New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hatch Chile Fix
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
No recipe, just got my full Hatch Chile Fix.

Market Street grocers are having a Hatch Chile Festival this month with chile roasting every weekend. Talk about a mess of chile products. They had Hatch Green Chile Sliders, HGC Chicken Thighs, HGC Polenta, HGC Chicken Pizza, HGC Pork Chili, HGC Chicken Enchilidas, HGC Lime Sandwich Cookies, HGC Pound Cake, HGC Chocolate Chip Cookie, HGC Baguettes, HGC infused beers, etc.

I bought a loaf of Hatch Chile Cheddar Cheese Bread, a jug of Hatch Valley Green Chile Salsa, and a couple pounds of Hatch chiles; un-roasted. I'm going to roast them in a few days.

Central Market also has Hatch chiles in the Dallas area.

A great time of the year. Roasted green chilies always meant deer season wasn't far behind.

Posts: 13756 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
HEB has quite a varied selection as well. Of course, Central Markey is just HEB upped one degree.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
went to el paso to my moms funeral last year and stopped by my favorite whataburger on doniphan and they had a burger with hatch chile. best damn burger i ever had.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They do go good with about anything.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
They are coming out of the woodwork here, but of course Hatch is just 100 miles away. Boy, they perk up a burger!

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 My favorite burrito is the Hatch Green chile chicken burrito, done enchilada style, at our local Cafe Rio. YUM!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in shopping for a good Malbec today and ran into a bottle of Hatch Chili Wine believe it or not. I didn't buy it, but that doesn't mean anyone from Alamogordo shouldn't check-out their local wine shed to see if they find something similar. I wouldn't point a finger.

Last year our Tupps Brewery https://tuppsbrewery.com/ had a Poblano inspired beer. It had a nice pepper flavor on the front end, but lost it by the second swallow. At the time I wondered why a Hatch Chile version hadn't surfaced.

Posts: 13756 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Last year our Tupps Brewery https://tuppsbrewery.com/ had a Poblano inspired beer. It had a nice pepper flavor on the front end, but lost it by the second swallow. At the time I wondered why a Hatch Chile version hadn't surfaced.

It has. Years ago I had a green chile-infused ale crafted by Sierra Blanca brewery. Awful. Unpalatable to the point that I sent it back, hoping it would be poured down the sink. That's saying a lot, because I really don't like wasting beer.

I decided after that little experiment that, yes, green chile and beer go well together, but not in the same bottle! I keep them separate now - chile on the plate, beer in the glass. My tastebuds are happy.

Posts: 3289 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine from NM now in Boise, Id. coming back from a Gemsbok hunt in NM, brought me a freezer full of roasted and frozen Hatch Chili (designated HOT) and they are that..I have one with about every meal.. I was raised on chili, and Hatch chili is definatly a favorites for certain recipes et al. but I like Jalapenos and Seranos as well...Im a confirmed chili head... dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just tried some Hatch Chili Salsa tonight and wow was that good! It is in my favorite category now. Ray I have to agree that Serranos are a great chili too. I make salsa with them from fire roasted tomatoes and cilantro with garlic, onion, and agave nectar.

Posts: 3650 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tried to buy some hatch chilies and the store owner who usually buys and sells about a thousand lbs says the crop was terrible this year. He had a couple small bags of roasted chilies. Anyone know what happened to the crop ?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Twilli, two issues with the crop. It was very dry early on -- almost no "monsoon" in this part of New Mexico this summer -- and the Trump hate on immigrants greatly reduced the available labor to harvest what was already a mediocre crop.
Not trying to be political here. That's the fact.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16292 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wasn't aware that there was a shortage. Our local HEB still has a good supply. Who knows where they are getting them from. It would be a shame to have to miss a season of Hatch chili.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
was in austin last tues met with daughter at Lupes off mopac (ees real good) mex restaurant. they had hatch chili green enchiladas as a special. waitress swore wasn't spicy just full that good hatch chili flavor. being a jalapeno lover /addict since birth about 20 years ago i suddenly can't eat anything remotely hot. get severe abdominal cramps. anyway, first and only bite was like fire. mouth hurt, throat sore, stomach in knots. had em box it up to go. dropped em off at sons house on way home. texted me later that night said they were real tasty but had to smother em in chili sauce to make em spicy. he knows paybacks coming.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John sometimes our stomachs change with age. I used to be able to eat mucho peppers just like a Mex but now I have to limit myself. I still love the taste but the next day is hell. I'm speaking of jalapenos, the hatch don't bother me. I have been to the jalapeno eating contests where the 1st prize is a gallon of ice cream. My thoughts were that one was supposed to sit in it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well try this, after a chili meal, chew peperment or Spearmint gun! I still eat chili on a daily bases, Dad squeezed a Serrano in my bottle as an infant, with a shot of sotol, Im told.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try that Ray. I always keep some peppermint lifesavers in my truck anyway.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ONe of my favorites is a white cream gravy and cut up hatch chilis over biscuits..To die for, and so simple and quick to make..Indian café in Farmington serves the best..Indian like American Indian, Apache, Navajo or ??? the food is great..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I eat green chili with red meat almost everyday.

I am making a Mexican Manicotti this week with green chili.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you might be able to answer this. My cousin wanted to go to Albuquerque for her grandfather's birthday but was informed that N.M. will not let anyone leave the state for 2 weeks. If true that would certainly screw up truck drivers passing through. Any truth to this?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are not on lock down yet.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are locked down now!

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, sorry to be late. Yes, we have been warned for some time now that if we leave NM, we may not be allowed back in.
Medical and wholesale goods distribution is deemed essential.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
New Mexican Connection shipped it . . .

Fed Ex said it was out for delivery today . . .

It is 6:34 PM local time and so it is unlikely it is coming tonight

Great did they single handedly destroy our 6 month Green Chile supply,
Hopefully it is not ruined, but those ice packs can only last so long.
Damaging a Green Chile shipment is a federal offense . . . . well should be . . .

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These are some scary times Bill. Thanks for the response. I was also concerned about the truckers passing through; that could cause big supply problems nationwide. If the teamsters decide to go on strike now they should be shot. I was talking to my old Mother the other night + she reminded me of the stories told by my Oncle Jacob + Tante Rita who survived for months underground with nothing to eat in Nuremberg during the allied bombings. They REALLY had it bad. It is rough here no doubt but it gives one some perspective.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Gadfry, guess who showed up about 7:30ish . . . PM that is.

Glad the shipment that was frozen was delivered on the end of the list.
Oh well into the freezer and on out way to NM chile based meals for a few months!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We eat pico de gallo on meat, eggs,hell I'd eat it on pumpkin pie or two day old bread, made with Hatch, and Serannos...Only chili I don't like is Habeneros , there bitter and taste bad IMO...I have eaten Seranos hotter than Habeneros they are much over rated IMO..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120