THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Our best Delmonico steaks so far. 9.5 of 10.

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Our best Delmonico steaks so far. 9.5 of 10.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Save the strained oil from fries or fried chicken for pan fried Delmonico. This oil was used and strained 6 times, lots of flavor. Might be good for tenderloin steaks as well.
This is how I made one twelve ounce steak.

Step 1. Take the time to find some 3/4 inch thick Delmonico steaks with a very narrow center fat line and at least 15 to 20% of speckled fat running through the muscle.
2. Let them sit out for 3 hours (in the bag or package) to come up to room temperature.

3. Trim the fatty ends if you like.
Turn the burner on high to heat up a thin non-stick aluminum pan that will have at least a half inch clearance in between the steaks. If it smokes take it off while you dust the steaks. Dust both sides with a mix of Hungarian Paprika, fine sea salt, a little shake of celery salt, a good bit of coarse black pepper and granulated garlic and onion powder. Press the seasoning into the meat.

4. Immediately, fry in at least a half cup of used frying oil until the side is brown. Flip it over, fry until brown and check the temp with a probe. We take them out at 135 to 140F. Center is going to be reddish, barely warm.

5. Now pour off most of the oil. Add some chopped green chilies and a half cup of homemade beef stock and stir. When it starts to boil, pour in a quarter cup of half and half cream and stir. Reduce a bit and check it off the heat to see if it is how you like it. Add a pat or two of butter and stir. No need to season the sauce. Pour it over the steaks.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Save the strained oil from fries or fried chicken for pan fried Delmonico. This oil was used and strained 6 times, lots of flavor. Might be good for tenderloin steaks as well.
This is how I made one twelve ounce steak.

Step 1. Take the time to find some 3/4 inch thick Delmonico steaks with a very narrow center fat line and at least 15 to 20% of speckled fat running through the muscle.
2. Let them sit out for 3 hours (in the bag or package) to come up to room temperature.

3. Trim the fatty ends if you like.
Turn the burner on high to heat up a thin non-stick aluminum pan that will have at least a half inch clearance in between the steaks. If it smokes take it off while you dust the steaks. Dust both sides with a mix of Hungarian Paprika, fine sea salt, a little shake of celery salt, a good bit of coarse black pepper and granulated garlic and onion powder. Press the seasoning into the meat.

4. Immediately, fry in at least a half cup of used frying oil until the side is brown. Flip it over, fry until brown and check the temp with a probe. We take them out at 135 to 140F. Center is going to be reddish, barely warm.

5. Now pour off most of the oil. Add some chopped green chilies and a half cup of homemade beef stock and stir. When it starts to boil, pour in a quarter cup of half and half cream and stir. Reduce a bit and check it off the heat to see if it is how you like it. Add a pat or two of butter and stir. No need to season the sauce. Pour it over the steaks.

I am going to try this.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Our favorite.

Posts: 5097 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. I bit like Steak Diane

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am so impressed that there are folks out there who keep homemade beef stock on hand ...

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16350 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we've gotten spoiled with the homemade stuff. Too much MSG and so-called 'natural flavor' and/or citric acid in store bought. The last all natural stuff I bought was chicken stock and it was orange. I asked what is the natural chicken flavor exactly. They just said, that ncf is not made from chicken.

It's well worth the effort for us and it's not hard to make. We cut the meat from T-bones and porterhouse steaks then bake the bones at 400 until brown. Throw 'em in a pot with some cut up carrots, celery and onions and a good bit of salt. Simmer for 3 - 5 hours on medium low heat. Strain it and store it in a mason jar or 1 gallon jug in the fridge. The cook at our house eats the strained vegetables as a snack.
Same deal with chicken stock. Carcasses, any bones really.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I am so impressed that there are folks out there who keep homemade beef stock on hand ...

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just like the difference between store bought + home grown tomatoes; ALL of the world,IE,no comparison.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
By the way Mike, you're welcome. Hope you like the steak made this way.

I hear that NC. The exception to that general rule is occasionally one store has ripe heirloom tomatoes and they sell out quickly even at $4 a pound. A farm 10 miles away grows some tasty early girl tomatoes. Those are $3 a quart and they are perfectly ripened. Too many locals pick them before the sugars are developed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
By the way Mike, you're welcome. Hope you like the steak made this way.

I hear that NC. The exception to that general rule is occasionally one store has ripe heirloom tomatoes and they sell out quickly even at $4 a pound. A farm 10 miles away grows some tasty early girl tomatoes. Those are $3 a quart and they are perfectly ripened. Too many locals pick them before the sugars are developed.

I need to find strained used oil. I will try located some and cook some steaks on my firedisc that I need to use.

The last steak I cooked (last weekend) was without any seasoning for my puppy’s 5th birthday.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The dog wouldn't eat it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
The dog wouldn't eat it.

Dave

He is trained not to eat of human plates.

He is very gentle - he ate it but anyone could have taken his food dish from him as he ate his steak.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I hope you find some.

If you like, most stores sell high quality generic shredded potatoes in the frozen section. 3 or 4 batches of those quickly fried in about a quart of most any vegetable oil will get you enough flavored oil for at least a couple dozen or more steaks. I'm hooked on the hash browns for breakfast.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to find strained used oil. I will try located some and cook some steaks on my firedisc that I need to use.

Chinese gutter oil!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Gutter oil! Go figure.