New
Find
Notify
Tools

beans
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i grew up on frijoles (mexican strawberries) and tortillas but damn if my wife will cook any. she CLAIMS its because in my truck i hit the button that prevents all the windows from being lowered and she almost passes out. and the grandkids scream and...blah blah blah
anyways, i'm gonna do another brisket probably next week and wanna cook up a pot of beans too. in Franklins book he says soak em overnight, boil em for 3 hours with a chunk of meat in em. standard stuff. excluding any kind of chilies, chili powder etc, any other recipes?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, Randy has a great one -- and you can probably find Smoky Mo's in your neck o' the woods.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...9811043/m/3781084042

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16299 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Funny reading this.

Just had a dish of chopped beef, beans, garlic, onions, tomatoes.

And rice with lentils.

Added a few fresh green chili’s from the garden!

I don’t have the unpleasant air freshener problem! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66727 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i call it the "finish"

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Adding a pinch of baking soda during the bean soak reduces the sugar that causes the gas.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16299 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, my wife believes religiously in rice and lentils. Can you give your recipe?

Bill, you are a big party pooper. You are killing all the "Blazing Saddles" fun.

Posts: 13756 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Adding a pinch of baking soda during the bean soak reduces the sugar that causes the gas.

hell no! heresy! thats like drinking non alcoholic beer!!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I cut a pound of bacon into 1” sections and cook until it with chili pods until the bacon bends but does not break then add the cans of beans and other spices. I add a bit of liquid smoke as well. Garnish with onion, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Cook time 40 min to an hour in a cast iron pot or skillet. you can finish the beans in the oven or the stove top. If you have the time, you could substitute burnt ends instead of bacon.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
I recommend hatch chilis if you can get em. And I like mine topped with pepper jack (or queso fresco) and sour cream (or crema). And for the meat...smoked ham hock is the way to go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm perplexed. i have, in nearly 70 years, never seen sour cream in a bowl of frijoles. or heard of it. is this added on top before its served or during cooking or?

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, I like a dollop on top, and some grated cheese.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wife and i were drinking coffee this morning waiting for the deer to show up and i asked her if she ever heard of frijoles with sour cream. she said yea right ha ha. she was born and raised about 100 feet north of the rio grande just like i was. i told her what you said about a dollop of it on top of a bowel of em. said hell no. and only shredded cheese with beans is in a burrito. refried beans that is. her dad was raised on a ranch outside of a tiny place in new mexico pie town. hes gone but her mom lives in colorado now and shes gonna call her and ask if she ever heard of her dad eating sour cream on beans. said maybe its a new mexico thing.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, for God's sake my friend you know I am not an authentic Southwesterner. I might take care of my dead kin here, but I am an Oregonian by birth, so this dollop of sour cream thing could easily be complete heresy for this neck o' the woods. That doesn't mean it isn't delicious!

– John Green, author

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Saeed, my wife believes religiously in rice and lentils. Can you give your recipe?

Bill, you are a big party pooper. You are killing all the "Blazing Saddles" fun.

Depends on what she likes.

She can add whatever flavor she wishes.

I normally make sure there is plenty of garlic, some cumin seeds, tomatoes and green chilis.

Sometimes I add boiled eggs, meat or chicken.

Cooking for me is very simple really, my family laugh at me because all I do is throw everything together, and let it cook.

Nothing ruins a good meal like a so called CHEF!

I have so much fun going to all sorts of luxury resorts, when the chef comes and asks what I would like to have.

Had an Italian at a Canadian ski resort.

I must admit he was very good, as he kept everyone happy, including me.

I would ask "are you sure you can actually cook a proper meal?"

You should see the looks sometimes I get.

On his day off, a lady came as replacement.

First thing in the morning she said "I was told about you!"

I said "nothing good I hope!"

She laughed, and said "you are having your steak tonight. Well done. tested by picking it up. If it bends, cook it some more!"

I said "well done, you have passed the test"

"I will make sure there is plenty of lemon juice and Tabasco too!"

See, being rude works.

Posts: 66727 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I soak pints over night. Big pot lots of water, texjoy chili powder, cut up onion some salt, boil the hell out of the beans until they get good and soft. No crunchy beans for me! Then add sausage chunks or brisket ends. Add a cast iron skillet full of jalapeno cornbread, crunchy on the bottom.

Beans and cornbread is soul food!

Life is GOOD.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

I try to never be rude. And I really disagree with any steak being well done. But an NFL quarterback has said how much he likes ketchup on everything. Ketchup belongs on french fries. Nothing else in my opinion. It's all about what we like. And if you like your steak well done, enjoy. Strengthens the jaw muscles and makes you look younger.

Posts: 9945 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John, I P.M.ed you my recipe but just working off the cuff I forgot to add the can of Ro-Tel tomatoes + chilis. You WILL need that as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, an addendum on crunchy beans. We have a large alkaline deposit in our water here so if the beans are a year old or better then that occurs; however using bottled water cures that.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some good spicy beans and a spoon full of sour cream or Crema is superb. Try it, like green eggs and ham.

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Saeed,

I try to never be rude. And I really disagree with any steak being well done. But an NFL quarterback has said how much he likes ketchup on everything. Ketchup belongs on french fries. Nothing else in my opinion. It's all about what we like. And if you like your steak well done, enjoy. Strengthens the jaw muscles and makes you look younger.

A perfect t steak dinner for me is either a ribeye or t-bone.

Cooked to perfection.

Baked potato, with lots of lemon or lime juice, Tabasco and a bit of soy sauce.

We have friends coming over for dinner tonight.

A BBQ by our pool.

I am really looking forward to it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
John, for God's sake my friend you know I am not an authentic Southwesterner. I might take care of my dead kin here, but I am an Oregonian by birth, so this dollop of sour cream thing could easily be complete heresy for this neck o' the woods. That doesn't mean it isn't delicious![/Q

ok, you're forgiven Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
"Well Done", YIKES!

You can go too far either way. Gatogordo used to take his steak, the cheapest one he could buy, and aim it at the grill, like you would aim a flat rock at a still pond. He would try to have his steak skip off the surface of the grill once. Then he would proceed to eat it. Give me a good ribeye, medium.

Posts: 13756 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
A perfect t steak dinner for me is either a ribeye or t-bone.

Cooked to perfection.

Baked potato, with lots of lemon or lime juice, Tabasco and a bit of soy sauce.

Me too on the choice of steak. As to the baked potato, I guess that I will have to try the lemon or lime juice, Tabasco and soy sauce.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my steak rare + as to my baked potato (a prerequisite with a steak) I top it with butter, sour cream, grated cheese, bacon bits, + chopped chive onions. And you're right; Tabasco goes well with everything!

one of us
posted Hide Post
you got my recipe in your post for help above..and with its options...I was raised on a ranch on the Texas Border and grew up on the stuff. Try some Menudo if you get a chance I love it, but the family screams and runs out the door when I cook it.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
you got my recipe in your post for help above..and with its options...I was raised on a ranch on the Texas Border and grew up on the stuff. Try some Menudo if you get a chance I love it, but the family screams and runs out the door when I cook it.

we call menudo "asshole and elbows soup". one of my sons eats it, the rest of us would rather do like a buddy from way back when on the border would do......get eyeballs from the butcher and put em in his burritos. sick

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ate some menudo once by mistake. It is not a thing I hope to repeat, but know many relish the dish. Lots of "Menudo hoy" signs at the Mexican joints around here.
My steak and tater go-to is a nice big Yukon Gold doing the backstroke in butter alongside a pan-seared and oven-finished filet pulled at 120 degrees internal and allowed to rest for 10.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ate some menudo once by mistake. It is not a thing I hope to repeat, but know many relish the dish. Lots of "Menudo hoy" signs at the Mexican joints around here.
My steak and tater go-to is a nice big Yukon Gold doing the backstroke in butter alongside a pan-seared and oven-finished filet pulled at 120 degrees internal and allowed to rest for 10.

ok. since nobody else asked, i guess i'll step up to the plate. just how friggin drunk do you have to be to eat menudo "by mistake"? i mean, it smells like week old javalina road kill!

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:

ok. since nobody else asked, i guess i'll step up to the plate. just how friggin drunk do you have to be to eat menudo "by mistake"? i mean, it smells like week old javalina road kill!

animal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:

Well written!

Boiled asshole! Blech!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did I hear sacrilege? Cans of beans. Only way to cook beans is dried, soaked overnight and cooked in a pot. I'll accept a pressure cooker.

Posts: 9945 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I too grew up right on the border. I love menudo too.

Again, proves I'll eat anything.

Had tripe soup in Africa once and it wasn't so good. They cut the tripe (buffalo) into one inch cubes. Too big. You know how chewy it is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also a big fan of barbacoa and cabrito. You used to be able to buy live goats on the roadside and just find a sign on any given Sunday about the availability of barbacoa. Haven't seen any small goats on the side of the road lately. The goat in Tanzania is good, but not as good as in Mexico or on the border. They cook older goats.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, I used to see along the road signs saying "Se Venda cabrito"; not so much anymore. I personally like menudo. This is the Mexican solution to a hangover. A few years ago there was a program on NPR that talked about how American scientists had 'discovered' a correlation between the enzymes in cattle intestines + the fact that it opened the blood vessels of the brain to relieve headaches. HA! I wonder how much that cost us taxpayers for a solution that every Mexican already knows.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to try cabrito.
Funny thing about goats and some cattlemen. We had a well-known cowman and very fine auctioneer who loved to volunteer for the 4-H and FFA kids' project beef sale at the county fair. But when it came time to auction the kids' goats, he would step away and let another guy handle it. He didn't mind doing sheep or hogs, but he refused to have anything to do with G.d. goats under any circumstances!

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabrito is a kid goat, still on milk and ready to wean, or get its throat cut..split in half lengthwise saving kidneys liver and heart for some..

paint it with olive oil, or any cooking oil, and lay it down ribs under and let it cook over mesquite coals, maybe pecan or apple, don't know, just always used mesquite on a open fire, no lid. 12 to 18 inches off burned down to white ash coals..some use a red sauce of Heinz 57 and beer with whatever secret poison they claim..My favorite is the oil in a Jalapeno can for mopping the meat, gives it a twang..goes good with sliced avacado tomatoes lettuce. refried beans, and pico de gallo and flour tortillas..a burned onion goes well with this..Some lime the meat and onion and thats tasty IMO..

NOw, what is wrong with road kill Javalina?? sissies... beer Lone Star!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Like how you cook cabrito.

Javelina can be good, but I hate cleaning them due to the fleas. You have to cut off the scent sack on the back immediately or it will taint the meat. But if you do, they are good grilled. I like to soak them in a red wine and clove marinade beforehand.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wish Randall Weems was still with us. Crazyhorse would have had some thoughts on cooking javelina. Bet he and Gato have had some laughs at our expense Up Yonder.
hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Saeed,

no no no! when you are poor or are in college and broke you can mix ketchup and hot water for a tomato soup substitute. and it makes a passable dip with a bowl of chips if thats all you got.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JTEX:
I soak pints over night. Big pot lots of water, texjoy chili powder, cut up onion some salt, boil the hell out of the beans until they get good and soft. No crunchy beans for me! Then add sausage chunks or brisket ends. Add a cast iron skillet full of jalapeno cornbread, crunchy on the bottom.

either because i worked the night shift for so many years or because i lived out of a truck for awhile as a dumbass teenager i just can't go to sleep at night if i'm even a little hungry. so i either eat late or have a not good for me snack as i'm reading in bed before lights out. now, due to my recent bean cooking (for me) success, i eat a light dinner, then as i'm reading in bed i'll mix up a small bowl of frijoles and a very small 1 1/2" (?) square of plain corn bread, about 4 spoonfuls beans/bread total, and i can go right to sleep and not have to get up later and snack on something. well, that and a coupla shots of tequilla and lime or such. PLUS.. the next day theres the joyful sound of pent up gas echoing thru the house! grandkids love it and the wife is mad as hell. so...its a wash.and of course constipation due to my meds is a thing of the past. beans....whats not to like??