THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    What to do with a 50 year old bottle of Scotch?

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do with a 50 year old bottle of Scotch?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
About 20 years ago someone gave me a bottle of scotch that was 40 years old.

It has been in the little bottle for 40 years.

It is a 1980's vintage Glenrothes.

I want to make some vanilla out of part of it, as I think it would be really good for that.

Anyone ever done that?

I know people are going to cry about using a $300-600 bottle of scotch for such a strange idea.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is a 40 year old bottle of single malt Glenrothes, then it's worth $4,100 (or more) a bottle. Doesn't matter how long you have had it as long as it has the original seal.

If all that is true, it would be best to sell it, buy a bottle of vanilla and pocket the remaining $4,098.23.

Or you could give it to me and I will send you 10 bottles of the finest vanilla extract on the planet.

BTW - What you are suggesting is like taking a Lamborghini Aventador and hooking up a Bush Hog behind it to cut your lawn. shame

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are you getting these prices?

I just looked at it, I thought it was bottled in 91, I was mistaken.

Here is the gouge on it:

It was distilled in 1989 and bottled in 2002, making it 31.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.masterofmalt.com/a.../single-malt-whisky/

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
https://www.whiskybase.com/whi...4951/glenrothes-1989

I just found this

https://www.whiskybase.com/whi...4951/glenrothes-1989

Do you reckon that it is worth $300-600?

It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's worth 10 bottles of vanilla. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think shipping is the problem, you have to have some kind of license to ship alcohol, and to receive it.

I found some outfits that buy alcohol and are all in the UK.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
It's worth 10 bottles of vanilla. Cool

Then I'll make 10 bottles of vanilla out of it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Somewhere there is a guy in a kilt rolling over in his grave. Roll Eyes

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This should move to the Humor Forum.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Scotch whiskey like most spirits isn't aged in the bottle. A whiskey that was distilled in 1989 and bottled in 2002 is considered to be a 12 to 14 year old bottle of whiskey.

A bottle that was distilled in 1960 and bottled in 2000 would be a 40 year old whiskey and correspondingly expensive and rare.

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could just drink it.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I am in the middle of a very delicate negotiation here and you're not helping with comments like "just drink it".

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wait until the day after the election and drink it quickly !! Your going to need it regardless of the outcome !

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bring it to DSC and we can all drink it together, does that sound better?

Posts: 1012 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
Yep... I'm all for drinking it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eh, I looked at it a couple of days ago. Still has the label intact.

I have zero reason to go to DSC, SCI, Sheep or any other convention with no outfitters at it.

If I kill an elk on the 2nd to last week of October, I am going to open it when I get home.

I had planned on having some when I retired from the military, but it didn't happen as me and the bottle were seperated by about 10,000 miles.

2020 has been a good year for me. New job (and a substantial promotion), killed a nice free range Aoudad in West Texas, and hopefully I can close out the year with this bull elk in the gila.