Find
Notify
Tools

Nice take on Mexican chicken
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
This was a wonderful Mexican chicken dish we had last night. Using this marinade recipe on three breasts flattened to about a half inch, we let them soak for about two hours, then I grilled the breasts to about 157-160, pulled them off and put them in a cast iron skillet. On top of these, we spread two poblano peppers cut in strips and sauteed with sweet onion rings until just getting soft and topped with about two cups of shredded Tillamook Monterey Jack. (I couldn't find any of the Queso Chihuahua recommended for this.) This went into a 375-degree oven for 15 minutes. We served it with a marinated cucumber-tomato-sweet onion salad. Keeper!

https://www.cocoandash.com/mexican-chicken-marinade/

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That sounds great Bill. Just as an aside tip; there is very shortly going to be a chicken shortage, I understand as due to the ciovid + the fact that folks are getting paid to sit on their ass that a lot of the poultry producers will not be turning out the regular volume of product. In other words go out + buy a bunch + stick it in your freezer. At the worst/best, nothing will come of it + you will always eat the chicken anyway. Just a heads up.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of a dish I created as a young 20 something…
Charred and sweated poblanos, take off skin and set aside. Pan fried and butterflied chicken breast stuffed with Mexican cheese of choice
Inserted in poblano pepper and baked till cheese melted and add sauce/chile of your liking.
You could go full Chile relleno and whip egg whites till firm peaks and fold in yolks, dip and fry, add sauce and cheese on top and bake.
Basically a chicken stuffed chile relleno. funny how a chicken breast and poblano are the same size and shape to make this work.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HMMM, a divine message here? God + nature designed the similarities eons ago but we have now noticed. Halleluiah for chile relleno! Big Grin

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I like to mix cotija, monterey jack and mozzarella with some hot chiles for the stuffing in the middle of the chicken breast.
I never named the dish…
Chile pollo Relleno sounds lame
Relleno means stuffed
Chichi Chile Relleno sounds better.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if in place of the Queso Chihuahua, would Cacique Oaxaca work. That is a Mexican part skim milk cheese that my wife uses a lot. https://www.caciqueinc.com/ The Cacique brand is readily available in North Texas; not sure about New Mexico.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call it what you will, this sounds like a very delicious meal.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is very shortly going to be a chicken shortage

Not at my place since I raise poultry. I've been doing a info cast on my FB page with the chicks I have growing out right now. One is a commercial cornish cross broiler which is all the chicken meat you find in your supermarket. The way commercial growers raise them makes for a very bland product.

My breed of choice for the farm is the araucana but most offspring get culled for the canner or freezer. This is an egg laying breed and like all egg layers, the meat ratio is significantly different than a commercial cornish cross.

I used to raise a lot of broilers back when there were places to have your chickens butchered. USDA and commercial producers have made that real hard now so there are very few processors out there. I can tell you though, a properly raised home grown broiler makes a wonderful meal.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed! We used to raise a lot of fowl. Free range chickens + Muscovy ducks as well as cage raised quail + pheasant. Those days are past as it was a lot of work for small return. I had good egg layers in the Leghorns but not much meat as a fryer. The quaternixe (sp) quail was pretty good but I don't relly like dark meat. Our main reason for raising the quail + pheasant was to supply a taxidermist friend who used them in those glass tables w/ wildlife scenes that we have seen. When I still was doing my own butchering of the chickens I built some truncated cones (out of metal, naturally) + soldered on a hook. Stuff the chicken head 1st down the cone + only the head + a bit of neck is exposed. The wings are trapped in the cone. Chop off the head + hang the cone by the hook + there is no flapping or meat bruising. They just an there + bleed out. That got old too. Eventually I found this old black woman on a farm out in Hutto, Tx. that would totally process all my birds for 1/2 of the take. It was well worth it for both of us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh Ann, BTW, since everything else seems to be getting more expensive due to 'fearless leader' screwing up the gas prices + thus the trucking industry; how are the prices these days on scratch + laying mash in relation to what they were a year ago? Just interested is all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy,

Feed prices have gone up. The co-op where I buy has risen everything a couple bucks a bag so far. I go through a lot less poultry feed in the warm months as they spend a lot of time on pasture. Chicks eat a lot though.

The bigger problem is soybeans. Not good for people or stock but they are cheap and so they make up the larger percentage of poultry feed. It's also hard to find feed that has animal protein in it. Again, soy has been over utilized and it really is best used as a soil conditioner than as a food source.

I could rant on and on about soy and the effect what eating non fermented soy products do to living things. I'll leave it that not all legumes are suitable to eat. That includes soy. Everyone is welcome to do their own research on this. There is plenty of pro and con to it. I personally do not eat soy or products that contain any kind of soy.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann,
Interesting as I was not aware of any soy issues. I eat oriental rarely but use soy sauce when I do. I NEVER use MSG! Back to the scratch grain; what I have always purchased here is primarily millet seed + accompanying grain seed.+ you are so right, the chicks + all the older chickens are out + giving grief to all the bug + fauna population that moves. (remember you can never beat a chicken at 'the old shell game'.) But in answer to my original question; the price has gone up. Admittedly, everything always goes up but here we know the immediate reason why. Piss poor works that started at the top.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe soy sauce is a fermented product.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe so too. Does that mean you have no problem with its use? On the rare occasion that I eat Chinese,e.g., Soy sauce is almost a given necessity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I honestly have never put it on any of my food. I do eat at Chinese restaurants, well, have not in over a year now.

Soy products are suitable for consumption if fermented so yes, the sauce would be okay.

You only need look at all the chubby soy boy teens and young adults to see the problems that soy has caused. Look at photos of today's youth compared to say the early 70's and you see a huge difference.

Read labels when you buy food. The best food has no additional ingredients. If you bake, like I know you do, you start with simple ingredients and build your product. It is essentially pure compared to a similar item bought in a walmart bakery section.

Because it is cheap, soy is a major product or ingredient in a lot of the food supply. Cheap doesn't always mean it is good.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So true; quite often the reverse.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Raised just outside of El Paso, and some parts of New Mexico, Bill lives in the heaven of the best by far mexican food ever...Land of every chile ever grown, and the heart of the Hatch Chile,

We still keep a pot of pintos on the stove, eat pico de Gallo by the gallon, along with other :"chile",not to be confused with Chile Colorado or eChile con Carne, very differnt substances..

Our choice of bread is the flour tortilla, and of course the corn tortilla for enchalladas and Tacos, chips and other delicacies..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I grew up within spittin' distance of the border. While I like flour tortillas, I like corn better for just about everything. Only exception is quesadillas I suppose.

I had fajitas last night in corn tortillas.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote