New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Time
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just ordered a Greenberg smoked 9-pounder for Thanksgiving. I like smoking them myself, but they do a good job without the hassle.

I used to enjoy shooting my own, but it won't happen this year; and the pheasant, geese / sandhill cranes are going to be a couple of weeks later.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I used to smoke them all the time using a smoker I built out o an old Norge refrigerator. I could do 4 at a time as I recall. I would smoke them for friends at Thanksgiving + Christmas. I've told this one before but we were raising a bunch of Brauns turkeys (the big ones) in anticipation for the big day. Anyway one night we had a bad thunderstorm + all the turkeys ran for cover under one of the outbuildings that I had upon pier + beams. I had chicken wire stapled to the bottom of the joists to keep the insulation from being torn down. Anyway, there was a loud clap of thunder, the turkeys panicked, stuck their heads up (through the chicken wire) + ran, decapitating them all. The next morning there were dead turkeys all over the yard. We didn't go to work that day, there was plenty of work to done at home cleaning all those turkeys.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Big Grin