Find
Notify
Tools

Banana nut bread
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
As promised, here we go. This is fabulous + I have to keep a loaf at all times in the house as veryone loves it. Ingredients are,
1 stick of butter, melted
3/4 C. honey
1/4 C. molasses
2 eggs
3 mashed bananas
1/2 tbs
baking soda
1 tbs baking powder
1.2 tbs salt
1 tbs vanilla
1 C. pecans.
Bake at 350 deg.(in convection if you've got it) for 1 hour. Lube the loaf pan well with PAM. etc. for a easy release + a loaf you are prou to show off even before the tasting, which is out of this worl

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, got ahead of myself. The primary ingredient is 2 1/4 C. of W.W. flour.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
I always make extra and keep the rest in the freezer.

Posts: 1069 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Damn, that sounds GOOD! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is VERY good. Also the typo above for the salt should be 1/2 tbs. NOT 1.2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest--what is W.W. flour? Also the omission and the wrong amount of salt can be corrected by editing the original post. Only the author can edit it. Might make footnote about the edit.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, W W means Whole Wheat Flour. The correct salt measurement is 1/2 teaspoon. Try it, it makes a very good loaf.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I was shocked and then surprised at 1.2 tablespoons of salt, but then saw it corrected below.
So are all of those teaspoon (tsp or t) not tablespoon (tbs or T) amounts?

Gotta let the bananas ripe enough for bread so I will wait for clarification.

Don't have any WW on hand, but will correct that on my COOP?store run tomorrow.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4225 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES! you are right, all of them were tsp. Dependinging on how rich + moist you want it the difference is between 3 or 4 bananas, 4 makes it much more moist but you have to eat it quicker to avoid waste. Usually that is never the case. I REALLY recommend using real W W flour, the regular, even unbleached does not give the same results. Age old advice = just follow the recipe.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I think I will make some B bread today.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you, Ann. It will make the house smell great + you'll enjoy the results! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I decided to belay the B bread as the fruits are not ripe enough yet. I ended up taking some raspberries out of the freezer and tried to make a raspberry cobbler out of them but the cake part didn't float so it ended up as a raspberry upside down cake.

I'll give the bananas another day or two yet.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get my recipe for buttermilk pie?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always used walnuts but I'm going to try pecans. Thanks
Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always used walnuts but I'm going to try pecans.

Same here. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trust me, it's much better with pecans.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Trust me, it's much better with pecans.

Much better????
I love walnuts and eat them on everything from steak to ice cream BUT I'm going to try it the way you fix it and I'm sure it will be awesome too. Different but awesome.
Thanks, Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I've always used walnuts but I'm going to try pecans. Thanks
Zeke

I've used pecans in mine. Alllllmost as good (99
5%) as walnuts.

And plentiful here in the Hill Country...

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

(Formerly known as Dulltool17)

Posts: 505 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 12 July 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeke, that's why they make Fords + Chevys. Different tastes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Naner cranberry nut. Walnuts. One is going in the freezer.

So my experience with making this quick bread stuff is somewhat disappointing. The loaves are not very tall like regular bread. I realize that's because there is no yeast so next time I will just pour a double recipe into ONE bread pan and see how it comes out.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you won't have the short loaf problem using my banana nut bread recipe; It literally fills the loaf pan.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know, Randy. I was out of honey and could not make your recipe yet so went with something I found on line. I saw my 'bee' guy today and will grab a quart when he does a draw.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As we know that the local honeys help us with our potential allegies,etc. even distant varieties will still be good. Let me see what I can do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed, local but raw honey does the trick. Very medicinal.

Elderberry season is coming on now too. Another VERY medicinal but delicious gift from nature.

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I thought BANANA has become a TRIGGER word?

You know, it tends to reminds us of our glorious past.

When out ancestors were swinging from the trees and enjoying a BANANA?

Apparently this tends to give sections of society something to be ashamed of!

Unlike me, which makes me very proud! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66901 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more part of Carmen Miranda's headgear. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Making Randy's recipe today. In the oven now.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please let us know how it turned out and tastes! Big Grin Pics?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

This is for sure a prize winner for taste. Delicious!

I added dried cranberries and I tincture my own vanilla extract and used it. I also rounded up to 3 cups of flour. I used King Arthur Special Bread flour because it is what I have.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, looks like success; + as I have said before, it makes your house smell like Heaven. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YUM!!!!! tu2

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I need to bake another loaf. Ann, you mentioned "a tincture of my own vanilla extract." Do you make your own and if so please tell us more!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16347 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Cranberries are a good addition to this. I wonder what fresh cranberries would do. I also love dried sour cherries that I get from trader joe’s, perhaps soak the cherries for a bit and bake in the loaf for cherry banana bread. Add chocolate chips if you love the chocolate/cherry combo.

quote:
Banana nut bread
 Login/Join

NormanConquest
one of us

posted 26 March 2021 11:43
As promised, here we go. This is fabulous + I have to keep a loaf at all times in the house as veryone loves it. Ingredients are,
1 stick of butter, melted
3/4 C. honey

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I need to bake another loaf. Ann, you mentioned "a tincture of my own vanilla extract." Do you make your own and if so please tell us more!

Yes, Bill. Tincturing your own vanilla IS a thing. You need to know the beans/alcohol ratio and of course purchase your beans and choice of spirits. People use a variety of spirits. I have one batch in vodka and one in bourbon. All 'double fold'. It takes a year for the stuff to brew. Well worth it! Vanilla sugar is also terrific.

There are helpful groups on facebook for vanilla extraction and places (co-ops) to buy a variety of beans. If you do any baking you will never use store bought vanilla again once you do your own.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I second the make your own vanilla stuff. Have vanilla sugar at home and when traveling to places that make vanilla beans I would buy as much as I could. If you just use the beans for a recipe, you can still use the pods and vodka to make extract.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote