Notify
Tools

Lowenzahnwein
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Lowenzahnwein
Germans from Russia - Dandelion Wine

We went out to the mountains today to do some fishing and looking around. It was cloudy and windy, but otherwise it was a good day, and we caught quite a few trout of the smoker.

At one place we stopped, we saw a lot of dandelions in full bloom:

This site reminded me of a Germans from Russia recipe for dandelion wine that I had seen:

I don't know if my grandfather ever made this wine; I don't remember ever seeing it, and I certainly don't remember drinking it. Having said that, it is a favourite of the local Hutterite colonies in this area, so I decided to give it a try and got to picking:

This will be my first wine project with the wine kit that The Beautiful Mrs. Tas got for me for my birthday:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/...fruit-winemaking-kit

We'll see how it goes; I'm expecting it to be good.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me know how it turns out. Didn't somebody write a song about that stuff?

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
Very nice, good luck!

I remember spending hours hunched over picking dandelions with my dad. Was too young to try the wine we made with it (a shame), but I hear it makes a nice dry wine.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
lavaca,

I remember watermelon wine by Tom T. Hall. Don't remember dandelion wine. Sounds good, doesn't it?

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom T.:

"Old dogs, children and watermelon wine"

Great song.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote