New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need halibut recipe
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a simple baked halibut recipe.

Who has a good one?

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to blow my own horn, but see "oven finished Panko trout" below. It should be perfect for halibut and is really good.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe not a recipe, but this is the simple way my wife does white fish in the oven.

Preheat oven to 400/410F

Pat dry 2 halibut fillet. Season with salt and pepper, the juice of 1 large lime, 2 Tablespoon of olive oil (not extra virgin) and a bunch of chopped cilantro. You can also add some garlic.

In an oven-proof baking dish, cover dish bottom with foil (for easier cleaning later). Add half of an onion, cut in slices (sweet yellow or red) to cover the bottom of the pan, making a "bed" for the fish. Place the fish on top of the onions (skin up) and bake for 19-20 minutes.

Rest for a couple of minutes and serve.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
This is very simple and doesn't make a mess. I use it for cooking any fish slabs or fillets. I have used it on salmon, cod, halibut, snapper, and even trout.

• Preheat oven to 350°
  • Pat fillets dry with paper towels
  • Place fillets on foil on baking sheet or in baking pan. I use the pan that came with the oven.
  • Spray fillets with olive oil cooking spray
  • Sprinkle with Larry's Seasoned Salt. I use the 'Mediterranean Herb' mixture but they offer others.
  • Turn fillets over and repeat olive oil spray and sprinkle with seasoned salt on the second side.
  • Place in oven for 12 minutes then turn fillets over and cook an additional 12 minutes.

The above time works for 1" thick fillets that are fully thawed. Add 5 minutes per side for frozen. You will need to adjust cooking time based on thickness. The objective is to cook thru without over-cooking. The olive oil helps bring out the flavor of the seasoning and keeps the fillets from drying out.

•  
    Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Halibut enchiladas are one of my favorites. Sauté some onions, throw in a can of green chilies and cubed up halibut. Roll it up in a corn tortilla dipped in green enchilada sauce, sprinkle some cheese over them and bake for about forty minutes. Tastes lick chickenSmiler

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Snellstrom
    posted Hide Post
    I know you asked for baked but instead I have a simple pan fried method fast and simple.
    slice Halibut into 1/2" thick or less slabs, dip in milk, then salt and pepper then drop into a baggy of crushed crackers (ritz or club crackers) drop into hot pan with the bottom covered in oil. Cook about 5 min per side or until golden brown.
    Do not over cook.
    Leftovers can be used for fish tacos next day.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Best halibut I've made was always simply seasoned, grilled over charcoal or gas grill, and served with melted butter....simpler the better, and I've had it a few other ways.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
    Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Plan to make this one once I can arrange a second mortgage to finance the three pounds of halibut. Credit goes to "Followthescience," a poster on Ifish.net.

So the recipe that follows is not mine (I'm sure some of you have had this), and when I first heard about it, my reaction was one of horror--until I tried it. It still sounds/is crazy, but if you make it, you will be a convert. Halibut Olympia features big chunks of halibut over a cracker crumb and butter crust; topped by a goopy mixture of sour cream, mayo, and grated cheddar; topped by more cracker crumb crust.

I have played around with this recipe, but the best results come for those who stick to the white-trash roots. Sauteed onions, garlic, etc. did nothing but take away from the deliciousness, nor did the use of Gruyere nor other cheeses nor ingredients. But don't go too trashy either and use Velveeta or Miracle Whip. Seriously, try this recipe as is.

3 lbs halibut, cut into approx. 1" chunks
    2 sleeves Ritz
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cups cheddar, grated
    1.5 cups sour cream (I use light Tillamook or Daisy)
    1.5 cups mayo (I use Best Foods Light and it turns out great)
    salt and pepper to taste

Crush the crackers in a food processor or in another manner and evenly incorporate the 1/4 cup melted butter. Take 1/2 of the crumbs and butter mix and press down to form a crust in the bottom of a 9X11 pan. Cut the halibut into cubes, and evenly arrange atop the crust.

In a separate bowl, mix together the evil ingredients: cheese, mayo, and sour cream. Perhaps add salt and pepper lightly although this can be accomplished at the table. GENTLE on the salt so as not to spoil the sweet, creamy goodness. Spread the evil mixture evenly atop the fish chunks, like you're frosting a cake. Sprinkle the reserved cracker-butter mixture on top. Bake for 40 minutes at 350.

Serve with rice. We serve it on top of jasmine rice, but calrose and basmati are good too. We use sriracha, tabasco, or various Mexican hot sauces in limited amounts at the table, but this is NOT necessary.

This dish is addictive and should only be made occasionally. Pretty much consider yourself a Halibut Olympia-aholic waiting to happen. Don't chase the dragon too far.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Not to hijack this thread, but Bill, I have some ling cod left over from a trip to AK last summer. It is all vacuum packed, but I should have used it all up by now.

Regardless, I suspect this would be incredible using ling cod as well a halibut.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    Picture of Bill/Oregon
    posted Hide Post
    Scot, this ought to be the bomb with ling cod, too.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
    – John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Halibut is delicious any way it is cooked. Nothing special required for a great meal.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
    BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Doubless, the best way to store fish is to put it in a container, like a milk carton ,putin and fill with water, and freeze. We could not taste any difference side by side one year later !

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by mete:
    Doubless, the best way to store fish is to put it in a container, like a milk carton ,putin and fill with water, and freeze. We could not taste any difference side by side one year later !

I agree totally, and I fish a fair amount. That is the way I put up fish when we are smiled on: in a Ziploc, water fully covering the fillets, and all the air squeezed out.

Unfortunately, I am a Texan and shipping fish back from AK with it all frozen that way would have been prohibitively expensive due to the weight. All the charter places up there vacuum pack. It is not as good as the method you (and I) use ourselves, but typically fish should be eaten within a year, regardless of HOW it was freezer prepped.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
    Plan to make this one once I can arrange a second mortgage to finance the three pounds of halibut. Credit goes to "Followthescience," a poster on Ifish.net.

So the recipe that follows is not mine (I'm sure some of you have had this), and when I first heard about it, my reaction was one of horror--until I tried it. It still sounds/is crazy, but if you make it, you will be a convert. Halibut Olympia features big chunks of halibut over a cracker crumb and butter crust; topped by a goopy mixture of sour cream, mayo, and grated cheddar; topped by more cracker crumb crust.

I have played around with this recipe, but the best results come for those who stick to the white-trash roots. Sauteed onions, garlic, etc. did nothing but take away from the deliciousness, nor did the use of Gruyere nor other cheeses nor ingredients. But don't go too trashy either and use Velveeta or Miracle Whip. Seriously, try this recipe as is.

3 lbs halibut, cut into approx. 1" chunks
    2 sleeves Ritz
    1/4 cup butter
    2 cups cheddar, grated
    1.5 cups sour cream (I use light Tillamook or Daisy)
    1.5 cups mayo (I use Best Foods Light and it turns out great)
    salt and pepper to taste

Crush the crackers in a food processor or in another manner and evenly incorporate the 1/4 cup melted butter. Take 1/2 of the crumbs and butter mix and press down to form a crust in the bottom of a 9X11 pan. Cut the halibut into cubes, and evenly arrange atop the crust.

In a separate bowl, mix together the evil ingredients: cheese, mayo, and sour cream. Perhaps add salt and pepper lightly although this can be accomplished at the table. GENTLE on the salt so as not to spoil the sweet, creamy goodness. Spread the evil mixture evenly atop the fish chunks, like you're frosting a cake. Sprinkle the reserved cracker-butter mixture on top. Bake for 40 minutes at 350.

Serve with rice. We serve it on top of jasmine rice, but calrose and basmati are good too. We use sriracha, tabasco, or various Mexican hot sauces in limited amounts at the table, but this is NOT necessary.

This dish is addictive and should only be made occasionally. Pretty much consider yourself a Halibut Olympia-aholic waiting to happen. Don't chase the dragon too far.

Wow!!!! My wife, on my wise urging, made this for us tonight using our local pond bass. She cooked it a fraction longer to be sure we killed parasites. REALLY SUPERIOR!!! Many thanks for the recipe. My heirs will also thank you when my clogged arteries surrender. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
    When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I'm kind of sorry I did this, but I spent a few minutes figuring the calories in this great tasting dish....about 5200, using regular ingredients (not light or diet) and NOT counting the fish, which, if halibut would be another 2500 or so.

I am thrilled to know that by using my largemouth bass, I saved 500 calories out of 7700. And you can save about 1500 cal by using light mayo, as mentioned. So, that gets it down to just over 5000 calories that can feed quite a few people. We won't mention the "over rice". Wink

But it is GOOD!!!

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Buy some powdered Ranch dressing. Sprinkle each piece liberally and bake until done.

Halibut doesn't has much flavor and tends to pick up the flavors of the ingredients it is cooked with.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Use Enough Gun
    posted Hide Post
    Big Grin

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec...llots-recipe-2124933

The lemon butter makes it! My wife loves this recipe!!! I'm more partial to Giada.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote