to remove (as much grit as possible). In a large pot add bacon, a garlic pod and water. Boil til tender. Do NOT add salt (while cooking). Season w/ salt to taste only after fully cooked (per serving).
Make some (real) cornbread and enjoy.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love greens. The best I ever had was in an East Texas prison, cooked by the inmates. I was having lunch with the Warden, who my "court appointed" client was suing. The warden regularly ate lunch in the regular lunch line. Lunch was good; my court-appointed client, not so much.

What everyone said, you can eat them raw ('cept the poisinous kinds, boil 'em, sautee 'em, etc.) If you boil or sautee them, I like to add a bit of vinegar after cooking; pepper of course.

You can also sautee in bacon grease and use as an addition to a salad or with a meat dish, but that's not exactly traditional.

Feel free to disagree. Of couse the key is the salt pork or bacon.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Does it take but a few minutes of boiling to make the greens tender? Seems like they would turn into a soggy mess (thinking canned spinach) right quick.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Using a mixture of collards and turnip greens, soak or rinse thoroughly to remove grit. Stack the leaves and split down the center along the stem line, then coarsely chop. Slowly render 4-5 slices of bacon or a chunk of salt pork. Add greens, one can of chopped tomatoes and one large sliced onion. Add several dashes of Louisiana hot sauce and cover with chicken stock or water. Simmer slowly for an hour or two. The greens will not become tender immediately, so a slow simmer is best. Serve with cornbread.

Posts: 1045 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
bacon/salt pork are the key and cornbread is a must!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
David W and jdollar know their greens. Onions of course. But I have a couple of issues. You can use fresh tomates instead of canned, just need to cook a little longer. Canned are probably best.

If you use salt pork (or bacon) brown it first in a skillet and use the grease.

Tobasco is good, but not enough vinegar in my opinion.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks, gentlemen. I promise I have the cornbread properly covered.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
had an aunt that could cook anything I brought over... squirrels, rabbits... fish... she had the stainless "waterless cookware".... she'd take salt pork, slice it thin, then fry it crisp... then toss in chopped up greens... turnip, collards, spinach, cabbage....just a tiny bit of water.... she'd put the lid back on and in a few minutes it was ready.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It is good + good for you as well.I recommend a bit of pepper sauce to make it perfect.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
most people outside the south don't know what pepper sauce is and assume it is something like tobasco. at least in the deep south it is small mildly hot peppers put in a bottle, covered with vinegar, a bit of dill, and allowed to age a few months. then you use it as a seasoning during cooking( moderation) or shake it on the greens( as well as other green vegetables) at the table. most small restaurants in the deep south will have a bottle of pepper sauce on the table.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Jerry, thanks for the clue on pepper sauce. I, too, thought it would be something like Tabasco. Can you give me a brand to look for in a true pepper sauce that I might find here on the left coast?

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
the only pepper sauce i have ever seen was homemade in unlabeled bottles, even in small restaurants. it's easy to make, too. great on greens, peas, butter beans, green beans, squash- just about any vegetable for seasoning.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Jerry, thanks for the clue on pepper sauce. I, too, thought it would be something like Tabasco. Can you give me a brand to look for in a true pepper sauce that I might find here on the left coast?

Very common in mom and pop type restaurants in the South. However, that said, I can't recall a brand name. I'll get one for you.

A quick look on net finds "Louisiana" as one brand, Trappey's is another, same companies that makes several hot sauces, similar to Tabasco, but generally cheaper and not as hot. Best use is on raw oysters.

BUT it is so easy to make, as mentioned above, just get some small peppers, the hotter the better, and add vinegar and spices.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gato, I'm pretty sure we have various "Louisiana" sauces here, and I think I have seen Trappey's too. Would jalapenos be hot enough for home-made?
I'm pretty fond of this stuff, made here in Oregon:

http://www.secretaardvark.com/

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
jalapeños would be fine if you like a hotter pepper sauce but usually a milder pepper( the small, skinny ones, don't know the name) is used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Gato, I'm pretty sure we have various "Louisiana" sauces here, and I think I have seen Trappey's too. Would jalapenos be hot enough for home-made?
I'm pretty fond of this stuff, made here in Oregon:

http://www.secretaardvark.com/

Well, maybe, if you like a mild sauce. I'd try to find some hot ones. Jalapenos have more variation than any other peppers I know in their capsaicin (how hot, more=hotter)counts.

The peppers usually used are tabasco type and are fairly hot BUT, remember, it is diluted quite a bit in the amount of vinegar.

If you can find some hot serranos, very common around here in stores, they would work IMO. Thai (quite hot) would work too.

That Aardvark sauce looks really interesting. I may have to order some.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want hot for the sake of hot, I'd recommend chile pechins. These grow wild in South Texas. They are small, smaller than an aspirin tablet.

We used to crush them and rub them into someones eyes if we didn't like them. Old school pepper spray and before they came down on bullying. It was a great self-defense tool as well.

Two or three will season an entire pot of beans.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That brings back the good-old days.

We used to play in the chili fields in Las Cruces, New Mexico. Don't know what type pepper they were, but the first guy to throw one started a ten-way melee that didn't end until someone was crying, usually one of the smaller guys that took too many incoming.

I remember one kid that I guess we ganged-up on. His mother had him in the bathtub with ice a short while later. He reddened-up real fast, and took a quick trip to the hospital emergency room. All part of growing up. I guess he was allergic to being hit with peppers.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Life's a bitch.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great stories guys. No peppers to speak of in the Pacific Northwest when I was a grasshopper. Now, I can tell you about strawberry fights ....

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great thread, very educational for someone who lives on the other side of the planet. Big Grin

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John,

I'd be glad to give you a tutorial on peppers. No need to grind them into your eyes to make the point.

Purely cooking, don't ya' know.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who like pepper but not hot you can make a nice sweetpepper relish.Just finely chopped sweetpepper ,small amount of finely chopped onion ,salt. Quickly Bring to a boil so it keeps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
For those who like pepper but not hot you can make a nice sweetpepper relish.Just finely chopped sweetpepper ,small amount of finely chopped onion ,salt. Quickly Bring to a boil so it keeps.

Peppers are like women, if they're not hot, they ain't worth fooling with......

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like young first of the year dandelion greens cooked as described above. Add a drop of vinegar. Very astringent. Same goes for endive. Or just fry them in bacon grease.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or just fry them in bacon grease.

Well that's a backup plan to everything! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a southerner, but love greens.
I prefer collards, but they take a lot of cooking to make them tender. Maybe not traditional but I brown a ham hock in the pot before adding the collards. Trim the big veins out, chop, add onion and a little water. Cover and cook til really tender.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a bit annoying that we can't tell where folks are from.

On this thread especially. JMHO