New
Find
Notify
Tools

wild boar
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Iwould like to know if anyone has any experience with wild boar,I have been told that the meat from a male boar smells like urin when its being cooked and pretty much tastes the same.I would like to go on a hunt to a game preserve and harvest one of these animals but if the meat smells like i have been told who wants to eat. thanks in advance for any advice.

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bad smell? not in my experience. The problem with all game is the hunter. Most do not know how to take care of the meat. The USDA has done all the scientific research The animal must be IMMEDIATELY dressed out, kept cool and processed as soon as possible. The strong gamey flavor and smell is that of spoiled meat. Since you are from PA- the PA game commission once asked federal meat inspectors to comment on game,They all agreed that 75% of game would be declared unfit for human consumption. The animals were healthy but the meat had not been taken care of properly.That's a very sad end to a fine meat source.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten a bunch of wild pigs ever since I was a kid. Only one was too strong smelling to eat. Most of them are great. You can always have it made into sausage if nothing else works.

Posts: 331 | Location: DeBeque, Co. | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote