New
Find
Notify
Tools

Four-Cheese Smoked Mac-n-Cheese
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a good one. My friend that sent me the Bacon-wrapped Sausage Recipe, brought a double helping of this Mac-n-Cheese dish to our party last Friday. Thank God there were leftovers.

https://www.mrfood.com/Pastas/...-Smoked-Mac-n-Cheese

The one tweak my friend said he did to the recipe was to add finely chopped bacon. I'm addicted to bacon, so when I try this recipe, I am going to include the bacon. I don't know how much he added, but it was clearly visible when you looked at the dish. I'm saying a 1/4 pound of bacon sounds about right for the recipe, but if you threw in a couple extra slices, who's to know.

After my family finished the leftover Mac-n-Cheese it dawned on me that I should have tried to slice it about a 1/2" thick and made Mac-n-Cheese sandwiches out of it.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks good - really good. And the bacon makes it look even better!

Have you cured and smoked your own bacon? If not, I recommend it - very easy, especially using the old methods that produce a superior product. Let me know, if interested.

Ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta say "no" to curing & smoking bacon. I even have to buy bacon behind my wife's back. She considers bacon as junk food.

I'm really bad at DIY projects. I think it's a short attention span. If I can't do something within an hour, it must not be worth doing, is my motto.

Now, I can watch someone else do something for hours, and never get bored, if I have something to drink and a shady place to sit.

Thanks for asking though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, in that case, I'll simply give you something to look at. Eeker tu2

There's not much actual work involved, but it does take time. Very good - dancing

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good lord Tas, you must weigh about 800#. I gain weight just looking at your posts. Everything you post looks incredible. I wish I had your culinary skills, but then I would weigh 800#.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't like to make a big deal about it, but the last couple of years, I've actually lost about 85 pounds - a few more to go, but a good start.

This bacon is actually not "terrible" where weight is concerned. Some maple sugar is used in the curing process, but for the most part, one could eat a generous portion of this without having to worry about gaining weight. Of course, if cholesterol is a problem for someone, then they would have to exercise more "restraint." Thank goodness that is one problem I do not have. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Ken- you have to scroll down a page or two to get to Ron's spectacular post of his own Black Forest Maple Bacon.

If that doesn't make you want to smoke your own, nothing will!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, this is making me sick. Tas posts photos of food that makes us gain weight, and now he flattens us by telling us he's lost 85 lbs posting recipes. It's a cruel world out there.

That bacon looks great!

(Losing that weight is a great thing you've done for you and your family, congratulations.......... that's assuming you didn't weigh 185 pounds when you started losing it.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate that, Ken - I do have a ways to go, but it was a very good start. Most of it was during 2016. In 2017, my youngest son's "teenage gene" kicked in, and there's been a little stress eating. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odies dad:
Good lord Tas, you must weigh about 800#. I gain weight just looking at your posts. Everything you post looks incredible. I wish I had your culinary skills, but then I would weigh 800#.

Funny post, but I feel the same reading Tas's posts.
Fortunately, I have never battled weight BUT THEN if I had Tas's cooking skills and knowledge it might be a different story !!!!!!

I LOVE GOOD FOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Not FANCY, just GOOD.

Posts: 531 | Location: Australia | Registered: 30 June 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Tas.I can concur.When I got divorced in 1994 + took custody of my 3 young sons,you learn to cook.Since my eldest was 15 at the time,all his high school friends would come over after school as well.That was very cool,I knew where every one was in the evenings + I kept a full pantry for hungry teenage boys (usually in the volume of at least 17).My only rule over keeping everything clean was if you use the last of something put it on the list on the island + I will see it replaced for tomorrows debautchery.I've told this story before. Having all those young men to feed,Venison chili goes a long way + feeds many.Some took to calling me Dad. A while ago I was at the grocery store + this fellow comes up to me that I did'nt know + asks me "Dad,when can we have another bowl of your venison chili?" Good acts can come back at the strangest times.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
This is a good one. My friend that sent me the Bacon-wrapped Sausage Recipe, brought a double helping of this Mac-n-Cheese dish to our party last Friday. Thank God there were leftovers.

https://www.mrfood.com/Pastas/...-Smoked-Mac-n-Cheese

The one tweak my friend said he did to the recipe was to add finely chopped bacon. I'm addicted to bacon, so when I try this recipe, I am going to include the bacon. I don't know how much he added, but it was clearly visible when you looked at the dish. I'm saying a 1/4 pound of bacon sounds about right for the recipe, but if you threw in a couple extra slices, who's to know.

After my family finished the leftover Mac-n-Cheese it dawned on me that I should have tried to slice it about a 1/2" thick and made Mac-n-Cheese sandwiches out of it.

Made the Mac n Cheese last night. I can attest, it’s as good as it looks. Next time, I’m gonna put in some bacon and green chili’s, just to spice it up.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 363 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ooooh! Jalapenos. I forgot jalapenos.

Thanks for the green chili comment. I might go that route, but I love jalapenos on everything. (I'm anti-bell pepper.) I think jalapenos might hold their structure better than green chili, but either should be outrageous in this recipe.

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ooooh! Jalapenos. I forgot jalapenos.

Thanks for the green chili comment. I might go that route, but I love jalapenos on everything. (I'm anti-bell pepper.) I think jalapenos might hold their structure better than green chili, but either should be outrageous in this recipe.

How about green chili's in the sauce and topped with sliced Jalapenos? I guess I know what I'm cook'n this weekend.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WLW, did you do it?

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Yes, and it was awesome.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Putting that F-C, SM-n-C, green chili / jalapeno combo in my plan.

We have a despedida coming up for some good friends moving to Florida. Might be a good opportunity.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, saved and printed that recipe. Looks like a crowd pleaser!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Putting that F-C, SM-n-C, green chili / jalapeno combo in my plan.

We have a despedida coming up for some good friends moving to Florida. Might be a good opportunity.

You will not regret it. Report back on how it goes over.

Will.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have the smoked four-cheese on the Weber right now.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute! That was five days ago. Either tell us all about it, or go out there, take what's left of it off the Weber, and chuck it over the fence.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, I'll admit I was disappointed, but I don't have a smoker -- just a smoke tube that burns Traeger pellets. Just didn't absrob much smoke flavor as I had hoped and I found the rest of the thing fairly bland. Should have used more salt, thinking there was plenty of salt in the cheese already. Chalk it up to operator error.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a new family favorite. My daughter made and I smoked it. I though my son inlaw would like some with jalapenos in it. It ended up I was the only that ate the small batch with the jalapenos. It wasn't too hot but, it is dangerous to have someone who doesn't eat hot peppers add them to a dish!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks for resurrecting this one!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks X 2,that looks like a lot of tasty holiday snacks. TWALL,I'm sorry that you or yours as Yankees find the heat uncomfortable to what we call semi-mild.South of the m/d line we enjoy the heat.As Phil Harris sang'" + that's what I like about the south."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I think I will try this one again -- and add some diced Hatch chilis ...

Tas, that bacon haunts me...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,good bacon has a way to do that.I have to insert this easy recipe. 1 lb. of fresh brussel sprouts cut in half,1/2 lb. of bacon diced,a bit of black pepper + about a 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Saute the sprouts + bacon then add the sugar + pepper. Stir + serve. I know it sounds crazy as that is what I thought at 1st.Then I did it + it worked.Try it Amigo. R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NC,

I have found as I have gotten older I don't seek out the heat from peppers I use to. I still like some heat. I realize the jalapenos are not a'hot' pepper. I also am not looking to cook food for the family that only I will eat.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom,I wholeheartedly agree. In my youth I ate hot like candy;I had an iron stomach then. Today I can still eat them + with great relish but the next day is hell. I still apice my chili,just not quite so hot,but damnit,I still need Tabasco on my eggs at breakfast. Getting older does not mean complete compromise,only the hopefull wisdom of seeming so while getting what you wanted originally + make it look like it was their idea.