New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beef or Pork Cheeks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone done any grill work with these, or are they too delicate to smoke in the backyard?

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Beef cheeks are loaded with gristly connective tissue and need a long, slow braise to tenderize, in my limited experience.
Mark Bittman did an episode on "Beef cheeks in red wine with chickpea puree from Boccon di Vino" in Tuscany.
If you can Google up that episode it will be well worth your time, as the dish is simply incredible. I have a print of the recipe I'd be happy to send a scan of if you are interested, Kensco.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Actually, here is a link to the recipe. The show was great.

https://www.randomhouse.com/cr...s/04/beef_cheeks.php

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Which end are you using to get these cheeks?

Sorry, the temptation was too great.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4223 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm moving TCLouis over to the "Going to Hell" list for giving in to temptation.

Thanks for the recipe Bill.

I used to order the beef cheeks at Zafferano's in Perth. When you order beef at one of the best seafood restaurants in the city, that is saying something. I think "succulent" is the word that describes it best. It was always incredibly tender and sweet. Almost too rich.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only beef cheek I have ever cooked was for what is called barbacoa... I took the cheek meat and put it in the crock pot with garlic, salt and pepper, cilantro, and the juice of a lime, then cooked it all night on low.

The next morning, it was cooked and all the fat was liquid. I ate it on flour tortillas with salsa and cheese as a breakfast taco.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless-
You did everything correctly.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the problems I find is that when an Italian recipe with 'guanciale'[pork cheeks] is translated for an American cookbook the guanciale is usually translated to 'bacon' ! Sad because the two are different in flavor ! I should have some recipes for pasta with guanciale in the sauce if I can find them.

http://www.agraria.org/prodottitipici/guanciale.htm

Spaghetti all'amatriciana
1.5lbs spaghetti
1/2 pound of fresh tomatoes
6 oz guanciale
2 Tbs olive oil
1/4 onion, finely chopped
small piece of hot red pepper
salt
1/4lb pecorino cheese
This guanciale is unsmoked . Though the recipe is listed as bacon it does explain that originally it's guanciale
Cut guanciale into cubes ,cook slowly until crisp.Reserve the guanciale and cook in the pan the onion and tomatoes then add the guanciale.
"The complete bookof pasta" Jarret