Find
Notify
Tools

Apple Pecan Bundt Cake
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
This is my favorite + most requested cake. It is even better after 3 days as the apple flavors blend but it never seems to make it 3 days Smiler Here we go:
3C flour
2C sugar
3t cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2t. salt
1 cup oil ( I use canola)
3 eggs
2t. vanilla
3 chopped unpeeled red delicious apples
2c. chopped pecans
Mix all ingredients + the batter will ne thick. Have a teapot going while all this prep is going on because you will want to add 1/2 c. of boiling water to the mix before putting it in the (Need I say WELL GREASED bundt pan?)Bake at 325 deg. for 1 hour 20 minutes. I dare you not to steal some of it off the upper crust (that no one will see anyway). Let it cool before removing it from the bundt pan. Again, Pam or any other release agent is imperative to success. You will be baking this cake in the future for more than just Christmas; it is that good!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much!!! tu2 tu2

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
Sounds great - how small do you chop the apples into? 1/4" squares or so?

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Correct. Quarter the apples, remove the seeds, then chop into 1/4" or approximate size. Remember to leave on the peel. I have tried using the Honeycrisp thinking that it might improve the taste but the red delicious still seems to have the best taste IMO + everyone who has tasted it. Not to mention the smell of the cinnamon in the kitchen when you are baking ranks right up there with fresh baked bread. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious.
Have to go to the store today or tomorrow and so pecans and Red Delicious apples will be added to the list.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I will try this very soon, Randy. No longer own a Bundt pan so need to get one. Baking a Key lime pie for Thanksgiving.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, by all means, get yourself a new Teflon lined bundt, + still grease it well. Once you try this recipe I guarantee you will be baking it again!

one of us
Picture of erict
posted Hide Post
I will be baking this again!

Went out and bought a bundt cake pan and followed the simple recipe with simple ingredients (which I like). It came out great. It is very dense and almost like an apple/pecan version of banana bread.

I am also curious if it would work by partially filling rectangular bread pans, cake tins or even cupcake tins, as there may be more opportunity to get additional tasty "crunchy" surfaces that way. I'll be trying it soon!

Thanks for the recipe!

"Listen more than you speak, and you will hear more stupid things than you say."

Posts: 705 | Location: near Albany, NY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you liked it. I have only tried it in a bundt pan as I tend to adhere to the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" but experimenting is always good. It might work just fine in a square cake pan but I don't think the slices coming off would look as appealing. The cupcake tins sound interesting + would make good Christmas gifts for a minimal layout.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
NM,

Not that it probably matters, but what is the T?

Tablespoon or Teaspoon?

Anything with 3 spoons of Cinnamon and 2 spoons of vanilla ought to be good.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
T stands for tablespoon. t stands for teaspoon.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Let me preface this by saying I understg and when folks say, I made your recipe, but I changed a few things.

WELL, I made your recipe, but being too lazy and cheap to go to town for a Bundt pan I used 2 5X9 loaf pans.
I knew I was in for a treat when I tasted the batter . . . yes I put less than all of it in the baking pans so I could eat some of the batter.

The cake in loaf pans were done in 1:00 hr and 1:10 hr/min, even though they had equal amounts of batter. So much for a convection oven being even cooking.

Sampled as soon as it cooled down enough that I could get a bite in my mouth and that told me
.. .. .. You have a winner recipe.

Thanx!
LB

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the compliment. I have yet to find anyone who doesn't love this recipe. And as I said, it gets better about the 3rd day as the apple flavor spreads, but it hardly ever makes it 3 days. Wink

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bundt pan due here on Dec. 21 via Amazon ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Pan arrived today. Here we go! Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, your batter looks just right. Let us know what you think. I'm going to post another recipe this evening that I think all will enjoy. Banana Nut Bread.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, it came out great. I used plenty of butter on the pan, so it fell right out onto the cooling rack. I can tell this one will get better with each passing hour.
Thanks for the recipe, buddy!

beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoy, Amigo! Smiler

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Love a good bundt...