Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Will try these and report!
Saeed, you can't have any.

hilbily

https://iamnm.com/bacon-wrappe...7W9GTR8RG57DIy61sxL8

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Bill, that sounds really good! When you're south of the border + you order chili, you don't get a bowl of chili, you get a chili pepper. Several years ago there was an interview on NPR about this N.Y. city deli owner that had come up with a recipe for matza balls deep fried in bacon grease. It started out as a joke but really took off. Seems only the goyim were offended.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, the local Lowe's market is offering 25-pound boxes of fresh Hatch chiles for $19.25 this morning -- with free roasting. The season has begun!

dancing

– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HEB should have theirs soon also. It is that time. You could have one great cookout with 25 lbs.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of boxes of Hatch Chilis (Hot) from Hatch. The are rosted, peeled, and frozen..We eat more chili than most..A bowl of red chile con Carne is a recipe of beans, meat and spices...Chili in Mexico and South of the border is a pepper or Peco de Gallo (peck of the rooster) and is a mixture of chopped up onions, garlic, green pepper (usually Jalepenos), Cilantro, Oregano, salt and pepper and spices to suit and the recipe can vari as to geographics, as salsa or simply Chili....Translations vari also depending on geographics, gets complicated in translation also..My family is a group of chili heads, we eat chili in our diet on a daily bases, even the grand babies.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love my Pico too. It goes on everything from enchiladas to breakfast eggs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you're breaking my heart. I long for New Mexico, green chili, and bacon.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, how far a drive is it?
By the way, recent thunderstorms in Doña Anna County have delayed the picking in Hatch. The market hoped to have some peppers by today ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, might be a fun road trip but HEB is closer. Ours here has just started out with the Hatch Peppers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, when are you planning on doing your batch? I need to wait until there are enough folks here to enjoy them. Keep us posted; they really sound great. That reminds me of a joke somehow + I'll go over to the humor forum + post.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ken, might be a fun road trip but HEB is closer. Ours here has just started out with the Hatch Peppers.

where?? i go to the one on parmer and mopac.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Bill, when are you planning on doing your batch? I need to wait until there are enough folks here to enjoy them. Keep us posted; they really sound great. That reminds me of a joke somehow + I'll go over to the humor forum + post.

yea, i don't think u can "peel ur chile" on this forum.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, and South Texas is one of the only grocery stores that sells cabrito, (goat meat). I miss that in Idaho, I think were the only clan that eats goat or Cabrito in Idaho..

My favorites: small squares of goat deep fried in cornmeal..My recipe, came about at a fish fry at the ranch, and the local cowhands ate all the fish, drank all the beer and wanted more, so we killed a couple of goats, cubed them up and fried them like catfish..Became a favorite and salvation of the local catfish..

Half a goat lengthwise and rub the halves with oil, salt and pepper, lay on a grid, rib cage down, over mesquite coals turn to white ash on top until done..Serve with pico de gallo or your favorite brand of salsa (chili in Texas), hot flour tortillas, and condiments of choice, also works good with Texas hill country deer, but not with mule deer that are a bit too strong for this recipe..

The little Texas Hill country whitetail are the most delicate tasting deer in the world, no wild taste at all and not strong..My family and friends cull a lot of does every year, Llano Texas is the deer capitol of the world, and over abundant..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41759 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used to be common here to see the Mexicans selling goats for sale on the side of the road "Se Venden Cabras". Cabrito is damn good eating especially after slow-cooked in a pit.+ you're right Ray, tortillas HAVE to be involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Norman left out is the goats were on ropes grazing on the roadside grass. You bought a live goat. Haven't seen that in a while, but love cabrito.

The last good goat I had was in a cafe right on the Indian Ocean in Dar es Salaam,but I still like the South Texas method better.

My wife made her first trip to Africa in 2017 and they had goats in camp that she thought were "cute". Told her not to get attached to them. They were leopard bait.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I was given a surprise 60th birthday party in the Zambezi Valley while hunting there a few years back. Table was set with fine linens and china up on a hill overlooking the Zambezi River and all. All the camp staff dressed up and taking part, as well as the PHs and my hunting partner. Appetizers and starters were all excellent, and I was looking forward to the main course.. Then they brought forth the main course: ROASTED GOAT. Holy shizz! Was this a joke or what?! With all of the excellent game that we had taken that week, they decided to roast a F--king goat! thumbdown I enjoyed the view after that, but that was about it. They did finally serve a decent dessert. Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love kid goat that's been on milk, or just weaned, same with lamb, I love lamb chops, over coals..or whatever..Old goats not so much!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I once had an old billy that was good. My friend Terry brought up this old billy + we strung him up alive by his hind legs, slit his throat, gutted him + IMMEDIATELY filled the body cavity with ice. After we butchered him out into tenders it was one of the most tender, breaded treats I ave ever ate. The ice had to be the trick.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good idea, but those big old billys sure do stink, must have been the ice..

Same with lamb,I love lamb, but not mutton..none of my family will eat lamb, its just in their head, meats meat..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120