2 heaping TBS. brown sugar
1 tbs. vanilla
2 TBS flour
3 eggs
1/2 C. Kahlua
1/2 C. dark corn syrup
3/4 C. heavy whipping cream
2 C. pecan halves
This makes 2 regular 9" pies. Bake @ 400 for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 325 + bake for 40 minutes.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I can't believe that no one has commented on this one. I hope some have tried it as it is the best pecan pie recipe I have ever used.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I would love to try it. Unfortunately pecans are pretty spendy and I don't have any growing on the property.

I'm brewing my own vanilla extract and it will be ready in October of this year. Perhaps I will splurge on the pecans and make this then or say, in November during firearms deer season.

I'm going to make a pumpkin pie right now.

~Ann

Posts: 19130 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
I just made a pumpkin pie. I usually make everything from scratch but I found a premade pecan pie crust.
Turned out really good. I used coconut cream in the filling. I sliced it and put it in the freezer otherwise I'd probably eat way to much.

Posts: 1069 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I have baked pies using a very similar recipe and they are incredible. My problem is that I have been putting pounds back on lately and don't dare bake one of these lest I balloon up even more!

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16326 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
My problem is that I have been putting pounds back on lately and don't dare bake one of these lest I balloon up even more!

tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, this quarantine has done that to a lot of us. Combined with a semi-retirement + very little business due to the above virus keeps me from normal activity. Oh, also today at the store the 8 oz. sack of pecan pieces that have been $3.58 is now $7.17.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the pieces for the banana nut bread but the halves for the pie.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, also today at the store the 8 oz. sack of pecan pieces that have been $3.58 is now $7.17.

Why the doubling of the price?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same package is over $10 'here'. Probably closer to $12.

What I DO have are LOTS of black walnut trees. I wonder if a pie like this would be good with native walnuts?

~Ann

Posts: 19130 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, Walnuts are very fine but not for this recipe. P.M. me a P.O. box addy + I'll send you a pack of halves (you'll have to buy your own Kahlua) Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ann, Walnuts are very fine but not for this recipe. P.M. me a P.O. box addy + I'll send you a pack of halves (you'll have to buy your own Kahlua) Wink

Awesome! Do you have pecan trees on your prop, Randy?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy is a giving guy. I know, he's shared with me before. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I have several on my property, but the ones that have done the best are the ones that the squirrels planted. My neighbor down in the valley has an orchard + when the crows don't clean him out he has a decent crop. I'll' get these from the store. I'll P.M. you when I send them. Best, Randy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, a bit of the history of my family. My grandfather (who had a superb woodworking shop) built among many other things, a grandfather clock that sets in my living room today. He cut down the tree that my grandmother swung on as a child in the 20s to plane the boards to make the clock. It holds great importance to me, to say the least. Like any other artist, when leftover with the material, what do you do? He made back walnut candlesticks for the church. I still have 2. FWIW, he built all the fonts as well, with No charge. He was an artist in wood that then as today one can not make a living regardless of talent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great history, Randy!

As some of you know, I own/run a sharpening shop. I had a new customer recently who wanted some carbide tipped saw blades tuned up. Of course we got to talking. He has a saw mill and also does projects, start to finish with wood.

I am finishing a cabinet project in my kitchen, putting in a pantry. The item is a Victorian era walnut wardrobe that I found many years ago in a barnyard, I bought it on the spot. Project is nearly done but I need shelves for it now. I am having this fellow make shelf planks out of sassafras wood he harvested and milled. Can't wait to see them.

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
We need some photos of all this woodworking, you two! Cool

– John Green, author

Posts: 16326 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I will post my cabinet project in the preparing forum since it is for my garden and other preserves. This has been a lot of fun during the bad weather.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, and I would love to see Randy's Grandfather clock as well! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to post a pic of the clock tomorrow. I was drug-kicking + screaming into the 20th century + now in the 21st, the techno leaves me helpless.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, email photos to me and I can post for you.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use https://postimages.org/ for photo hosting. Easy to use. Free.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son is coming over on Thursday evening to post pics of the clock as well as several rifles that I am selling for my other son. We should be able to post then. I'm anxious to share my Grandfather's art. A lot of memories of that clock. When I was very young + staying with my grandparents, I would hide in the base of the clock. Hard to imagine now. The gong still feels very reassuring.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the pics Randy! tu2 Thanks! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful clock!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Made these last night. Seriously delicious.

Quite an easy recipe, Randy. I would make these again.

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
After seeing those pies, I will have to give it a try.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you like them, Ann. They are really easy + very good. I P.M.ed you my buttermilk pie recipe as well.