Find
Notify
Tools

The Chuck Box
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted
I need to build a new chuck box, grub box, or whatever you want to call it. Looking at various plans and styles online.

There's a couple that double as cookstands/small tables which is a nice concept. Like this one, which I can build a much better version of out of salvaged materials.

Looking for concepts...............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice box. Allot more than I need/want though since most of my camping is usually just me and the potlickers for a few days at a time.
I built this one last year. Works fine so far.
Has a sliding door for utinsils in the lid and the cutting board doubles as a divider on the bottom. Some TP and a couple cans of beans and we're GTG.

With the sliding door closed there's actually enough room for large canned goods to stand upright. There's allot more room in it than it appears yet not so large that it gets to heavy when loaded.
Like I said, "so far so good".

Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Posts: 91 | Location: Idaho, Clearwater County | Registered: 07 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
I built this one last year.

Nice workmanship. The one I need to build is going to have to serve as a cooking table as well since there are no picnic tables or real campsites.

Make it so my propane stove slides in with compartments for cookware, seasonings, utensils, stainless wash basin, etc.

I can make the brackets for the legs a lot sturdier and make the legs out of scrap stainless tubing that breaks into two pieces and they'd fit in the box too.

Maybe gelcoat it since I can get leftovers at a boatyard.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out some of the boy scout sites, many options.