Find
Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving dinner
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted

Tomorrow I head north to my home state to visit with family and friends. We are doing a non traditional type of main meal. I am bringing the above pictured venison thigh to roast for dinner. This is from a gifted fawn (button buck). Looks quite like veal.

I have been doing quite a bit of reading in between cutting meat and getting ready to travel on the best way to roast this. I am open for y'all's suggestions. I will have no way to smoke this so that is out. One interesting method I have been reading is to tie it well and get the oven to 500 degrees. Put it in and roast for 12 minutes and shut the oven off leaving it inside for another 20 to 25 mins.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, simple is better, salt, pepper and Paprika does wonders. Maybe trim a bit more fat away first, seaon & drizzle some olive oil all over it. Roast in an iron frying pan in a 550 oven to 145 degrees internal temperature and pull it out?
Looks tasty.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks tasty.

Indeed it does! tu2 YUM! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I assume when you mention tieing it you are trying to keep the juices inside but you might consider tieing it wrapped in bacon. It gives a really superior flavor. Oh + BTW, don't forget the garlic. Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, there will be plenty of garlic!

Contemplating a rub made of mayonnaise and fresh grated horse radish. I dug the HR yesterday and will haul it with me. We will either use bacon or some beef fat to drape the roast as well.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Venison roast is one of my favorites!

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I raised my 3 sons on it.
BTW, Ann, I emailed you the apple crisp recipe.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So here is how my roast beast came out. I inserted lots of garlic cloves through out and then applied a coating of mayonnaise and patted on freshly grated horseradish (from my garden) all around and topped with bacon.

It cooked a bit longer than I would have liked but everyone ate it up and the flavor was terrific.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it tasted as good as it looks it had to be fantastic!

Posts: 41768 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, exactly what I'm talking about! I grow my own garlic as well but I have not tried horse radish. Another thing to try. That makes a super roast!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, the horseradish really was a great addition. It did not overpower the meat at all. That was the first time I have used that herb myself and was quite pleased. I will do this again with the other thigh. Good thing deer come with two of them! I will pay better attention to the time and meat temp as I am a medium rare meat eater.

As for the garlic, I did cut many slits into the muscle to insert them. The roast is also tied to hold everything together. I neglected to mention that. I will use a fattier bacon next time as well. The stuff my mom bought was rather lean.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I am guessing that cooked to that degree will better suit many of those eating venison(any meat).
Horseradish is an interesting addition I had never thought of, will have to find some and try it.

Looked good enough to devour!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it tasted as good as it looks it had to be fantastic!

One of the best visual presentations that I have seen! Wow! tu2 tu2 tu2