From Betty Crocker: Outdoor Cooking with Betty, 1961:

quote:
California Marinade

4 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon rosemary leaves, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup wine vinegar (red or white, depending on usage)
1/4 cup sherry

Sauté garlic in oil. Add rosemary, mustard, and soy sauce. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar and sherry.

Allow the marinade to cool before using.

This marinade is really good, and we use it quite a bit for grilling. The recipe can of course be doubled or tripled as required.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Sounds good on butterfly pork chops;I have used a vinagarette salad dressing in the past.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
"Betty Crocker." There's a name from the increasingly distant past.
Looks like a keeper, Tas.

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16325 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I thought CA marinade was fruits, nut, and flakes soaked in kool-aid??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13123 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
"Betty Crocker." There's a name from the increasingly distant past.
Looks like a keeper, Tas.

Cool

Indeed! A marinade that is simple, but sensational! I have to try it out- sounds like a winner for a Pork Loin.

I have many cookbooks, but the two that are "go-to" books are Betty Crocker and Antionette Pope. Not surprisingly, they're original publication dates are in the 60s.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
I thought CA marinade was fruits, nut, and flakes soaked in kool-aid??

Yeah, we use kool-aid. Way better than the goat and hog piss used in GA marinade.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Nah, we use moonshine. BTW, how is the koolaid in the granola state?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13123 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't know, I don't drink it.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Our friend Craigster is one of that vanishing species of Californian confined with his common sense and aptitude with firearms in the far north of that state ...
Long may you and yours prosper!

Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16325 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realized after I posted this recipe that it really had been quite a while since I had tried it. I also recalled that when I had tried it in the past, I'd always improvised it a bit, and have probably never made it as intended; for instance, the instructions say to sauté the garlic before combining it with the rest of the ingredients, and I don't think I had ever done that.

I decided last week to remedy that situation; I bought a couple of nice ribeye steaks for the Beautiful Mrs. Tas and myself, along with the needed ingredients for the marinade that I didn't already have on hand.

One ingredient note: my little one-horse town did not have actual sherry anywhere, so I ended up buying "cooking sherry," which has a little salt added. I compensated for this by using low-sodium soy sauce and by going very light on the salt for the steaks when the time came to grill them. Other than this, I followed the recipe exactly, with great results.

I am not normally a fan of marinades for steaks, especially for cuts such as ribeye; however, the results were undeniably good! I probably marinated the steaks longer than they needed to be marinated (4 to 5 hours), but all turned out very well.

To me, the cooking sherry definitely provided a tantalizing aroma once it was added to the other ingredients; it seemed to heighten and enhance everything else about the marinade, without being overwhelming. The same went for the garlic, which in my opinion is probably the biggest factor at play with this marinade; I do think that the cooking/sautéing of the garlic was a noticeably good step to take, opening up the aroma and of course giving it the same effect as roasting it a bit, allowing all to meld together wonderfully.

Definitely worth a try!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tas! If it is as good as your other post,should be good.
I cooked the Serbian pork loin this weekend. A little of pecan smoke, Turned out fantastic!

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad that you liked it! That Serbian Pork Loin might be one of the best things I've ever "discovered," as far as grilling goes. Very little effort, and wonderful results!