Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage - venison instead of beef
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Nothing new at all, we use venison instead of beef when making sausages. Anybody here do the same?

Here is sausage we made yesterday. It is made out of 10 kg of fat pork and 4 kg lean wild boar meat, which is very fine ground and works as binder.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Bet it tastes good.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I agree!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
We used "Florence" salami spice mixture. Tastes really good. Next week we will make the same, but "Polish" salami. It is simple to make with great results.

First, we water bath it at 70-75 C and immediately smoke for abou 8 hours.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks delish!

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 245 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dancing beer

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get my wild hog sausage done at Kuby's in Dallas. http://kubys.com/wild-game-processing/ It's as good as it gets.

I had a Jalapeno/Cheese Hog Sausage Burrito for lunch today.

I got lucky a few years ago. They mixed-up my order. I dropped off wild hog and when I picked it up and got it home, it was venison sausage. I called them and they traced my order. They had switched labels somehow. Someone got my hog order. They told me to keep the venison sausage order and they had enough wild hog to complete my hog sausage order. I got two orders for the price of one.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend here makes it using venison and pork fat, very good stuff !

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt up in Evant + the local butcher shop did venison sausage mixed with Boston butt that was to die for. I had all of my deer made into that sausage. When he died his son took over but it was never the same.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, that looks great and I bet it is tasty as well!

My grandfather was a sausage maker by trade and I have some of his recipes. I have adapted them from beef to venison and they come out very good! I use his recipe for Krakoska and Keilbasa. A 20lb batch doesn’t last long around here very long!

I hope you are doing well thru this virus mess.

Bob Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Bob,

I am fine. Thank you. Hope you and Raye are OK too.

In this time, I spent more time with father and his coworkers in his workshop (welding stuff such steel fences, gates etc.), we have beer on tap and make some meat stuff and cooking there. They are all about 70 years old, retired, so it is more hobby than business now for them.

Hope I will have time to make another sausages this week.

Jiri

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to hear to are weathering the virus in fine style! I bet that beer goes great with the meat you have been making.

I need to get busy and make a batch of lunch meat for myself..we are down to the last stick.

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
2 years ago before my son + his wife put their house up here on my property they stayed here at my house. One morning my daughter in law got up + I was sitting in the kitchen eating Kielbasa + sauerkraut for breakfast with a good senf. She just said you are really hardcore.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeeriverrat1:
Good to hear to are weathering the virus in fine style! I bet that beer goes great with the meat you have been making.

I need to get busy and make a batch of lunch meat for myself..we are down to the last stick.

Z

Lunch meat? Really. We decided to make this instead of "Polish salami" on this Thursday. Friend butchered home fed pig (over 500 pounds), so we have fat pork meat and we will combine it with lean wild boar meat (ham).

You are putting that into jars, cans or casings?

I bought canning machine few years ago, so a lot of stuff I put into cans. I use "easy open" lid on both sides.

That was my last batch of canned pork meat. My friend in Oregon use the same recipe, but uses jars. All done in pressure canner. That jar was just piece of meat unable to get into jars.

I never tried to can venison this style. What do you think? Do you have any good recipe for deer or elk?

Jiri

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
BTW I don't use hot packing for cans. How it is possible?

For the first, I seal the can only partially. Then I put the can into vacuum chamber sealer. Lid is almost closed, but allow air flowing from inside out, but not from outside in. After "100 %" vacuum in chamber reached, I left it there for another 20-30 seconds. After that the most of the air from the can is removed and immediately I seal the can completely. Can must be almost full, otherwise it will collapse or deform.

Jiri

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We used to bottle much of our venison(cube the meat and pressure cook) and man, that stuff was GOOD for sandwiches, etc. tu2 We also used to do the same with much of our trout. Big Grin I like the canning idea. tu2

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Lunchmeat, about 17 pounds. Made from home fed pig and wild boar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks great Jiri, you certainly have a knack.

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Polish salami, made from wild boar and pork:

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
That looks great Jiri, you certainly have a knack.

+2! tu2